GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,421
4 members and 1,417 guests
acg233, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Non-African American's in D9.

I searched for threads related to this but couldn't really find any relating specifically. This is meant to be a open and intellectual debate about how people feel about this.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a thread from a few years back that touches on this:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=87018

Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the thread
Old 06-13-2012, 04:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow after going through quite a few pages of that article, you start to realize there are still a lot of idiots out there in the world lol. Instead of resurrecting a few year old post I would like to start a new one and get the opinions of people today.

I'll start off by saying that I am a white guy,I was raised in predominately african american neighborhoods and went to predominately african american schools. So naturally the extent of my greek knowledge comes from being around members of D9 organizations. I personally don't see what the color of someone's skin has to do with their character or how they would help an organization, but even as someone who has attend one of the most diverse universities in the U.S., I have seen this problem. I have been told I can't pledge and org. because when I showed interest or asked about said org. I " wasn't dressed the right way" also because "I'm white". IMO i think it is foolish for people to say things like this,when they represent and organization thats states that they are NOT biased towards these things.

What are you all's opinions on this topic????
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

It's likely that they just don't like you as a person.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

While that could also be true, the words in the quotes was what I was told by the members of said org.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

You'd be surprised at how hard it is for members to say "We're not interested in you."

Good luck, though.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thats the thing though it did not come from a member of the undergraduate chapter,in fact the undergraduate guys wanted me to pledge. It came from a guy in a graduate chapter and after he said his bit about everything they no longer seemed to want me around. *shrugs*

I would think it would be easier to say "We're not interested in you." than to resort to flat out racism. O_o
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofHguy90 View Post
I would think it would be easier to say "We're not interested in you." than to resort to flat out racism. O_o
Well, not really. If they make it because of your race, it makes it impersonal. It's like if you say to a girl "sorry I'm not attracted to you, but I don't like blondes" when her hair has nothing to do with it, it's her personality that bugs.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Wow after going through quite a few pages of that article, you start to realize there are still a lot of idiots out there in the world
Like people with a college education who spell Non African-Americans with an apostrophe s.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Like people with a college education who spell Non African-Americans with an apostrophe s.

(mostly, just been wanting to use this. Stephen wtf are you wearing.)
Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow after going through quite a few pages of that article, you start to realize there are still a lot of idiots out there in the world lol. Instead of resurrecting a few year old post I would like to start a new one and get the opinions of people today.

I'll start off by saying that I am a white guy,I was raised in predominately african american neighborhoods and went to predominately african american schools. So naturally the extent of my greek knowledge comes from being around members of D9 organizations. I personally don't see what the color of someone's skin has to do with their character or how they would help an organization, but even as someone who has attend one of the most diverse universities in the U.S., I have seen this problem. I have been told I can't pledge and org. because when I showed interest or asked about said org. I " wasn't dressed the right way" also because "I'm white". IMO i think it is foolish for people to say things like this,when they represent and organization thats states that they are NOT biased towards these things.

What are you all's opinions on this topic????
My opinion is that it is none of my business who any private organization pledges or accepts for membership. If they don't want you as a brother, they don't want you. They do not have to explain or justify their membership decisions to anyone.

You don't know what you don't know; however, I doubt that you have some of the ancestral history shared by members of the D9 groups.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It's likely that they just don't like you as a person.
Everything that can be said about this topic.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
My opinion is that it is none of my business who any private organization pledges or accepts for membership. If they don't want you as a brother, they don't want you. They do not have to explain or justify their membership decisions to anyone.

You don't know what you don't know; however, I doubt that you have some of the ancestral history shared by members of the D9 groups.
This is not an issue.

Its more likely what Sen I said, they just don't like him. It can happen no matter the race / color / ancestral history of the person.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I also think people who troll over a misplaced apostrophe are idiots too.