GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,407
0 members and 1,407 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2007, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a typical day for a sorority formal and how is it planned?

I know that formal is a dinner and dance and it's kinda like prom. I was wondering how everyone gets prepared for it, how formal is planned, and what does the sorority do in formal?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-20-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Color me cynical, but you've asked quite a few specific questions regarding socials and/or recruitment with little explanation as to why...
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Color me cynical, but you've asked quite a few specific questions regarding socials and/or recruitment with little explanation as to why...
Ditto.

Are you even Greek? Non-Greeks are most certainly welcome to post on GC and ask questions, but judging from your screenname, I can't help but think that if you're already in a sorority, you'd find the answers you're seeking within your own organization instead of asking a whole bunch of strangers online.

Feel free to use the SEARCH function. You'll find threads that may be of interest to you.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, these are the kinds of questions someone who knows nothing about the greek system and is writing a book might ask!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Just curious, are you IN a sorority? Our are you planning to rush? Or do you just have a lot of random questions?

Anyway:

Wake up
Eat
Go get hair and nails done
Get dressed
Go to sorority house
Get on bus to go to venue
Get there and eat
Dance, drink (if 21), repeat.
Get on bus and go home

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-20-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapCoug View Post
You know, these are the kinds of questions someone who knows nothing about the greek system and is writing a book might ask!
My thoughts as well. Just to tickle them I'll answer.

You wake up. You eat breakfast. You shower. An hour and a half, two hours before you do make up and hair. Then you go take pictures and giggle and squeal a lot with everyone at the house/hall before everyone leaves. Then you go. Then you eat and probably ignore your date to talk to your sisters. Then you dance and if you're 21 you pay way too much for drinks (but hey, at least that way only the super lightweights can afford to even get tipsy which keeps them from being super-annoying). Then you go home and change and go out afterwards since formal ends before 12.

YAYEXCITING!!!!!!

Oh and this is how it is planned, at least for us.
Social: So is everyone cool with us having formal at xxxxx and doing xxxxx and xxxx?
Everyone: Uh. Ok.
Social: Good because I already arranged all that.

Last edited by ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl; 05-20-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 PM

You've disabled the PM feature on your account, so I'm going to ahead and bring this up here:

I looked at your MySpace (which is linked to your GreekChat profile). It says that you go to CSU Hayward (home of two sororities, Alpha Phi & Tri Sigma) and that you're "looking to join a sorority."

That's all well and good. Here's where I take issue:

I'm not a fan of the big huge purple text blinky that says "FUTURE SIGMA SISTER."

At this point, you don't know if you will be asked to join or not, so I think it's presumptuous of you (and disrespectful to us) to have something like that on your page.

As a national volunteer (a very well connected one at that), I have to tell you that if you are serious about rushing (and don't want to ruin your chances),you should remove that.

Thanks a bunch!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-20-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
You've disabled the PM feature on your account, so I'm going to ahead and bring this up here:

I looked at your MySpace (which is linked to your GreekChat profile). It says that you go to CSU Hayward (home of two sororities, Alpha Phi & Tri Sigma) and that you're "looking to join a sorority."

I'm not a fan of the big huge purple text blinky that says "FUTURE SIGMA SISTER."

At this point, you don't know if you will be asked to join or not, so I think it's presumptuous of you (and disrespectful to us) to have something like that on your page.

As a national volunteer, I have to tell you that if you are serious about rushing (and don't want to ruin your chances),you should remove that.

Thanks a bunch!

Ouch. Yes, VERY bad call.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

there's some perps in this house, there's some perps in this house
if you see 'em, point 'em out, if you see 'em point 'em out
Old 05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

As a national volunteer (a very well connected one at that), I have to tell you that if you are serious about rushing (and don't want to ruin your chances),you should remove that.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
okay, um a bit off subject cos now we're talking about something else, but for those of you without houses you do drive to the venue right? At my school I don't think anyone takes a bus anywhere except Disney, we just get in our cars and head out!... Just wondering!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
okay, um a bit off subject cos now we're talking about something else, but for those of you without houses you do drive to the venue right? At my school I don't think anyone takes a bus anywhere except Disney, we just get in our cars and head out!... Just wondering!
We take a bus! It's fine because people drink at formal and sometimes beforehand and we don't want anyone driving there/back home if they have been drinking.

DISNEY rocks.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
[the person asked me to remove the quote so this probably won't make sense but...]

I can't imagine all of this drama just to go anywhere! It sounds so weird to me. I've never heard of these things before! We literally get ready and get in the car, if we want to stop we stop, I can't recall anyone sneaking in drinks either, in my city it'd be impossible to keep track and no one would even bother to listen to all that if someone tried. No one would even go if we had to do that. They'd just go to a club!

(By we I'm referring to the Greek Community as a whole on my campus. I've never heard any sorority/fraternity member mention having to board a bus for her/his formal or any other event except a grab-a-date to Orlando. Also, I'm not referencing the risk-management aspects, just the different methods of transportation that is required for different chapters.)

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 05-22-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
When I was a collegian, we were not allowed to drive our own cars for Risk Management purposes. The members and their guests were covered from the time they stepped on the bus to the formal until they stepped off the bus after the event.

I'm not familiar with current Risk Management policies, but my chapter continues to use the bus system. The extra charge they pay to be bused to the event is wayyyy less than what they'd have to pay for parking, especially if it's at a Waikiki hotel.

It's a good system, and I remember when I was an advisor thinking, "I'm so glad we have these buses." It really does give advisors and chaperones peace of mind and I wish more chapters would do the same.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Unregistered-

I definitely understand about not being able to appropriate funds in the budget for buses, however...

I can't even fathom the thought of having any of the collegians drive themselves and their guests to and from the event. It's probably because hey -- that's my name on those damn contracts and if anything unfortunate happened, that was MY ass on the line. Chalk it up to "something I never really understood and thought was unfair when I was a collegian...but it all made sense once I became the responsible chaperone and advisor on duty."

Buses don't have to have the plush seats and air conditioning. My chapter's used the campus shuttle buses in the past and when finances were tough, they chartered yellow school buses that didn't break the bank.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 05-21-2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Took out a quote