GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,108
0 members and 1,108 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
That is absolutely awful and tragic. Hopefully none of us will experience that sadness in our lifetime. My dear friend has her 19 year old son over there and is scared day and night. We all pray for his safe return and will rejoice when it happens.

That being said, it bothers me when others try to minimilize feelings by comparing some terrifically awful thing with what they percieve to be a "minor" upset.

Like yesterday, my son, who got his license exactly 6 days earlier, got into a wreck (thankfully just a fender-bender but did about $3,000 damage to this man's truck). I was PISSED! - Angry, upset, worried about my insurance rates, etc. My father in law said, with condescension in his voice, "Yes, it is a bummer, but all of your kids are healthy." Well, OF COURSE I know that and appreciate it beyond belief!!! But, dangit I was upset when it happened, is that so wrong? Within a few hours, my anger had simmered, and I am just fine now.

I'm sure there are people who are even tempered all of the time, never letting things bother them, I wish everybody could be that way, but, I admit I'm not, I get upset over things that some others with much worse problems would probably think are silly, I get over them quickly, which is a blessing. Just don't discount my feelings because YOU think they're silly, they are MY feelings and I'm going to own them. It's not your problem, it's mine!!!

Sorry I had to respond to this post and I am not in any way discounting that what has happened to your friend, it just doesn't have anything to do with rush at Auburn, and telling a girl who is upset that just got cut by every house that she should feel fine because it could be worse is not really respecting the fact that she has feelings that are hurting right now.

When a kid falls down and skins his knee do you say, "Suck it up, your leg could be broken?" No, you comfort them until they feel better then move on..
Exactly what I was thinking, but said much better than I would have.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
That being said, it bothers me when others try to minimilize feelings by comparing some terrifically awful thing with what they percieve to be a "minor" upset.
THANK YOU!

Also, AuburnMom08, with 6 parties at the max and 4 chapters that your daughter could be invited to, it would definitely be in the realm of possibilities that Panhellenic would put her parties later. She got a little extra sleep maybe?

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-14-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Barbie, our husband's do what they do b/c they chose to. We all know the knock on the door can come anytime and we will will be wearing black and listening to a 21 guy salute. That does not mean we live our lives in fear and discourage our kids from having normal lives (if normal means living in 10 states by time they graduate high school). I'm sorry for your loss, but there will always be greater tragedies than our own. (i.e. 9/11 and Katrina). This does not mean we can't be hapy for our own little successes in life or worry about our own small problems.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, srmom. My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

sr mom, Thank you. It is like you were reading my mind.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Oh no I was not meaning to bring any of you down- just reminding you of the real world.

Carry on.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Sockpuppet?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
^^^Sockpuppet?
I like the way they're supporting their friend and her children by signing up and posting random anonymous comments on a message board. That's a bowl of awesome, man.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I wanted to take a second to tell you two Auburn moms that I think it's great that you are involved in your daughter's lives, and in the capacity that you are.

Without going into too much details, my parents were virtually non-existent in my college life. I think it's great to be genuinely interested in your daughters' lives, yet allow them room to spread their wings. You are both good examples of supportive parents.

Kudos to you both for caring, and sharing. I am truly enjoying this thread!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am on pins and needles here!!! AUmom08 and Auburnmom08, how are the daughters doing? I'm a little concerned that we haven't heard from AUmom08 this morning...I hope there is good news. Auburnmom08: Was your daughter happy with her parties? How many did she get invited back to?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, ree. I take that as the highest compliment.

WE07 - my daughter called me after her first skit party and we didn't get to talk but a second before some girls she knew came up to the transit stop and everyone was all talking and excited and I just told her to call me back later.

She called me before the party and as we were talking she ran into a girl from her HS who is also a sophomore transfer and who was a big fish in HS and she only had one invite for today and was upset about that, I could hear her saying all this before I told my daughter to call me back lol but she is excited about the one she got, she really liked them and has a friend in there pulling for her. She and my daughter have been friends since pre school. I hope she gets in since she really wants it.

My girl has 2 more parties today and then I guess its back to the computers. Sounds like she (and all the ones I could hear in the background) are having a good time today.

This is probably disjointed...hurrying off to lunch.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Update

Sorry, girls, I actually just got on the computer a few minutes ago, believe it or not. LOL I got a text from my daughter a little before 8:00 this morning. She was a little bummed out because she had been dropped from two of her top six, but she has a full slate of six parties (after getting two of the ones she "dropped" added back to her schedule). One drop caught her totally by surprise, I believe, because, if I'm not mistaken, that was one of the groups where the President and Recruitment Chair both came up to her and made her feel like they wanted her. I tried to tell her last night that that did not always translate to good news but that it did sound promising. Oh, well, what does this nonGreek mom know!! Anyway, I haven't heard from her since then, and I think she'll be just fine with the groups she still has -- two of which are very high on her favorites. Hopefully she'll call at lunch.

Thanks for all the support. This is all so new to us. What little I know about Greek life, I've learned by reading GC for the past few months.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm late to this party, but a big hug to all you moms. I think my daughters rush week at A&M was the longest week of my life. It is a very big deal when going through it and I think having a place like this to vent all your fears, joys and uncertainties is great. Now does anyone know of a place like this for the bar exam?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading all of this, I feel a bit of the stress and anxiety. Keep us posted!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post

My girl has 2 more parties today and then I guess its back to the computers. Sounds like she (and all the ones I could hear in the background) are having a good time today.
So if I do the math correctly then your daughter was invited back to 3 of the 4 houses she had visited in the previous rounds, that is amazing news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom08 View Post
Sorry, girls, I actually just got on the computer a few minutes ago, believe it or not. LOL I got a text from my daughter a little before 8:00 this morning. She was a little bummed out because she had been dropped from two of her top six, but she has a full slate of six parties (after getting two of the ones she "dropped" added back to her schedule).
I'm really happy for your daughter. Though it is a disappointment to be dropped by houses that you like, there are 6 houses who really want your daughter! Every time you visit a house during rush you gain a new perspective on that house and it's members. Maybe the two that she dropped originally will shine for her today!