GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,381
2 members and 1,379 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Local seeking NPC affiliation

Hi! I am the president and founding sister of a local sorority and we are currently open to the idea of affiliating with a NPC sorority. I have approached our activities director regarding a letter granting permission to NPC to expand onto our campus but since my college has extremely limited Greek life our activities director is concerned about liability.

My question is this...wouldn't it be a better option for the college if our local DID go national because then we would have stricter guidelines to follow as well as having to be on the sororities insurance?

If anyone would be willing to give some pros as to how a national would be an better option for the college than a local I would GREATLY appreciate it. As I said before, my college has limited Greek life and so they have no idea what to do when certain situations regarding Greek life arise. We currently have one fraternity (Iota Phi Theta) which is national so I am curious as to why the activities director is questioning the college's liability with a national sorority. As for sororities, we are the only ones on campus.

Any help/info is GREATLY appreciated!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2007, 04:46 PM

It is a better option to go national if your school's activities director is concerned about liability. All NPC sororities are incorporated and have policies prohibiting hazing, prohibiting alcohol on sorority premises, requiring a third-party vendor for alcohol at sorority events, etc. I'm not saying your local doesn't have similar rules, but a national body overseeing the chapter can only be a good thing from a liability standpoint, as far as the activities director is concerned.

Since there are no NPC orgs currently represented at your campus, your sorority and your school's activities director can approach NPC directly. If you have a preference for a particular NPC org, you can indicate that when you approach NPC.

BTW, I'm a founder of my chapter of AEPhi, and we started out as a local sorority called Sigma Iota Phi. So your letters make me smile
Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
BlueEyed,
Typically, I'd give you my "being local is awesome" speech. But in your situation, I'm not going to.
My own local sorority has flourished because we have an established system of locals, both fraternity and sorority. Your campus lacks this tradition/establishment. There's not really any history for you to lean back on for guidance. That can be great in terms of making progressive decisions, but it can be bad because it leaves a lot of room for bad influences to sneak in. (Basically, because the bushel is so small, one bad apple can really ruin the batch!).
The NPC (and NPHC and Multicultural) sororities have a lot of resources. What you'd gain is guidance, insurance, structure etc. Downfall of this is that you won't have the freedom of direction that a local would, but you'd have a framework for construction.
The downside: no guarantee of colonization. Dues will go up (pretty exponentially, actually). You're going to have to sell that to girls on your campus...which means push the networking benefits of national sorority life and etc. Loss of your letters (but you can include that in your chapter history).
I think that the presence of a national organization at your school will be a nice "anchor" for a new system...its a rough life as a local sometimes, and even more when you're the only one.

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Thanks to you both!

I'm going to fill my activities director in tomorrow and hopefully we'll be able to get the letter for NPC. I've contacted the npc expansion chair (to find out what needs to be done) and she says that getting the letter of permission is the first step. There are 3 NPC sororities that we're highly interested in but I will not name them here. I understand that there is no guarantee of colonization but if no sorority chooses to colonize us then we'll just continue on being local. It IS very tough being the ONLY sorority on campus (a campus with no experience in the greek life department) because we have no guidance or structure. I'm hoping that a npc organization will be willing to be the first on our campus and to help us establish ourselves If not, then so be it.

Does anyone know how many girls are needed in order to colonize a npc sorority?

Also, what happens during the colonization process? I'm not sure if that is an appropriate question to be asking, if not, I apologize. If you do not want to respond here please PM me

Thanks for all of your help!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedButrfly View Post
Does anyone know how many girls are needed in order to colonize a npc sorority?
Depends on the NPC sorority. The sorority will probably want to see that there is a good, strong core group of women. This group doesn't necessarily have to be big; my local had 10 active sisters when we became an AEPhi colony.

The NPC sorority may also set a minimum number of women who must join before the chapter can be chartered. However, they will help you with recruitment.

During the colonization process, you'll be considered new members. Typically, you wouldn't be initiated until the chapter is chartered. You'll be responsible for the day-to-day running of the colony (with help from nationals) and each member will be responsible for completing her new member education (again, with help from nationals).

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Awesome, thank you
Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys...I'm kinda bummed. I sent NPC information to my student activities director (which, apparently, isn't even her normal job) and this is her reply to me:

Hi Mary,

Thank you. That information was exactly what I was looking for when I asked what the practical extended responsibility of an institution was. I knew the NPC extension process would likely call for a campus coordinator as an administrative contact who would represent the college and commit to the integrity of the extension process on campus.

As you might remember, the Director of Student Activities position at RIC has been vacant for two years. As the Director of the Student Union, I have been trying to tend to the Student Union Director’s job while upholding the Student Activities basic functions – all the while fully aware that neither position is fully meeting its potential and internal goals for our department. Unfortunately, I do not have the time, personnel or expertise to dedicate to an effort such as yours at this time.

If I have misunderstood this aspect of the extension process or if there is another way to handle it without the administrative commitment, I would welcome your ideas and alternative perspective. Otherwise, I expect to continue to support your currently recognized student organization, as I do our other student groups, and look forward to a great spring semester.

Kristen

So, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can continue on trying to go National without a commitment from her? This really stinks
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Basically, she's saying she's a great big lazy ass and doesn't want to do her job. Keep bugging her until she does something about it.

"Can we have a pool, Dad?"

She's really shooting herself in the foot because if a lot more local groups spring up, she'll have a MUCH bigger job than she would if she would have permitted you guys to go national. All she has to do is be a liason - no one is asking her to do all the legwork, it sounds like you guys have already done that. Doesn't she have a grad assistant or anyone helping her?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

would it be possible to go to the dean of students and seek some assistance? or the president of the college?

it's a shame that your dreams are left to stagnate because the college is understaffed.

basically, to begin a colony, the sorority will send younger alumnae members(zta calls them tlc's-traveling leadership consultants-they are paid members whose job is to travel around the country visiting existing chapters and colonies and helping establish new colonies) to canvas the campus, putting up posters, chalking the sidewalk, and laying the ground work for the actual colonization process. this usually happens a week or so before the expansion team shows up. when that happens, alumnae members of the sorority will come to campus and hold interviews with interested women. -parties will also be held over several nights that are open to all interested women -video presentations may be made, songs may be sung, they may even bring in collegiate members of a nearby chapter so that the pnms can meet actual collegiate members and hear firsthand what it is like to be in abc sorority. invitations will be extended for the last night, which is pref. night. the pref, ceremony will be presented, just like it is at other campuses, with an established chapter. invitations to join will be extended and the colony takes its first baby step.

during the colonization process, local alumnae members and (at least for zta) tlc's will work closely with the new colonists as they learn sorority history, do philanthropic ,sisterhood and social activities and learn how a chapter functions. after a few weeks, interviews will be held for those women who are interested in holding an office and officers will be selected. after a certain period of time the colony will go thru the chartering process and become a functioning chapter. in zta, the new chapter will have an alumnae advisory board made up of local alumnae who work under the direction of a director of new chapters(dnch), who works under our national extension director. after a few years under the direction of the dnch the chapter will be turned over to the province president.

i know, i know too much information, but that is basically how it happens-at least in zta. different sororities may have different timelines for their colonies, but i would imagine that the basic founding and education of the colonists would be similar to all.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-09-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually I think this student union woman is being responsible. She realizes that there is an institutional commitment to bringing a sorority to campus, and that is a good thing. I have worked with a campus that was not interested in doing things the "NPC way" and it was awful--so I appreciate her feedback.

On the flip side, I do not see how a national sorority would require anymore time of university staff/administration than a local, other than the occasional visit from a national reprepsentative etc. There will be work required on the front end, in terms of the initial visits, but most national organizations that would consider expanding to your campus are going to see the staff and know what kind of commitment to expect.

Really what you need is permission from the proper authority, and in this case it could be the director of the student union or the dean/vp of students...whatever you have on your campus. Once that permission is granted, I think you and your sisters could carry much of the weight in terms of organizing things. Plus, you'll probably need a campus advisor if you do not have one already.

If you need any other assistance, let me know.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Agreeing with 33 and FSU Zeta. You really can't get around the Proper Authority issue as someone from the school administration has to be involved and give thier OK. I know that it is a toughh situation and I hope that you can work through it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post
Actually I think this student union woman is being responsible. She realizes that there is an institutional commitment to bringing a sorority to campus, and that is a good thing. I have worked with a campus that was not interested in doing things the "NPC way" and it was awful--so I appreciate her feedback.

On the flip side, I do not see how a national sorority would require anymore time of university staff/administration than a local, other than the occasional visit from a national reprepsentative etc. There will be work required on the front end, in terms of the initial visits, but most national organizations that would consider expanding to your campus are going to see the staff and know what kind of commitment to expect.

Really what you need is permission from the proper authority, and in this case it could be the director of the student union or the dean/vp of students...whatever you have on your campus. Once that permission is granted, I think you and your sisters could carry much of the weight in terms of organizing things. Plus, you'll probably need a campus advisor if you do not have one already.

If you need any other assistance, let me know.

You truely placed the onus or information where it should be.

One of the most schools that I remeber is the one that carnation is the most familiar with: Troy from Rome, Ga.

"An" campus advisor is the key. Do they know or not? Do they have the background to deal with it?

Being a Greek Advisor for a school is fairly new even today! It is relegated as a sub catagory.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk to NPC again and explain the exact situation with the student activities director, I am sure it isn't unheard of.

If your campus doesn't want to help but isn't out right against National organizations you still have a chance of starting up a chapter, it will just be more work. From what I have I seen you will probably need to remain a local for a year or two at least unless your student activities director decides to become supportive.

First, strenghten your local organization as much as you can. The stronger the group is the more likely an organization would be willing to colonize. You have to prove that even without supportive student life office you can retain membership, have women active on campus and have a high gpa. Right now a national group may not want to take a risk with your chapter for fear it would close quickly without a larger number of members and a supportive administration. Prove you're not a risk!

Secondly, you have 3 groups in mind and I don't know what they are but please keep your mind open when it comes to which groups you would be willing to affiliate with. There are certain groups that are more willing to work with schools that either aren't traditionally greek, have a high percentage of commuters and/or will most likely have smaller chapters. Plus groups with these types of chapters will be more familiar with your type of student life director.

If you really want to do this you still can, it just won't happen overnight
Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much everyone!

so do you think that with permission from the dean of students we would be okay? we do have an advisor that we can put down in the letter as a contact (it is a male though, does this matter?) and i would definitely also be willing to be the contact for the local sorority.

we would definitely be doing the majority of the organizing and legwork (as we have been all along) and we know the sororities that we would like to contact regarding expansion.

maybe i shouldn't have even brought this up with the student union director, i only did so because she has been the person we've been contacting with questions and concerns about our local.

i'm def. going to get in touch with the dean of students regarding this.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedButrfly View Post
maybe i shouldn't have even brought this up with the student union director, i only did so because she has been the person we've been contacting with questions and concerns about our local.
No you did the right thing. She is the most logical person to start with because she is your most direct contact with the university. Unfortunately, she is saying that her plate is too full to deal with it.