GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,785
0 members and 1,785 guests
No Members online

Old 12-19-2002, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Toy Stories....

I was blessed, by God, to have a child the day after Christmas. Since then, every Christmas, I wander frantically through stores shopping for Christmas gifts and birthday gifts. I decided to give my daughter what almost every little girl wants for Christmas a Barbie. As I was walking throught the Barbie isle at Wal-Mart, to my shock and disbelief, was a pregnant Barbie who happened to be Black (no other races available mind you)! I was totally flabbergasted! She had no "husband" or story line that instituted that. (I thought Barbie and Ken were single!)The belly came off and inside was a baby. Now, I tried to look at this from all angles but I thought it was down right tacky and an insult. I came back days later and it had been removed from the shelf. Even though this took the cake, other dolls were just too provocative and geared toward the teen/adult woman.

What happened to Betsy Wetsy? Raggedy Ann? Cabbage Patch?

Are dolls going to far? What do you think?

BTW, there is an AA trivial pursuit and a What I am going to be when I grow up board game that's reaaallly nice.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

miss priss I saw a similar doll (both AA and white BTW) at Toys R US and was a little out done myself. These dolls, however did have a "back story" about their happy family and how mom, dad and big brother could not wait for the new addition to the family. There was a separate Dad/Husband and child that you could also purchase (which I guess theoretically means you could have chosen to have her be a single mom by not buying the man )
Old 12-19-2002, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at this hot mess...
Old 12-19-2002, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

THAT is OBVIOUSLY a hoax! The dolls I saw were nothing like that. Are you saying this is the doll you saw in the store?????
Old 12-19-2002, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

what in da bloody hayle?!!?!?!?!?!

Old 12-20-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Toy Stories....

Quote:
Originally posted by miss priss
The belly came off and inside was a baby.
Even if it came as a family, I wouldn't buy this doll!!! So my daughter will think the baby comes out of the stomach? I know it's just a toy and all, but that's nonsense, str8 nonsense.

This is also a big reason that kids are growing up so fast these days, the toys are so much more advanced. Why do video games need ratings????? They should ALL be rated for CHILDREN. Period.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs down Sick

Quote:
Originally posted by miss priss
Look at this hot mess...
Surely this is a f*****g joke.
But on a serious note, this is just a manifest of people growing up too durn fast. It's not just toys. You go to a kids' clothing store and see these midriff outfits for little girls. What's wrong with something like Ralph Lauren layette, smocking, Polly Flinders (I reference that because I'm old )?
Old 12-20-2002, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

No this was not the doll I saw...but i searched the internet to find a parental forum on this issue and found this website with this graphic on it.....

(My point is) there is no quality dolls out there that reflect women/teenage (girls) in a positive manner.

Barbie is supposed to be refined, worldly, and a lady of character. However, I was sadly disappointed that Mattel would even think of going there. It shouldn't matter what the color or race of the doll is ....our girls are influenced by the products they put out and there is a responsibility by the makers of a product to shun those products that depect women unjustly.