GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,419
3 members and 1,416 guests
John, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-20-2002, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

What was quota?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2002, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Old 08-20-2002, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm

That's so wierd!! I know UGA usually has more chapters making quota than that. Our chapter consultants were just at UGA I believe, so I'll have ask them what they think happened! Anyone have an idea?

Tara
I have a Phi Mu castle...
Old 08-20-2002, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile AGD GOT 42!

Several more are considering COB-ing!! YEA!!
Old 08-20-2002, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
AOII got Quota!
Old 08-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

OMG. I just got a phone call from several local girls who are at UGA. Apparently, release figures were horribly screwed up and the cuts were major and severe early on. Every legacy they know got cut by her legacy group after second parties. They told me that 2000+ girls went through rush and about 900 pledged. What a major screw-up!!! How devastating to those girls!

Of the locals I know who rushed, there are now 2 Gamma Phis, 2 Alpha Gams, an Alpha Chi, a DZ, an ADPi, and a Theta. One of them was a National Merit Scholar, Most Likely to Succeed, salutatorian, drop-dead gorgeous, 80 billion other activities, the student of all teacher's dreams, and she got axed by multiple groups. What are the sororities looking for? I am so pissed off!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

AAAARGHHHH!!!! Did they hire the old Greek Life advisor from Georgia Southern???

This happened every rush until they finally fired the old guy. It happened the first rush the new lady (Greek Advisor now) was there, but most of the sororities have been making quota ever since. My last rush at GSU was her first. We hosted 3 pref parties (there were like 90 girls preffing us, usual was 2 parties) and got like 8 girls with a quota of 33 (not even possible according to the Greek Advisor afterwards - but we were stuck with it).
Old 08-20-2002, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish someone from UGA would post here and give an insider's take on what happened. From the outside looking in, all I can say is -- WHAT???!!!!!

How does this happen? Can anyone explain how release figures can be so screwed up? Aside from that, what explains awesome, intelligent, well-rounded women being severely cut? I really don't understand. Is it likely that groups will add new members to the point of quota through snap/cob?

It would be so terrible for young women to miss out on being greek because of some weird error in recruitment.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

How absolutely bizarre. What a lousy way to start the school year. Maybe at least some of those girls will find a home through C.O.B.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes I wonder if the computer system screws a lot of people!!
I feel really bad for all those girls!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's not working, shouldn't someone doing the numbers notice after the FIRST round of cuts? Do they really have to wait until all those girls are devastated (and the sororities are hurting) to figure it out?

Hopefully they will be able to make it up in COB.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation - I think that your information is incorrect about the numbers going through recruitment at UGA. My daughter is in a sorority there and she said that between 1200 and 1300 girls actually went through. I don't know how many girls pledged but I do know that the larger houses were required to cut more severely to try to even up the numbers. Again, I don't know the specifics but I am sure that many, many wonderful girls were released early during the week. Hopefully, these girls will be picked up during COB.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Seems to be alot of this going around!!!...

The same thing with the screwed up numbers happened at VSU. The quota was set at the begining of the week and never adjusted since that and it turned out there were only enough girls to have 5 out of 6 groups reach quota!!! Needless to say rush didnt work out well this year!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Rush at UGA has always been brutal; this year it just seems heinous. I must say that it doesn't surprise me, though, to hear all of these stories of woe. Maybe it's just happening on a larger scale, so people are actually sitting up and taking notice. So many wonderful girls (like myself ) rush at Georgia and end up getting cut heavily for, what seems like, no reason.

Just my two cents...

~ Annie
Old 08-20-2002, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA Recruitment

I am not an "insider" at Georgia, but a friend is. She tells me that, indeed, the larger houses were required to cut heavily. I know that the house in which my friend is an advisor was required to cut 1/2 of the total rushees the first night. In the end, the larger houses were all vying for the same 150 or so girls. Her house got quota, but many were not so lucky. Many of the prospective new members who were cut from the larger houses may not have been interested in others and may not have continued with recruitment. You can make the argument that they should have had an open mind, I guess, but somehow this whole process does not seem very fair to anyone at Georgia.