GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,375
1 members and 1,374 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 08-20-1999, 04:56 PM
Chad

Question what are the benefits of joining a fraternity?

I'll be starting my freshman year at college very soon. I don't know much about fraternities but had people tell me I should join one. Why should I? It seems like a good way to make new friends so far away from home, but that's never been a problem for me before anyway. Are there any other benefits in getting involved in a fraternity? I've heard that the rush/pledging process is pretty time consuming...
Old 08-20-1999, 05:22 PM
jake

Thumbs up

Chad,
I just graduated college last year and I can honestly say joining a fraternity was the best thing I did when I was there, It not only a bond that make with a group of guys but also with guys all over the country if you join a large one such as Kappa Sigma. I've met brothers from all over and it never fails to amaze me the instant bond I get these guys that I had never met before. So the only thing you should worry about is not whether to join or not, but which one you best fit in with to join at your campus.
Old 08-23-1999, 02:39 PM
PiKap Man

Cool

I can say joining a fraternity has been the
best thing I have ever done!I am a Pi Kappa
Phi fraternity member and have met brothers from states like Tennessee,Florida,North Dakota,Texas,Virginia and a whole lot more! I sleep, eat and party for FREE!!!! I love frat
life!!!!!
Old 08-24-1999, 02:33 AM
Geno alan

Joining a frat is a major thing to think about; don't do it just because. If you want to EXPLORE the idea, do a little research like look at some webpages and see if their principles match yours. It helps the rush and active membership go smoothly and fun. I like my frat, Alpha Phi Omega, but I don't like the people within due to mass corruption and favortism. We are the largest on campus, which can be a good thing but also bad in terms of control and order. But I still stick around because of the oaths I took and the foundations that the frat was built on. Think strongly before you decide to devote a lot, really a lot, of time to this...
Old 08-26-1999, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

The way that I see it is that you have to find the best place in which you fit in. It may take at least a semester to find that place, and it may not be a fraternity, but you need to give yourself time. If it happens to be with a fraternity make sure that it offers you 5 key things. Leadership, Scholarship, Growth, Graduation, and Investment. Yeah parties are great, but how does that prepare you for the real world. The purpose of fraternities are to build young men into men, men prepared to face the challenges of the outside world. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-26-1999, 09:25 PM
Jaime Prevo

Smile

I am the Delta Zeta Sorority Rush Chair at Central Michigan University. I know that fraternities and sororities are two different boats, but I think I can give you some food for thought here. I pledged 2 weeks into my first semester at CMU. I can honestly say that I can't imagine college life without "my girls." And I am NOT NOT NOT the sorority stereotype. I have excelled in academics, with much thanks to my group...I have mastered time management, I have made the greatest friends of my life, and I have had job offers by alumna. For three years I have been involved with our sports teams- flag football is THE greatest game ever invented! LOL My point is, being greek is an experience that can't be put into words. It's not just limited to the group you chose to be a member of, either. Being "old school," I know about 96% of the Greek Community at CMU. We're like a family.
My dad was a Delt Sig 30 years ago. He is still the best of friends with his brothers. That shows how important your "brothers" can be.
I hope that this makes sense to you. And I hope that you make the decision that's right for YOU. Sometimes I do wonder what college would have been like without Delta Zeta, but I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 08-27-1999, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

What are you guys thinking? The idea of paying money out of the pocket and taking time out of your academics is beyond me. Who wants to pay, or I guess I should say pledge, to belong to a gang? People shoud be self confident enough to know that they can keep and make friends on their own. There are next to zero benefits to joining a frat!
Old 08-29-1999, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

For your information by joining a fraternity you up your chances of graduation by 10 percent. Fraternity men have higher avg. gpa's than independent men. 85 percent of Fortune 500 executives are greeks. Check your statistics before you open your mouth. Thanks.
Old 09-01-1999, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to aklturner
Question

Whoah, easy there Puertorican Princess!!! I have no idea how you classify the entire Greek system as a bunch of 'gangs'. The Greek system is actually the complete opposite of a gang... A gang is a group of group of people working together for ANTIsocial purposes. Greeks as most people know work together for social purposes. Whether the social event is the often generalized party or the always left out philanthropical event that all Greek chapters participate in... Careful with your generalizations.
Also... Yes, joining a Greek organization is not free, but last I checked basically every organization on my campus has a membership fee of some sort. Greek membership fees are going to be more because you are paying for more events and items that you will get back throughout the semester. Some things that are paid for in your dues are... Formal/Informal, Composites, Housing (in some chapters), T-Shirts, and Insurance. There are many other things you get back that money can not buy. Sorry I don not know where you get your information from Puertorican Princess, but there are many benefits to joining a Greek organization that have somehow been kept from you while you lived under that rock of yours. The best thing about joining a Greek organization is that it is a membership for life. That means that if you should happen to be in a place with know one you know and you need a hand you can usually find a member of your organization to help you out.

Of course you only get out what you put into the organization just like anything. You can not expect to learn calculus from just going to class every day.

Hope this can help you out Chad, and good luck in your decision, Greek or non-Greek. Sorry for any mispelt words, etc.

AKLTURNER
Old 09-01-1999, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

There a up sides and down sides to joing a Greek letter organization. My advice to you is do your research. I joined a Sorority and it was one of the best things i did, i am now the District Director for my region. I have made life long friends. If you don't join a Greekletter Org. don't trash the rest of us it is a personal thing.
One love tand that is just my $19.52 worth
Old 09-07-1999, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Chad,
I am a Sophomore at Central Missouri State University. I joined Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority last year and I love greek life. I waited a semester before taking the plunge, but I am so glad I did! I have 70 sisters at my side to help me with anything I need. It is costly, but money and time management skills are neccesary in today's world. Greek life is about friendship, trust, loyalty, and service to your community. Puertorican Princess: Have you ever heard of PHILANTHROPY? Well, that is the social cause of every greek organization. AGD's is juvenile diabetes. We do highway clean up and educate the community on diabetes to name a few. But Chad, I encourage you to explore what your college's greek system has to offer you. I agree that you should search for the house in which you feel most comfortable... I did, and now I'm an Alpha Gam!
Old 09-24-1999, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I can honestly say that by joing my house, Sigma Pi, was one of the best decisions that I have made so far during my college career. I could just go on and on about talking about meeting friends. But it is more than that...it is about brotherhood. Hear is an example: I was going through the university of champaign and out of no where my car broke down. I didn't have any of my friends numbers with me who went to that school, so I was completely ass out. I ended up walking to the gas station and starting looking through the college directory and some how I got to the fraternity index and realized that my fraternity had a chapter there. After minutes of debating whether or not to call, I did. I told them who I was and what had happened and no more than 15 mins. later some of the members were there to help me. Not only that but they paid my towing fee and also one of the guys from the house was a mechanic and he fixed my care for free. Another example: At the time, I was not legally able to drink alchol. I got caught by this officer and one of my frat bros. said something about Sigma Pi and then the officer started asking me questions about our house, etc. Then he said something to me that only a Sigma Pi would know. It turned out that he was a Sig Pi alumni. So I ended up not getting a drinking ticket. That is what brotherhood is about: helping brothers!
Old 04-23-2002, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chscrew144
University and frats

as the phi gamma delta site says... it beats hanging out in rez!i met some amazing people in rez ut I met some who don't even not just not deserve being here, I'd hate for my alam mater's arch rival (my hs's arch rival hs) or york u to deal with them.

the guys in the fraternities and on this board I have either written to called, met, etc, have pretty much all been great. there are many benefits as i am finding out while I investigate fraternities. Hope you join one. Se the quote in my signature.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Bad experience

Am I the only one here that had a bad experience with Greek Life?

I joined up with Sigma Pi as a freshman and during the Rush period, it was the coolest thing. The guys seemed to be great, the philanthropy was appealing and to be honest, the idea of making connections was a major plus.

A week later it was a complete turn around. Every night, begining at 7:00, it was my pledge classes duty to shadow the brothers to make sure they had rides while they were drunk. This usually lasted until around 2:00 am. After that, they would usually have us do menial tasks until around 4:00am. This was a bad thing. When you have an 8:00 class and you're too tired after class to study, and the whole process repeats itself, things turn pretty grim.

They also talked up the brotherhood aspect, saying that "No matter what, we'll always be friends." I graduate in a week and to date, not one of them has spoken to me since I de-pledged in 1998. Not a one.

My advice to Chad, make sure you have all your bases covered. Hell, I'd wait until you were a sophomore until you took it seriously. At least then you'll have a steady GPA in case you have the experience from Hell that I had. It took me the better part of two semesters to recover from that.

I'd take into account that there are other organizations that do the exact same things that you want out of a fraternaty and the brotherhood is just as legit if not more, than the Greek system.

This was just my experience though. Take it as you will.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chscrew144
Quote:
Originally posted by Puertorican Princess
What are you guys thinking? The idea of paying money out of the pocket and taking time out of your academics is beyond me. Who wants to pay, or I guess I should say pledge, to belong to a gang? People shoud be self confident enough to know that they can keep and make friends on their own. There are next to zero benefits to joining a frat!
From my experince:

In rez i experienced theft, I was attacked, people berated me in front of my brothers and the girl i was dating, they tried to emabrass me in front of a friend of mine that i liked, ome kid broke into every common room except for one in my building and stole stuff I helped pay for.

In fraternities I have visited I have experinced: a warm weclome, very free beer, hospitality, help and encouragement, and a bunch of guys willing to help one another out. Fratnerity means brotherhood and while i;m not at present part of a fraternity i have grown into a supporter of the greek system as a whole.

it is hard to make and keep friends at my school. There are over 55k kids here we are the largest university in North America if you include Con Ed and have 3 campuses. Most kids here are commuters so you rarely see them outside of class. Even many kids in rez are from the GTA but go to rez just to meet people.

Oh and in case you weren't aware, it beats renting an apartment here for an arm and a leg. I guess there are no benefits to doing wrestling which is a potentially deadly sport every time you step on the mat. When i;m on the mat, unless i'm playing around with my friends, we aren;t friends we're opponents. i;m trying to hurt him and stop him from hurting me and he;s doing the same thing. But I have gotten tons of benefits from sports and fraternities are organizatiosnw hich provide friendship and brotherhood in an otherwise lonely and troubling world. Think before you speak.