GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,819
Threads: 114,178
Welcome to our newest member, adizyctexaxd585

Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Early Fraternity Women Who Were Lawyers 1867-1902

I just came across this wonderful photo of Grace Hebard in the library at the University of Wyoming and I remembered this chapter of my dissertation. Since I was only looking at the seven founding NPC members I may have overlooked a few of the women from the organizations that joined NPC after 1902. I was also looking at women who became lawyers prior to 1902. I know there are several who became lawyers at a little later date, including Mary Love Collins, Chi Omega legend.

"During the time frameof this study, 1867-1902, women had few legal rights. Therefore, it is interesting to note that several of these early fraternity women became lawyers at a time when women were not yet allowed to vote. In 1870 there were five female lawyers in the United States. A year earlier, the first woman was admitted to the Bar. (Newcomer, 1959)."

Since copying and pasting is extremely frustrating to do on this small screen, here is the link for the rest of the post.

http://wp.me/p20I1i-KD
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Helen St. Clair Mullen, one of the founders of AOII graduated at the top of her class from NYU law school and was admitted to the bar in NYC.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Helen St. Clair Mullen, one of the founders of AOII graduated at the top of her class from NYU law school and was admitted to the bar in NYC.
Would you happen to know off-hand when she was admitted to the bar? Or when she graduated from NYU law school. I will add her to the post when I get home.

I knew when I followed by advisor's advice, and limited myself to the seven founding NPC members, I would run into these situations. Hindsight is 20-20!

Last edited by nyapbp; 04-10-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Helen graduated from Barnard in 1898, and was a law student at NYU in 1900 when she installed our Nu chapter there.

She later served on the New York Board of Education and was a Trustee for Barnard College.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
Would you happen to know off-hand when she was admitted to the bar? Or when she graduated from NYU law school. I will add her to the post when I get home.

I knew when I followed by advisor's advice, and limited myself to the seven founding NPC members, I would run into these situations. Hindsight is 20-20!
I'll have to see if our history book includes that information.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!