GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,206
3 members and 1,203 guests
austinyandxtz54, Yodap, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

My AXS chapter gets a few people every year that come to rush events because they want the free food. Whatever, but at least they politely decline if offered a bid. This past fall rush we had someone actually tell a brother that he had no interest in our "stupid club" and he just wanted us to buy his meals a few times. I'm not quite sure he realized he was talking to a member, but it doesn't make much sense to me to use that phrasing when talking to anyone.
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEling View Post
My AXS chapter gets a few people every year that come to rush events because they want the free food. Whatever, but at least they politely decline if offered a bid. This past fall rush we had someone actually tell a brother that he had no interest in our "stupid club" and he just wanted us to buy his meals a few times. I'm not quite sure he realized he was talking to a member, but it doesn't make much sense to me to use that phrasing when talking to anyone.
Can't you tell a PNM in fraternity recruitment to not come back? I'm nearly certain in sorority you do just that, but how does a fraternity do it?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEling View Post
My AXS chapter gets a few people every year that come to rush events because they want the free food. Whatever, but at least they politely decline if offered a bid.
Why would anyone like that get offered a bid?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I think she meant that some of the PNMs come and ACT interested, but then decline a bid, therefore causing them to draw the conclusion that they were just there for the food.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I think she meant that some of the PNMs come and ACT interested, but then decline a bid, therefore causing them to draw the conclusion that they were just there for the food.
Yes about the acting interested. Some of them will say later they were just there for the food, and other times they aren't sure about the time commitment. Two acquaintances that rushed with me decided after one or two events that they weren't interested, but kept coming because they wanted food or had other friends that were going.

I apologize if my phrasing was weird
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

One would hope the friends would gain interest.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Part of it might have to do with the way our rush is structured. We deliver flyers or brochures to students who have taken the minimum number of chemistry courses required for membership. There's no formal registration; PNMs come to events whenever they feel like it and they're added to the rush list. Sometimes a person's lack of interest isn't apparent and they may still be offered a bid if there isn't a solid case against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Can't you tell a PNM in fraternity recruitment to not come back? I'm nearly certain in sorority you do just that, but how does a fraternity do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
One would hope the friends would gain interest.
To my knowledge, we haven't told anyone not to come back during the past few years. Thanks for bringing that point up; I'll have to ask about that in case it comes up in Spring Rush.

Sometimes having friends who are actives does raise interest. On the other hand if the PNM doesn't feel AXS is for them they still have friends in chapter who can recommend them. Occasionally an active does hear a PNM talking about their lack of interest which helps to weed them out. I guess it's kind of like telling those going through NPC Recruitment not to engage in tent talk just in case someone overhears (among other reasons).
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a PNM who apparently told our president to go back to her country while she was working out at the gym.

Why the PNM decided to go to our rush events afterwards is beyond me.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlicious View Post
There was a PNM who apparently told our president to go back to her country while she was working out at the gym.

Why the PNM decided to go to our rush events afterwards is beyond me.
Did the PNM know that she was the president?

In any case, I don't understand why someone would say that to any member of any group they would want to get in.....
Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSKsilver View Post
Did the PNM know that she was the president?

In any case, I don't understand why someone would say that to any member of any group they would want to get in.....
Why would anyone who wanted to be considered a decent human being say that to anyone else? Whether or not there are organizations involved.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

This past year at formal recruitment, I encountered two extremely rude PNMs. The first one ignored me and my sisters, texted constantly, then made a phone call and left. The other PNM asked me and my sisters, "Was this sorority REALLY your first choice? I don't know why anyone would actually choose to be here". Yeah, that happened. Needless to say, we cut both of them from the next round.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue912 View Post
This past year at formal recruitment, I encountered two extremely rude PNMs. The first one ignored me and my sisters, texted constantly, then made a phone call and left. The other PNM asked me and my sisters, "Was this sorority REALLY your first choice? I don't know why anyone would actually choose to be here". Yeah, that happened. Needless to say, we cut both of them from the next round.
It never fails regardless of era there will be rude PNMs. I had a rude girl that grew up in the same town as I and moved before HS. I was trying to make small talk with her and we got to talking about a girl who had passed away. The PNM was very rude about it and was like "whatever", knowing this girl and I were extremely close. Needless to say she was cut without any debate...and the fact she sent in extremely slutty pictures of herself for the slide reviews probably didn't help either...LOL

I had another girl who was rude another year. She was strange, and it was apparent she didn't want to be there and acted as if she was being tortured. She flat out said she didn't want to talk to anyone, her mom was an "XYZ" her dad was an "ZYX" and she knew she would get a bid to "XYZ" but didn't want to be there. She was cut from "XYZ" and was probably much happier in her independent life. To describe her she would have been a hardcore "emo" "goth" (not that there is anything wrong with that) had "emo" and "goth" been part of culture then.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSquirrelBeta View Post
I had another girl who was rude another year. She was strange, and it was apparent she didn't want to be there and acted as if she was being tortured. She flat out said she didn't want to talk to anyone, her mom was an "XYZ" her dad was an "ZYX" and she knew she would get a bid to "XYZ" but didn't want to be there. She was cut from "XYZ" and was probably much happier in her independent life. To describe her she would have been a hardcore "emo" "goth" (not that there is anything wrong with that) had "emo" and "goth" been part of culture then.
There's no reason for her to be melodramatic, but if a woman really doesn't want to be at ANY chapter, I don't think it's so bad to act in a manner that lets the chapters know. Better that, then for someone to invite her back in the place of someone who DID want to be there.