GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,429
3 members and 1,426 guests
aantonygooglet9, Xidelt

Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Curious

Hi everyone! I'm a freshman at LSU and i didn't join a soroity this year. I recently decided that i would really like to join one and i was wondering if its uncommon to join one in your second year of college.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I answered your question under a different thread but here it is again...

Go for it LSU182!

The sophomore I wrote a rec for did extremely well during rush and pledged her first choice. She did, however, have friends in multiple sororities on campus, most of which she met in her classes. My advice is to get involved and meet as many people as possible.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsu_rosewhite View Post
I answered your question under a different thread but here it is again...

Go for it LSU182!

The sophomore I wrote a rec for did extremely well during rush and pledged her first choice. She did, however, have friends in multiple sororities on campus, most of which she met in her classes. My advice is to get involved and meet as many people as possible.

This is not the typical LSU experience. Your friend is a pretty lucky girl!

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say that if you're willing to be open-minded, and accept what you get, go ahead and rush. If you will only accept being in a #1 house, you might want to reconsider whether you want to spend the time/money.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

A neighbor pledged her top choice (which happened to be KKG!!! ) at LSU as a sophomore, but that was probably 16 years ago.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's impossible to get your top choice as a Soph. at an SEC, but like I said, if that's your ONLY choice, you may end up severly disappointed.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

KSUViolet,

I was surprised at some of the difficult LSU rush experiences that were posted here on GC. I recall everyone I knew (or came into contact with during the week) being placed somewhere, although I wasn't always aware of what their top choices were. Of course, a lot can happen in 20+ years since I experienced rush.

All a PNM can do is be prepared. I encourage LSU182 to give it a try. I can tell that the poster has seen how active and fun Greek life is at LSU. She can always drop out if she is unhappy with her choices and benefit other organizations on campus.

I say go for it!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsu_rosewhite View Post
KSUViolet,

I was surprised at some of the difficult LSU rush experiences that were posted here on GC. I recall everyone I knew (or came into contact with during the week) being placed somewhere, although I wasn't always aware of what their top choices were. Of course, a lot can happen in 20+ years since I experienced rush.

All a PNM can do is be prepared. I encourage LSU182 to give it a try. I can tell that the poster has seen how active and fun Greek life is at LSU. She can always drop out if she is unhappy with her choices and benefit other organizations on campus.

I say go for it!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I think this is sound advice that can go for every PNM, especially "nontraditional" (upperclasswomen, transfers, etc) ones. You might want to do a little extra soul searching and make sure to thicken your skin a little bit if you know your class standing/GPA/whatever may work against you, but you'll never know unless you try. I bet there are tons of women out there that would have found a wonderful sorority but didn't rush out of fear of rejection. I think it's worse to always have a "what if" instead of knowing for sure -- no matter what the result.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You definitely have a chance, but you should go in with an open mind. The 10 NPC sororities (if that is what you're looking into) are all top chapters in my opinion. The groups all have beautiful, intelligent girls (I know everyone says that, but it's true!) who are involved in other activities. Each group does have its own personality, but none of them have bad reps. Being a sophomore will get you cut by some groups, but many others will welcome you with open arms. Also, be sure to check out the Greek Affairs website (though they are often lacking good info) and contact Angela Guillory about Spring Recruitment. I don't know how many houses will be participating, but a few usually do. Good luck! Also, I agree with the above poster who said to get involved and meet people - talk to your current Greek classmates and befriend them. It's definitely a bonus going into recruitment with friends in the houses.

Last edited by Hegemon; 11-02-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I think im going to give it a shot. thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Definitely check out Spring Recruitment. Please stick around and keep us posted
Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

2 very different experiences

So I'm a transfer student right? I rushed as a freshman but in my pledge class of 55 we had at least 5 sophomores and 1 junior, which I believe was the 'max' that could be taken (some chapters may have a 'sophomore quota' though I don't know that there's any way to really find that out, it was just something that I'd heard talked about after rush). Recruitment was still a little hectic but definitely more calm then elsewhere. I didn't realize that until I transfered. My current chapter did not take ANY sophomores this year and in past pledge classes they have taken a max of 1. I know that many other chapters on campus are like this as well. It really depends on the group. I HIGHLY encourage you to go through recruitment, it's a great experience and you meet some amazing girls. Will you be at any sort of disadvantage rushing as a sophomore? probably slightly just due to numbers but it varies from school to school and I'm not going to claim to know ANYTHING about rush at LSU! But I really have yet to meet a girl in another chapter that doesn't absolutely love her sorority, so full speed ahead!