GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,720
2 members and 1,718 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
Totally agree...she lost me with all of the words and repetitive rants about scoring PNMs based on appearance...plus her claim that Michigan's CPC does not allow ranking or scoring of PNMs.
It doesn’t even make sense because Panhellenic can’t tell individual sororities what criteria to use (except for things that apply to everyone like being a full time student).
Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The google doc correctly outlines, in detail, how Alpha Phi recruits. It is a method designed by the current president of Alpha Phi who proudly gathers the ELCs around her to teach it to them before she visits our chapters.

I call on all Alpha Phi alumnae who are completely disgusted with it to write to the current Committee on Leadership who are slating the people for our next Board that will be elected at the next convention. Deliver to them the message that we need wholesale change of the Fraternity Board, the Foundation Board, the Panhellenic Delegation, and the Executive Director (interim, or not) needs to go. Return the Fraternity to a respected place in the greek community.

If you are advising collegians, share the google doc with them. Have a discussion with them. If they agree that they don't like it, they too can have a voice. Have them come to their next regional conference prepared to raise their hand and say that they don't agree with the hazing of our own members, the blatant disregard for our stated values, and not being allowed to truly select their own members.

If they don't make serious changes, meet me at convention for a floor fight of epic proportions.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sororanon View Post
The google doc correctly outlines, in detail, how Alpha Phi recruits. It is a method designed by the current president of Alpha Phi who proudly gathers the ELCs around her to teach it to them before she visits our chapters.

I call on all Alpha Phi alumnae who are completely disgusted with it to write to the current Committee on Leadership who are slating the people for our next Board that will be elected at the next convention. Deliver to them the message that we need wholesale change of the Fraternity Board, the Foundation Board, the Panhellenic Delegation, and the Executive Director (interim, or not) needs to go. Return the Fraternity to a respected place in the greek community.

If you are advising collegians, share the google doc with them. Have a discussion with them. If they agree that they don't like it, they too can have a voice. Have them come to their next regional conference prepared to raise their hand and say that they don't agree with the hazing of our own members, the blatant disregard for our stated values, and not being allowed to truly select their own members.

If they don't make serious changes, meet me at convention for a floor fight of epic proportions.
sororanon I can only imagine the heartache you must feel watching an organization that you admire and love being led down a path so far from the vision of your founders and that which you experienced. If this were my beloved organization, I know I would feel the same way. I admire your courage and dedication. Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:17 PM

As a sister, it’s very difficult to watch this happen. Sometimes it makes me wonder if it will ever change for the better.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
As a sister, it’s very difficult to watch this happen. Sometimes it makes me wonder if it will ever change for the better.
Nothing can change unless there are enough people willing to work toward and facilitate such change.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Nothing can change with institutional barriers that prevent the people in power from being removed. This organization has a secret sorority behind it. They recruit their new members through the ELCs and certain other volunteers. Every barrier imagined has been erected to prevent any challenge to their authority.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 PM

I agree.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Just WOW.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I volunteer at a collegient chapter. I have seen the described process played out. The ELC told me and I quote “we are only recruiting for looks.” I have been on the verge of quitting nearly every recruitment. Looks are definitely valued more than brains or other attributes. I’ve complained repeatedly and been told it is a sacrosanct program and had my hand slapped. I love the girls and my fellow advisors but beyond that, hmmm, no.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It breaks my heart to hear all of you confirm what was said. I believe you all and I feel for you that you are confronted with sisters who clearly do not share the values you do. It is disappointing that the national organization has sold their souls to the recruitment devil and I hope those with cooler heads are able to take charge and put an end to these practices.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerState View Post
Hi, I volunteer at a collegient chapter. I have seen the described process played out. The ELC told me and I quote “we are only recruiting for looks.” I have been on the verge of quitting nearly every recruitment. Looks are definitely valued more than brains or other attributes. I’ve complained repeatedly and been told it is a sacrosanct program and had my hand slapped. I love the girls and my fellow advisors but beyond that, hmmm, no.
I’ve seen it first hand too. I won’t go into specifics but let’s just say I was sickened by it.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 PM

I am sure we had this discussion at some point regarding alumnae at rush functions, but isn't there a way the school can keep them out? (Especially if rush is held in on campus buildings)
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow - I totally wrote this off until you all confirmed it. Perhaps having this publicly aired will create some pressure to change from within?

I love recruitment, but can imagine I'd have a totally different impression if I were a collegian or adviser with this going on.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I have yet to have had the opportunity to work with collegians, but knew this had to be true simply by looking at chapter photos.

I admire those of you speaking up and thank you for it.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
I admire those of you speaking up
I was going to say this, but you beat me to it.

Just know that true leadership doesn't necessarily flow from those in leadership positions. The REAL leaders are those who see something happening that doesn't seem or feel right, and then SPEAK UP about it, and don't fear rocking the boat. That's leadership.

Good luck and best wishes accomplishing what you feel is the right thing to do. Use your Ritual as a roadmap.