GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,024
3 members and 1,021 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
Hey all-

I have a few questions; some of them may be basic, but bear with me...its the first time my sorority is particiapting in formal rush. I'm the Panhel delegate, so everyone keeps comming to me with questions- and I left my Green Book at school!!!

Ok, when we make a 1st choice bid list, do we fill the list until quota? IE- quota is 20. Do we list 20 girls, in alphabetical order, then place the other girls on the second bid list?

. . . .
DolphinChicaDDD,

Best wishes with recruitment! When it comes to creating your first and second lists, you will also want to be sure you follow Tri Delta's legacy policy (if any legacies attended your pref parties). That policy is stated on the HQ web site, in the recruitment section, and it could affect the arrangement of the second list. Your alumna advisers and regional / national representatives / officers should be able to assist you, of course.

Again, all the best!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not sure if this was asked earlier....are snap bids and quota additions the same things?? If not, explain the difference. We never used to follow the rules on that correctly at my school....it has changed since...but being the old rush chair I am still confused!!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
No, they are not the same thing.

Quota additions are done immediately after computerized bid matching. If a woman did not match, she can be hand-added to a chapter's bid list. This is done by the people (Greek Life?) doing the matching, and nobody knows who the quota additions are outside that room.

Snap bids come next. Chapters that did not make quota have the option of picking up women who did not match. Generally, the Rho Chi calls the woman and tells her she did not match with a group on her bid card, but XYZ would like to extend her a bid, and she has the option of accepting. You can receive a snap bid from more than one group, in which case your Rho Chi calls and gives you your options.

So basically, if you are a quota addition, you will never know, but if you are a snap bid, you will.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok...next question. I understand that quota additions and snap bids are meant for groups under quota...but what is the 5% rule. Is that only for quota additions? Or can people at quota snap bid also??
Old 05-31-2004, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl
To my knowledge, if you make quota through traditional bid matching, you may not snap bid above quota. However, if you are not at chapter total this may be a separate issue.

I believe that you are right. Even if the chapter is under total, if they meet quota, they cannot snap bid. That is what COB is for.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
Ok...next question. I understand that quota additions and snap bids are meant for groups under quota...but what is the 5% rule. Is that only for quota additions? Or can people at quota snap bid also??
Quota addition is the addition of women who did not match to bid lists of chapters who have made quota. The 5% rule is that the number of quota additions is not to exceed 5% of quota. So if quota is 20, any chapter should not have quota addition of more than 1. If quota is 35 than quota additons should not exceed 2 (1.75 rounded up).

So ... say quota is 20 and a women attended preference at chapters AA and BB ( 2 being the max she could attend). If both AA and BB make quota of 20 before the woman gets a bid, she doesn't match and would not get a bid. She can, if she meets certain qualifications, be a candidate for quota addition. She would then be added to the bid list of either chapter AA or chapter BB depending on which chapter is the smaller and that chapter would then have 21 new members.

Snap bids are to assist chapters which didn't make quota to
reach quota. Quota addition only applys to chapters who make quota. A chapter can snap bid to quota even if that would put the chapter over total. A chapter that has reached quota can not issue snap bids. The chapter can only issue COB bids if they are under total.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 05-31-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much!! BTW I have three friends from High School that were Alpha Xi Delta's at Ohio University!!
Old 08-21-2004, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Question: With the new NPC rules, is quota plus still available? Or would it only be an option if all chapters had made quota. I'm just curious.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Wow, after reading this either my school's rules are much simpler or i dont understand them.
We have both quota and total, and we have informal recruitment in the fall, and formal in the winter. The way we do it is total is set at 52, when sororities go through fall rush they can only give out as many bids as they have spots before they reach total.
During spring recruitment we have quota which is set right before preference night and is the same for everyone. We have quota plus one which is where if, say quota was 20, your top twenty girls all put you down as their first choice, than you get the next girl on your list that put you down first. I have never heard of that actually happening on my campus. However, i do know that after spring recruitment we can not cob to reach total, you can only reach quota which is hard for smaller chapters who, even if they almost or do reach quota, could still afford to take more girls on.

Also jumping to an earlier part of this message, i agree panhell just kinda watches some chapters die and doesn't do much to help them, except encourage girls not to suicide them. But this doesn't work either. It was heartbreaking to see girls from XYZ get excited becausee they had a pledge class of two, just to hear the girls had dropped their bids when they found out who they got them from.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally posted by KDMafia
However, i do know that after spring recruitment we can not cob to reach total, you can only reach quota which is hard for smaller chapters who, even if they almost or do reach quota, could still afford to take more girls on.
I think someone on your campus needs to read the green book. Under Unanimous Agreements, Continuous Open Bidding section, page 97 of the 13th edition (I haven't received the latest edition yet) I quote: "Each NPC fraternity chapter has the right to COB to reach Quota or its total allowable chapter size during the regular school year.........The purpose of Continuous Open Bidding is to enable those chapters which did not pledge Quota, or pledged Quota but did not reach Total, to take additional new members immediately following the designated formal recruitment period."

Someone who knows about this should definitely let me know if I'm wrong, but I think I understand this correctly.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

A little more info about quota additions. Without the benefit of having a Green Book on hand, this is my understanding. A PNM who attends every Pref party will be guaranteed a bid from at least one of these houses even if she doesn't match. That is unless she suicides, then all bets are off.

So on our campus there are 3 Pref parties. A PNM must be invited to and attend three different houses. She must then list all three in some order on her Pref Card for this guarantee to kick in.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick Question

Let us say that a chapter is "small" and does not make quote during formal rush.. They are also below total. but if this house would be over total if they took quote, so (to make up numbers) say total is 50, the chapter is at 25, so they need 25 to make total, but quote is say 30.

So, by my understanding this house can take 30 during formal rush and in this situation go 10 over total.

Again, by my understanding, a chapter can take total plus acertain percentage over quota. But since this chapter did not make quota and is still below total they should be allowed to cob up to quota.

My question is: if during formal rush chapters may take quota plus, can a chapter which cob's to get quota take quota plus.

So, this chapter can COB and get the 30 new members(to fill the new member class), but can they take 30 plus? Like other chapters would have been able to do if they got a full pledge class during formal?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tcsparky
I think someone on your campus needs to read the green book. Under Unanimous Agreements, Continuous Open Bidding section, page 97 of the 13th edition (I haven't received the latest edition yet) I quote: "Each NPC fraternity chapter has the right to COB to reach Quota or its total allowable chapter size during the regular school year.........The purpose of Continuous Open Bidding is to enable those chapters which did not pledge Quota, or pledged Quota but did not reach Total, to take additional new members immediately following the designated formal recruitment period."

Someone who knows about this should definitely let me know if I'm wrong, but I think I understand this correctly.
No Tresa, you have it exactly right.

Chapters CAN COB AT ANY TIME (EXCEPT SUMMER) IF THEY ARE NOT AT CAMPUS TOTAL. That's why it's called continuous.

If for any reason your school is forbidding you to do this, contact your regional NPC rep ASAP.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Quick Question

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaalpha
Let us say that a chapter is "small" and does not make quote during formal rush.. They are also below total. but if this house would be over total if they took quote, so (to make up numbers) say total is 50, the chapter is at 25, so they need 25 to make total, but quote is say 30.

So, by my understanding this house can take 30 during formal rush and in this situation go 10 over total.

Again, by my understanding, a chapter can take total plus acertain percentage over quota. But since this chapter did not make quota and is still below total they should be allowed to cob up to quota.

My question is: if during formal rush chapters may take quota plus, can a chapter which cob's to get quota take quota plus.

So, this chapter can COB and get the 30 new members(to fill the new member class), but can they take 30 plus? Like other chapters would have been able to do if they got a full pledge class during formal?
Quota and total are two different things.

Quota only refers to the maximum amount of women chapters can give bids to during a structured recruitment process.

Total is the maximum chapter size at a particular school.

So, Yes, a chapter can exceed Total during the structured recruitment process by taking quota or quota plus.

But where COR is concerned, since each chapter does it on its own, there is usually no set quota limit. Each chapter can give as many bids as they want through COR until they reach Total at their campus. There is no "quota plus" for COR.*

So at Dude U, there are four chapters.
Total is 50.
Quota through structured recruitment is 15.

Chapter ABC had 40 members before recruitment and made quota, thereby putting them above total (50) with 55 members. They are not eligible for COR because they are now above total.

Chapter DEF had 35 members before recruitment and gave bids to 15 girls, thereby bringing their chapter up to 50 girls. They are not eligible for COR because they are now just at total.

Chapter GHI had 25 members before recruitment and pledged quota of 15. They are eligible to COR up to 10 women to fill the spots to bring them up to total.

Chapter JKL had 10 members before recruitment and pledged 10 women. They are are eligible to COR 30 women if they want, to bring them up to total.

Does that help?

* This is my understanding through my experiences as both an undergrad and an adviser at two different schools with a fall formal recruitment process.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
There is also the following case

chapter XYZ has 40 members prior to recruitment and receives 12 new members from formal recruitment. This puts them over total at 52 members but (as my sister Tresa pointed out) because a chapter is always allowed to pledge to quota at anytime during the school year, this chapter may offer 3 COB bids in order to pledge to quota and would have 55 members.

Important point to note, once they have pledged their 15 new members (12 + 3) and are at quota and over total, XYZ may not pledge any more new members until they fall back below the chapter total. So, if 2 of the new members quit they may not be replaced. But if some combination of 6 or more members quit or leave school or graduate then XYZ may offer COB bids up to total (50 in this case) only.