GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,158
1 members and 2,157 guests
Overthinker

Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I know that I am not able to make what I would consider socially responsible choices in my purchasing choices 100% of the time. However, that does not give me a pass not to consider the impact my spending might have. I hate Wal-Mart - I avoid them whenever I can, but sometimes I do have to shop there. I do also check the tags of my clothing, ask where the shrimp I might order comes from, and support small local businesses as much as possible. You do what you can.

And I think the www.peopleofwalmart.com site is hilarious. I don't see it as a "class" thing - I also enjoy www.gofugyourself.com, which you can see as a higher socioeconomic class "peopleofwalmart.com", if you will. Bad fashion choices know no boundaries.
I prefer to socially mock up the ladder, or at least those who seem to see themselves as up the ladder. Stuffwhitepeoplelike is my number one.

I don't want any pity creeping into my smug judgments.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Obviously.

My friends/colleagues and I are all well-informed and I, in particular, try to uphold certain standards for the places where I choose to spend my money. "Superstores" that have been worshipped for all the services they provide and money they make definitely have an obligation to not lose sight of the law and "humanity" for the pursuit of capitalism and profit. The same goes for any company that has been investigated for unfair treatment of employees, violation of child labor laws, and employing illegal/undocumented immigrants.
Your standards are great for you, obviously. I try not to start my personal boycotts at the mere investigatory level. Unless I feel like I know what's really happened because of what I've seen, I like a higher standard of proof. And even then, I'm kind of casual about what matters in the moment when I shop.

I have a relative who works at Walmart. (I don't mean corporate exec; I mean regular ol' store employee.) He likes his job; it's presented him with opportunities that weren't easily available in the community where he lives. My feelings are mixed about the corporation.

I think hypocrisy drives everyone nuts, and Walmart is one of those areas where some people take a proud stand that they don't really live out in any other areas. Certainly, not all Walmart haters fall in that category.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I try not to start my personal boycotts at the mere investigatory level.
Neither do I. It took me 10 years to "stop" shopping at Walmart.

I go in there on the rare occasion that a family member wants to and I don't breakout into hives if I have to spend money there. It simply isn't a place that I like to shop and will choose to shop if I have a choice.

Quote:
Unless I feel like I know what's really happened because of what I've seen, I like a higher standard of proof.
What we see personally is rarely the end-all and be-all. There is too much going on in our social world to always discount more general accounts simply because you haven't personally seen it.

On that note, I don't blast others for shopping at Walmart. Whatever is convenient and cost efficient for them. I was just responding in light of KSig's question to cheerfulgreek.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I don't limit my (attempts at) understanding of the world to just my personal experience, but someone can be investigated for something that he or she didn't actually do. That's all I meant.

On the one hand, there are so many places to shop most of the time, that you could go with a "where there's smoke, there's fire" kind of thinking. Or you could hold back with more of a golden rule kind of approach for the store employees since most of us wouldn't want an accusation or investigation of accusation to end our careers.

I think most of us are just trying to make good decisions about how we live most of the time. Sometimes shopping isn't a big reflection of overarching social philosophy.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

In the English 1301 class I taught this summer the students did a chapter on globalization and fair trade - the text had many interesting articles for both sides of the Wal-mart/big box issue, which made for some interesting discussions.
One of the points I made as they were honing their analytical skills is that most issues are not black and white - shades of grey are always there.
So I don't shop at Wal-mart most of the time - but if I need to, I don't beat myself up about it.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

And sometimes it is a reflection of social philosophy. Whatever's whatever.

Enough with the boring attempts at philosophical jargon, though.

LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
One of the points I made as they were honing their analytical skills is that most issues are not black and white - shades of grey are always there.
So I don't shop at Wal-mart most of the time - but if I need to, I don't beat myself up about it.
Thus is our complex social world.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I shared with the class my personal struggle with shrimp - a food I love. I grew up spending summers on the Texas Gulf Coast - if we wanted shrimp, we waited down at the dock in Kemah and bought it. So for years I happily ordered shrimp, simply assuming it was caught from the Gulf.

"WHEN ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.", to quote Pope. Once I knew about the horrors of shrimp farming, and what it did to the workers and the land I just couldn't. Add in the impact of Katrina and Ike to the Gulf Coast economy, and the personal connection I feel to the area and the industry, and I am now this really annoying customer who asks where the shrimp come from, and if they aren't net caught from the Gulf, I pass. I realize that my little actions don't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but if I did try to eat farmed shrimp knowing what I now know it would be sawdust in my mouth.

I do realize how easy it would be to lie to me - one indicator is the price. If the shrimp is too cheap, it's probably farmed. And I would never criticize a friend who ordered the shrimp - although I have had friends ask why I asked the waiter where the shrimp orginated, and I'll tell them then, but I don't want to become that friend who regards a meal as an opportunity to police my friend's ethical and culinary choices.

- - - what is this thread about, again?

eta - and now I'm hungry.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I realize that my little actions don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.....
I disagree.

We are pieces to a puzzle and inch by inch it's a cinch.

Quote:
- - - what is this thread about, again?
People with funny underwear, I guess.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

To any and all people who laud the labor practices of Target.....have any of you actually worked for Target? One of my first jobs out of college was at Target, as an " area manager," which translated into being a salaried slave. We would routinely work overnight before the corporate bigshots came to visit, change our clothes, and work through the following day. Also, whenever the store needed to be changed around, area managers were forced to work overnight to complete the changes. Not ONE DIME of overtime was ever paid! Oh, and hourly employees were locked in at closing time, and no one was allowed to leave until the store was clean. Now, this was years and years ago. I know that Target was included in a class action lawsuit regarding mistreatment of salaried employees a few years ago, and the position of area manager was eliminated. I worked there for two years- that was enough! In general, working conditions in retail are not that great. Walmart does not do anything that other retailers do not do.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yup, I worked at Target, and you're right. I remember being locked in at night and nobody was allowed to leave until they were ready for you to leave.

I still prefer to shop at Target over Walmart.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I still enjoy shopping at Target. When i worked there, I spent so much money! I actually shop at Walmart precisely because I don't especially enjoy the experience.....I get in and get out, no impulse buys. Target is too tempting!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Who says Wal-Mart only appeals to the "lower" classes?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

free valet? ugh. who drives themselves to wal*mart?

wal*mart snobbery 101.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, laughing at the lower class is always a good time.

Thank goodness we're superior to those people.
I totally agree. I think this is one of the most insulting things I've seen in a long time. I'm lucky that I have the financial means where deciding whether or not to boycott a store based on labor practices is even an option for me. For some people, that is the last thing on their minds and they are thankful to just to have a job.