GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,532
3 members and 1,529 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

aggie rush! =)

Hey ladies! First of all i'd like to thank everyone who posts on this website! You have been so incredibly HELPFUL!

i noticed there wasn't much about us aggies on greek chat, and was hoping that i could get something started. aggies, please post questions on this thread so we can maybe get a little more aggie specific since every rush is different depending on where you are!

is recruitment at A&M extremely competitive? and how are the chances for sophomores? and i know it is on here just about everywhere, but what about attire for Day 2 and Day 3 (those seem the most vague in guidelines)?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My understanding is that A&M is pretty competitive. Being a sophomore will put you at a disadvantage, but a strong GPA and good activities will give you a reasonable chance. And you'll need recs.

If someone from A&M wants to confirm (or correct) this, please do.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

TAMU is fairly competitive. Sophomores that have a good GPA is a strongpoint, which a handfull of sophomores do not have after Freshman year. Sarahsmilehawk is correct when she says that being a sophomore does put you at disadvantage, but having recs as well as a good CV will help.

As far as the dress code, I'm assuming you mean Philanthropy and Sisterhood days.
The dress is what I describe as Summer Casual, nice but not relaxed. No shorts! Sun dresses and pretty sandals are a plus.

Last edited by icelandelf; 07-22-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 PM

OMG, that second dress is ADORABLE - where's it from?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Nordstrom and they're having their anniversary sale
Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Those outfits are perfect for recruitment at A&M.
References, yes.
Competative, yes (although not as competative as UT)
Sophomores will have a bit of trouble but it is not impossible.
Usually 2 or maybe 3 in a new member class. Their houses are filled by sophomores so juniors and seniors live out (except for officers) Too many sophomores in a class makes it difficult to keep the house full as well as losing a year of you as a member.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

this is such a big help! thank you! i understand you cannot talk about specific criteria for picking pledges, but doesn't personality and ability to click with the girls in the house EXTREMELY important?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, yes, it's important - but what are you going to do? Revamp your personality? Working on your social skills is always a good thing - but don't start to panic about things you can't do much about. My advice -

1.) Read, read, read GC recruitment threads - not just the "what to do" ones but the "what not to do" ones.

2.) Get good recommendations.

3.) Get clothes that reflect you, are comfortable and cute.

4.) If you are uncomfortable with the thought of having to "click" with the members, work on your conversational skills - there are many books that cover this topic. Check out your local library. Do you know any actives? If so, you might want to pick their brains about recruitment conversations.

Don't try to be someone you are not. You want to pledge a house where the real you will be appreciated and given a chance to grow and develop, and where you will feel at home. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Well, yes, it's important - but what are you going to do? Revamp your personality? Working on your social skills is always a good thing - but don't start to panic about things you can't do much about. My advice -

1.) Read, read, read GC recruitment threads - not just the "what to do" ones but the "what not to do" ones.

2.) Get good recommendations.

3.) Get clothes that reflect you, are comfortable and cute.

4.) If you are uncomfortable with the thought of having to "click" with the members, work on your conversational skills - there are many books that cover this topic. Check out your local library. Do you know any actives? If so, you might want to pick their brains about recruitment conversations.

Don't try to be someone you are not. You want to pledge a house where the real you will be appreciated and given a chance to grow and develop, and where you will feel at home. Good luck!
Co-sign!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Any specific advice as far as recruitment at A&M goes?

I've been trying to get together as many reference letters as I can, I have at least one for every house through a local alumni panhellenic, and I have another, more personal rec for 11 out of the 12 houses. I hope I am well prepared!

Does anyone know what quota usually is?

Any other advice is GREATLY appreciated, and any actives at A&M, please private message me if you would like!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

They cannot contact you. My advice to you is to back off. Don't ruin your chances. Your references and letters are enough.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineberry View Post

Does anyone know what quota usually is?
According to our recruitment results thread here on GC, quota was 53 last year. Quota varies every year and depends on the number of girls who participate.

Check out these threads for advice:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=30758
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

These are long but they tell you alot about recruitment in general especially the "what not to do or say" thread.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-28-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

i apologize in advance for this question that is going to sound very stupid, but what exactly is quota?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc View Post
i apologize in advance for this question that is going to sound very stupid, but what exactly is quota?
Quota is the number of women finishing rush divided by the number of sororities.

Example: 500 women rushing - 10 sororities on campus - quota is 50.

Even if a sorority is at total or ceiling as it's called some places (total is the maximum amt of members a sorority is supposed to have) they can still take quota.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

what if you only have 1 rec??