GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,145
0 members and 2,145 guests
No Members online

Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

How to ask for rec letters!

Hi!! How formal do I need to be when asking for reccomendation letters? Most of the people I’m asking, I know fairly well. How should I ask? Thank you!!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Just be direct!
"Hi Mrs. Jones, I'm going to Big State University this fall and I'm going to go through sorority recruitment. I understand you are an Alpha Alpha Alpha alumna. Would you be so kind as to write a recommendation for me?"
"Why yes, I'd be honored!"
"Thank you! Here's a packet with my photo, resume, and school treanscript. I can e-mail you all this if you prefer. I'm very excited to meet the members of AAA chapter at BSU!"

She might also ask where to send the recommendation. Check your school's Panhellenic page for that info. Or you can encourage her to contact her sorority headquarters.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, if you find that you are missing some for groups on your campus, feel free to ask the women you've found if they know anyone in those groups. Greek women know other Greek women....it's perfectly OK to ask!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Also ask your parents and family to put out the request on Facebook for groups you can't easily find-you never know you'll find that was an alum through there.

My twelve recommendations for Clemson when I went through came from my mom, several local alumnae groups, a couple wonderful people on here, my high school guidance counselor who I didn't know was an alum until I reached out to their local alumnae group, a friend's friend's mom, an older high school field hockey teammate, my little brother's best friend's aunt, and a field hockey/church mom. It was easier to find the groups that had local chapters, but I still got all of them!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

The vast majority of my recs came from our church. I think they could have held an NPC convention!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

And don't forget to write a thank you note!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all so much!! I’ve asked for/secured about 12 rec letters so far!! My next question is, should I go ahead and send them the information they’ll need even though my GPA is not my final high school gpa? It will most likely go up a little after second semester is over. Or I can just wait until the end of May to have the correct final GPA.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl18 View Post
Thank you all so much!! I’ve asked for/secured about 12 rec letters so far!! My next question is, should I go ahead and send them the information they’ll need even though my GPA is not my final high school gpa? It will most likely go up a little after second semester is over. Or I can just wait until the end of May to have the correct final GPA.
I would wait a while.
It's a little early to send recs, and you still have several weeks to collect honors etc. Just make sure you send the info to them as soon after you get your final grades as possible.