GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,351
2 members and 2,349 guests
PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
According to the blog someone posted, Alpha Phi began it's colonization activities this week with events on the 24th & 27th.

According to the schedule, they have an Invitation-Only event on Sept. 2nd and Preference on the 4th.

Best of luck to the Bama Alpha Phi colonization team!
I can't wait to hear more about how it goes for Alpha Phi!! I think it's going to be awesome!!

I believe we have one person that posted she was going to interviews - can't remember the username... anyone else participating?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Gammas

In regard to Gammas. Very fine group of girls. The fraternity boys my daughter talked to from different houses at Bama are very positive about Gammas. The negative comments do not see to be driving them away. It would seem whoever puts out these mean comments ought to watch out that they do not look the worse for it.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

glad to hear that bamamama! maybe your daughter just hangs out with a classier and smarter bunch of guys
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

You could not see a difference between the girls in any of the houses on Bid Day. Each chapter's girls look identical. Big smiles, laughing , beautiful girls!! The fraternity pledges didn't seem to see a difference either, all got roses, if they stopped running long enough. The only problem any of the girls seemed to be having was getting through the crowds lining sorority row. Not a bad problem at all!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter (a Theta) and I were talking about Alpha Phi recruitment last night and the talk led to all the other houses and new pledge classes. My daughter pledged last year and loved seeing the other side of Rush this year (though it was heart breaking at times). She says the Gammas are all such sweet girls---they love their house and love being Gammas. She has respect for each of the sororities and tries to exemplifiy good will and not speak badly of any house. The Gammas are as proud of their house, their letters and each other just as much as anyone else.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Are they really referred to as "Gammas" at Alabama?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Generally Gamma Phi's I believe. Sorry!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM

No need to apologize. I've just always heard them called "Gamma Phis" so I didn't know if it was a new hip thing at Alabama or something.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi, not Gamma?

I've always wondered why that was - we're the only ones beginning with "Gamma", so it might make sense to call us "Gammas", but I have always heard us referred to as "Gamma Phis".
Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen copies of The Crescent online as old as 1904, and the writers always refer to themselves as Gamma Phis, so I've chalked it up as pure, old tradition. I would dearly love to know if there was a specific reason back in the day, or if it just sounded good and caught on! Some of the local collegians wanted to use just Gamma instead of Gamma Phi in a rap they wrote for convention this summer, but some alumnae set them straight.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
I've seen copies of The Crescent online as old as 1904, and the writers always refer to themselves as Gamma Phis, so I've chalked it up as pure, old tradition. I would dearly love to know if there was a specific reason back in the day, or if it just sounded good and caught on! Some of the local collegians wanted to use just Gamma instead of Gamma Phi in a rap they wrote for convention this summer, but some alumnae set them straight.
I've read before that back in the day (early 20th c.) some alums wanted to call Pi Phi "Pi Beta" and some wanted to call it "Pi Phi." I guess we all know which one stuck!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I've read before that back in the day (early 20th c.) some alums wanted to call Pi Phi "Pi Beta" and some wanted to call it "Pi Phi." I guess we all know which one stuck!
I have heard the Pi Phi's at Ole Miss once at an event cheer on their sisters by screaming "Go Pi Beta!"
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma, Gamma Phis and Gammies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I've always wondered why that was - we're the only ones beginning with "Gamma", so it might make sense to call us "Gammas", but I have always heard us referred to as "Gamma Phis".
In college we were referred to as Gamma Phis or Gammies- however we were a West Coast school. They still refer to them the same way now ( note: not at all schools just mine I do believe)

Just thought I'd add to the dialogue--

Smiles

GPhiB
Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post

In college we were referred to as Gamma Phis or Gammies- however we were a West Coast school. They still refer to them the same way now ( note: not at all schools just mine I do believe)

Just thought I'd add to the dialogue--

Smiles
usd? My BFF had a "gammie" sweatshirt when she was a GPhiB pledge at USD.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Another variation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
We always said Gamma Phi, but I've heard several girls over the past couple of years refer to the house as "G-Phi". Has anyone else heard that one?
Closed Thread