GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,478
1 members and 2,477 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega at U of Oregon Is Undergoing Reorganization

The Chi Omega chapter at the U of Oregon is undergoing reorganization. The reason(s) for the reorganization are not mentioned in the article (below):

http://dailyemerald.com/2014/11/10/u...-headquarters/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter elected a new Executive Board, so that's a good start.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

As the parent of a student at Oregon I did read about this in the campus paper. I am very interested in knowing more about what a reorganization means and typically what it involves. I understand that some or all of the chapter's exec board has been removed from the organization, without the option of taking early alumni status. Although this is clearly a big shake up for the chapter, ultimately it seems like a positive action. Like a fresh start.

Can anyone elaborate further on what a chapter reorganization means? Explanation does not need to be specific to the Oregon chapter. Just in general.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

You can try searching for "membership review" also. The topic comes up from time to time on here.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Basically cutting the slackers and risk management risks without closing the chapter (and sometimes recruiting new members outside of the regular rush time frame as well). This option is often used because expansion might be far off, if in the future at all, down the road and the opportunity to do a complete recolonization with time for a break (so the chapter can start afresh without old reputations attached) might not present itself.

Whether the remaining members have a positive experience after the reorganization varies case by case and person by person.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-13-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
You can try searching for "membership review" also. The topic comes up from time to time on here.
Reorganization doesn't always = membership review, but if members of exec were terminated, I'm guessing it does in this instance.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

...wow. I hadn't heard about this which is more than a bit surprising. My boss's daughter is a Chi Omega and is planning on going down next weekend and hosting a tailgate. It sounded like it was for the sorority, which is different for the campus.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-15-2014, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
...wow. I hadn't heard about this which is more than a bit surprising. My boss's daughter is a Chi Omega and is planning on going down next weekend and hosting a tailgate. It sounded like it was for the sorority, which is different for the campus.
Sounds like something they would really appreciate right now.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a follow-up article that had a few more details.

http://dailyemerald.com/2014/11/11/c...n-resignation/
Old 11-15-2014, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Sort of off-topic, but isn't this Ann Rule's initiating chapter (she wrote the book 'The Stranger Beside Me' about Ted Bundy)?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Sort of off-topic, but isn't this Ann Rule's initiating chapter?
No, she is a 1950 initiate of Nu Delta of Chi Omega at Willamette Univ in Salem, OR.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:24 PM

I didn't sleep for months after reading Ann Rule's "The Stranger Beside Me." Her degree is from the University of Washington, but she attended Willamette and initiated while the Chi O chapter was still open (it closed in 1972). Must have made it even more difficult to write about the incidents at Chi O at Florida State.