GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,446
0 members and 1,446 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Hand Signs?

I am a newly initiated Gamma Phi and was wondering what our official (or unofficial) hand signs were? Are there any we are allowed to do or that we are not allowed to do by nationals? And are we only allowed to "crescent"?

I personally think "throwing what you know" is adorable and fun! (not to mention catches the eye of PNMs). I just wish there were some hand signs that incorporated our beautiful Greek letters the way KD and Chi O have done.

Love from the crescent moon and back
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi does not have an official public hand sign.

I am personally not a fan of hand signs; I love the crescents formed by sisters standing with their arms around their sisters and their other arms up in the air. But I'm old and crochety.

Whatever you do, please don't do the "finger held in front of an open mouth" thing for phi. I really hate that one. If you must "throw" something, just use gamma and another phi. I think you would have to be double jointed to do a beta. If you make a gamma with your right hand (thumb making the top of the gamma, pointer finger pointing down) you can then make a circle with your left and have the bottom of the gamma rest across it to make a phi.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I had the opportunity to hear some IH staff speak about this recently and the message was that the one handed crescent, or the crescent hug were the preferred photo-ops BUT only if they were going the right way. They said that the one handed gamma was alright as well, but just as Belle said, never with the "phi mouth"."
Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much ladies for the responses! My chapter was under the impression only "cresenting" (hand or hug) was allowed and have actually send girls to standards and fined them for doing any gamma phi hand symbols... is there anywhere it is written that those are okay? I would love to help girls not get fined! (and look cute )

@SWTXBelle I laughed at the Beta part! it truly would take some extra hands! Haha I am sure there isn't too much of a generation gap and anyways gamma phis are always a certain breed of ladies . Just curious why don't you like the hand signs? I love the gamma phi one you just mentioned, and we were actually taught that, but then this semester they said we would be fined if we did it.

@TweedleDee199 It is my biggest pet peeve too when the crescent is the wrong way...It looks like out sorority is C instead of a crescent. The one handed gamma was another thing my chapter taught girls and now has fined girls for doing. Because "we aren't gammas, we are gamma phis"...which I think is very silly because we aren't the crescents either...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
If you make a gamma with your right hand (thumb making the top of the gamma, pointer finger pointing down) you can then make a circle with your left and have the bottom of the gamma rest across it to make a phi.
I just tried that and it's really hard to do without getting all your other fingers in the way.

I like the crescent. Some sisters at the chapter I advise have even gotten our university President to do it with them at various campus events. The pictures of that are really cute!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I always associated hand signs with NPHC sororities, and I was uncomfortable with the idea of NPC "appropriating" their tradition. I've since come around somewhat - but I still dislike the open-mouthed ones.

The crescent is still my favorite.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't really care for hand signs for Gamma Phi because it feels like a "me too." Other sororities actually have official hand signs, and have for a long time. We don't have to have a hand sign just because other sororities do - just like we don't have to have a mascot because others do. Also, lots of them look way too forced, and in some photos they become the center of attention instead of the girls. The crescents are fine if you must do a hand sign.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
...in some photos they become the center of attention instead of the girls...
This is the part that I don't like! I don't mind the idea of hand signs, but I think they are rather pointless and definitely distracting when there are other Gamma Phi symbols or indications in the picture. Such as when it's a group pic and there are giant wooden GPhiB letters, or when all the women are obviously wearing GPhi shirts. Why the need to identify with a hand sign then? It takes away from your beautiful smiling faces.

gamma_phi_baby, I'm not sure there will ever be an official written policy on this, but I can echo what TweedleDee said. If your chapter president and/or advisor went to the Academy this past weekend, she should have heard the same thing there.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I don't really care for hand signs for Gamma Phi because it feels like a "me too." Other sororities actually have official hand signs, and have for a long time. We don't have to have a hand sign just because other sororities do - just like we don't have to have a mascot because others do.
Agree on both counts.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for all the responses! Its funny because yesterday in chapter they announced that we can now do the one handed gamma (right hand thumb and pointer finger) and the under the head resting gamma (bend your wrist at a 90 degree angle, keep your fingers straight and place your chin on your hand and keep your arm pulled in)! I love the head resting one because its subtle and cute like the hugging crescent.