GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,433
1 members and 1,432 guests
oncegreek

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

alabama recruitment question

hey girls, I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place or something.

I need honest answers here, because I am seriously considering transferring to UA.
I have always wanted to join a sorority, and I feel it is one of the college experiences I want most (besides the education, of course).

My question is sort of complicated, because I realize that it may sound insulting, but I promise there is no offense intended.
Basically, I want to know if it is significantly difficult for a minority (namely, hispanic) to rush.
This question crossed my mind as I was going through the different sorority profiles and realized I could not find any obviously hispanic girls.

Now I realize this may be due to the very small percentage of minorities at the school, so please don't think I'm jumping to conclusions or judging by any means. But, where I'm from, the South kind of has a reputation for being...well racist. I have no evidence to back this, nor do I fully believe it, its just what I've heard.

But please, answer honestly, I just want to find a good college where I will have a pleasant rush experience. Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

well I also am from the southand although I would like to think racism does't exhisit it obviously does. however I can't say how being hispanic would effect your rush at Alabama as I have no firsthand knowledge of their system. I would have to guess that it probably woudnt be that big of a deal (or at least it should nt be). With that being said ALabama has one of the hardest recruitments in the country and you will need superb grades, recs, and involvement.

Also I'm not sure but does Alabama have a sorority the is for ladies of Hispanic origin ( I forget the name but my campus recently added one.) They are not consider a panhellinic, however they are a social sorority. Again not sure if they have one or tghat if they do you have to join that one. Just a suggestion for why there may appear to be a lack of hispanic girls in NPCs on campus.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

also ou said transferring does this mean you will be a sophomore
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

yes i've heard about the cut-throat competition at alabama!
i could get recs for probably every house, and i feel like i have a pretty good resume, so i would be completely willing to take the risk of getting cut from a competitive greek system if i could be positive it wasnt just because of my race lol

and yes I will be a sophomore. so that would probably hurt my chances too huh?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

OTW:
yes, I realize now that I've read some other posts that I won't get an answer lol I guess I should've asked how minorities fit into the campus in general?
And yes, I've heard about how intense Southern rush is, so I'm definitely taking that into consideration

thank you for your advice and that link helped!

if anyone else has anything else to add, that would be much appreciated!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 AM

The search function is your friend. Threads related to Bama (and other SEC schools) and race:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=102331

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105378

Happy reading!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

No one can say what any PNM's chances will be. OP, you will be an upperclassmen. I strongly suggest you follow the link OTW provided to one of my posts regarding Upperclassmen and Recruitment. You will need to make yourself the best possible candidate you can be with GPA, resume, Recs, knowing actives, etc because you will be competing with other Upperclassmen who have all those things.

All I can say is that minorities have pledged NPC groups. However it is worth pointing out that the percentage of minorities that even go through Recruitment tends to be small. If someone doesn't participate in the process, then there is not even a chance of getting a bid.

Last edited by Zillini; 01-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you for the links, KSUVIOLET

and zillini, I understand all of your advice except the knowing actives. is there a possible way of knowing any actives when i'm 2000 miles away? (legit question, not being sarcastic lol)
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahwoah View Post
thank you for the links, KSUVIOLET

and zillini, I understand all of your advice except the knowing actives. is there a possible way of knowing any actives when i'm 2000 miles away? (legit question, not being sarcastic lol)
I don't think she realized you were that far away because you didn't specify You never know though, someone you know might be in one of the groups.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahwoah View Post

I think she means once you actually transfer to Bama.

It is highly beneficial to you to meet and build relationships with sorority members through other clubs/organizations, class, etc.

The other upperclassmen in recruitment will likely already have friends in some of the chapters that they know through different activities.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

if you are transferring this upcoming semester, hit the ground running by joining a club, getting involved in an activity or charity, etc. since you will be 2000 miles from home and do not know anyone, you would want to do this whether or not you were thinking of participating in recruitment-it gives you a better chance of making friends and connections and gets you out of your room and doing something for yourself and your new community.

sign up for spring recruitment if there will be one-you never know who will be participating. even if you don't find your dream chapter during spring recruitment, you will have met some more people, and honed your recruitment skills for the fall.

if you will be transferring for the fall semester, be sure to have recommendations for every chapter.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you ladies. Yes, when someone just says "transfer" there is no way of knowing if they're transferring from a University across the state or across the country. Plus I was making a general Upperclassmen PNM statement.

OP, first off I am not trying to be discouraging merely honest and realistic. Second, while Bama has a separate Upperclassmen Quota, that also means there are separate limits on the number of Upperclassmen PNMs a Chapter can invite back each round.

Being a transfer student from 2,000 miles away will add more competitive pressure to the equation. You will be competing with Upperclassmen PNMs who have been on campus already. They spent a year + going to class with sorority actives, being in clubs/orgs with them, working out together at the Rec center, etc., basically getting to know and become friends with them. You will need to be that much more impressive both in person and on paper. It's easier to go with someone you know and like already rather than taking a chance on an unknown unless there is a compelling reason. It's nothing personal, just human nature.

Now there are some things you can try. If possible attend Panhellenic Preview Weekend March 27. (Something I suggest every PNM attend regardless of class.) Info is available on the Greek Life website. However due to your location, the travel cost and time needed, that may not be feasible. Another thing would be to investigate Facebook. There are various student groups. If I'm not mistaken there was one for PNMs who planned on going through Recruitment this past year. I suspect a similar one either is set up or will be.

Finally, if you have alumnae Rec writers already lined up ask if they would reach out to the Chapters' Recruitment chairs. While Recs typically aren't sent in until late spring or summer, an email giving a head's up about a spectacular upcoming PNM gets you on their radar.

Last edited by Zillini; 01-06-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you, everyone for all of your great advice!

it's very helpful even if i don't end up going to alabama (thinking about other schools in the south).
hopefully this will all pay off and get me into a wonderful sorority