GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,042
0 members and 2,042 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Stick it out through prefs!

Sometimes I think that should be the battle cry of recruitment! Hang in there through prefs - noone says you have to sign a bid card but you just might find that maybe, just maybe, this could be your home.

Now I know this is hard to do sometimes. You've gone in with all the ducks in a row, you look good, you feel good, you're keeping a (sorta) open mind, but still the inevitable cuts come and you feel like it's only YOU that's being cut. Your roommate still gets to go back to the one sorority you absolutely loved and every other girl on the hall has a full plate of invitations and you only have abc and xyz and you're embarassed and feeling about this tall.

But just hang in there! Every group has something to offer and at some of these schools like UGA it truly sounds like each one is good. Get some perspective: after you pledge, all of a sudden you're swallowed up by this group that wanted YOU - not your roommate, not the girl down the hall but YOU. And you become a part of that world - whatever the letters are that define it - and it's okay. It's better than okay - it's good, it's great, it's where you were meant to be.

Now I'm not saying, join a group where you know you don't fit in. But, please, please, please, hang in there till prefs and at least give them a shot.

I will now step off my mother soapbox...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

WONDERFUL!!

GOOD ONE!!

(Girls, always listen to your mom.)
Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

this should stay at the top of the recruitment threads!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta
this should stay at the top of the recruitment threads!
I agree. I've seen a few of my friends drop out of rush after just a couple of rounds because that one sorority they had their hearts set on did not invite them back, and that's sad because I'm pretty sure they would've been happy in other chapters if they'd only given them the chance.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely sticky this!

Reading the Recruitment threads, I realized that, when I went through Recruitment, the ones which cut me were the same ones I didn't really want - but I still felt a little frisson of "Why didn't they like me?" I would have HATED being in either GLO, but it just amazed me, being cut.

I think Recruitment is many women's first very real experience with rejection, and maybe we need to remember that.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:03 PM

If you find yourself with just one sorority to visit for preference, it helps to remember that IT ONLY TAKES ONE

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBaby80
I agree. I've seen a few of my friends drop out of rush after just a couple of rounds because that one sorority they had their hearts set on did not invite them back, and that's sad because I'm pretty sure they would've been happy in other chapters if they'd only given them the chance.
Has anybody every done those behavioral study/psychology type tests that ask you your favorite color, animal, etc. and then afterwards it reveals something like, "this is how you see yourself" and "this is how other see you"... I think in recruitment, some PNMs want the sorority that has the reputation or image that they want for themselves but isn't necessarily who they really are. It is crushing when they find that how they see themselves is not necessarily how others see them.