GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,340
1 members and 1,339 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2019, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
In the latest twist in this saga.

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli's daughters were reportedly dropped by their sisters.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...144442358.html
Kudos to KKG for dropping them. It's nice to see a little bit of accountability being doled out for this whole shady situation, even though it was probable these young women would never be returning to USC. It would be nice to see some of the colleges and universities in this scandal booting out or withdrawing degrees from the other fraudulent students, but that probably won't happen on any large scale. I hope Ms. Loughlin and her hubby see some jail time for what they did. What frauds.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
In the latest twist in this saga.

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli's daughters were reportedly dropped by their sisters.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...144442358.html
Quote:
While USC is not allowing Olivia Jade and Bella Giannulli to withdraw from the school during investigation over the college admissions cheating scandal, the sisters are no longer part of their sorority.
How is it possible that USC is not allowing them to withdraw? Are they forcing tuition to be paid? Making the girls go to class? How is this possible?

@~/~~~~
Old 07-31-2019, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
How is it possible that USC is not allowing them to withdraw? Are they forcing tuition to be paid? Making the girls go to class? How is this possible?
The girls are not attending classes nor living on campus. Aside from the semester when the scandal broke, I don't know how a school could require students to continue to pay for a service (the education) that they are no longer using. One cannot refuse to allow a student to withdraw from school. While they are embroiled in a scandal and likely enrollment status has been put on some kind of hold due to pending legal action and a university review process, a school may not "force" a student to remain enrolled or attend classes. What a silly idea. I weep for what passes as journalism these days.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

So, a school in the area where I used to live has told students that if they are found guilty of hazing, they will be kicked out of school and their previously earned credits will be voided, for lack of a better word. I had never heard of this before. (It's a private school.)

So maybe USC isn't preventing them from withdrawing, but perhaps won't release their transcripts, pending the investigation, preventing them from enrolling anywhere else with the credits they've "earned" so far?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Now I know that Fox News may not be the best source to cite but...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...am-allegations

A chapter rep is saying that Olivia Jade was never initiated and Bella is still a member
Old 08-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
snipped

I weep for what passes as journalism these days.
You're far from the only one. At least 90% of what is called journalism right now would have earned the writer an F in college.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ABSOLUTELY concur! And frankly, I think Greek membership, no matter what the situation, should be ONLY between the member and the local or national organization. It’s abdolutely nobody else’s business regardless of the situation.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
You're far from the only one. At least 90% of what is called journalism right now would have earned the writer an F in college.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantXOcousin View Post
Now I know that Fox News may not be the best source to cite but...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...am-allegations

A chapter rep is saying that Olivia Jade was never initiated and Bella is still a member
They aren't any better or worse than any of the other outlets that try to pass themselves off as journalistic endeavors these days.

How exactly does one remain an "active member" of Kappa Kappa Gamma when one is not actively attending the university or participating in the chapter's daily activities and operations?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
^^^ABSOLUTELY concur! And frankly, I think Greek membership, no matter what the situation, should be ONLY between the member and the local or national organization. It’s abdolutely nobody else’s business regardless of the situation.
We were taught that "the D in Delta stands for Discretion" so you don't air the chapter laundry in public.

Of course, this particular situation has transcended public domain and then some. I actually feel sorry for KKG (and my grandmother is probably spinning in her grave!).
Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think KKG is in a no-win situation. Since I'm sure there are some that want to know and others who feel like this is a private membership matter.

Either way, how could have KKG known there was this back door system that people of privilege were using to get their kids into school? I'm sure when membership to Lori Laughlin's daughters was offered it was because they met the requirements (that are not public) and clearly the members of the KKG chapter at USC thought they would be good additions.

Unfortunately the poor judgement of some has had a ripple effect on people and organizations who were not involved in any wrong-doing.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/08/...sions-scandal/

Quote:
BOSTON — Apologizing publicly for the first time for crimes their lawyers insisted for months they didn’t commit, “Full House” star Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, were sentenced to prison Friday for using their wealth and privilege to cheat their daughters’ way into the college of their choice.
The two-month prison sentence for Loughlin and five-month term for Giannulli bring to a close the legal saga for the highest-profile parents ensnared in the college admissions bribery scheme — a scandal that rocked the U.S. educational system and laid bare the lengths some wealthy parents will go to get their kids into elite universities.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

This is surely just the tip of the iceberg and has gone on for years.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
This is surely just the tip of the iceberg and has gone on for years.
I have heard that said many, many times about what happened.

I think she (Loughlin) should be in prison much longer than two months. Buying her airhead daughters’ entrance into school probably changed the course of the lives of some others who were more deserving and didn’t get in.

I read an interesting comment somewhere by a former reality TV star (Eliza Orlins) who is now running for Manhattan DA.

She gave as an example a man who stole cough syrup and toothpaste from a drugstore being recently recommended for a one-year jail term. One year. For cough syrup and toothpaste.

We need to change the laws.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
She gave as an example a man who stole cough syrup and toothpaste from a drugstore being recently recommended for a one-year jail term. One year. For cough syrup and toothpaste.

We need to change the laws.
I agree that there needs to be more common-sense sentencing. A man can get probation and community service for beating his wife to a bloody pulp, but someone goes to jail for months over having a couple of ounces of marijuana. (I'm not talking about the person that has been arrested for this before, is violent, a known drug dealer, etc.... Then obviously it's not just a bag of weed and would through common sense have a longer sentence.)

There needs to be an overhaul in many places to make things more equitable in sentencing. Like I said, common sense.