GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,659
2 members and 1,657 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
Great Places to do Community Service

My sorority is Lambda Phi Xi and my chapter is in Reno, Nevada but over the summer our convention was in Florida. We decided to find a service project that we could do while there, We ended up working for the day at Give Kids the World, a theme park for seriously ill kids. Most of them are Make A Wish families there to visit Disney World. The experience was amazing so I thought I would start a thread asking for people to provide places in their state that are amazing to do projects at so that other Greeks can work with them if ever in the area also. Even if you dont post look up Give Kids the World, its so cool.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Florida has a lot of Habitat for Humanity stuff- its truly a great charity.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Unregistered-

When I was a collegian, we did a lot of work with the Ronald McDonald House -- washing their cars/vans, making dinner, playing with the kids, etc.

I remember having such a great experience there despite the fact that a lot of the kids were really, really sick. A lot of people think that they're going there to help out to make things a little easier for those kids and parents...but oftentimes it was I who got something out of it. And to this day, I have those kids to thank for that.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
While not exactly a "great place" in terms of the OP, adopting a road is pretty neat. Not only do you help the environment, you get reconized with a sign with your name on it on your section of road...it's nothing like "Make-A-Wish" but it's still nice...
Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

In Pennsylvania working with youth is a really good oportunity. Programs such as YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, Ronald McDonald House, or just doing a big brother/big sister program at a local high school.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brunetteddd
Aside from large, national charities/organizations, there's always lots of smaller, local charities and organizations that can use help.

I know there's a local girl's home that we partner with quite a bit.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Just last week I vounteered at a Junior Achievement event that was amazing! Junior Achievement is an organization that works with kids (of varying ages) to teach them some real-world lessons about the economy. Previous JA opportunities intimidated me because it involved mentoring students in developing and marketing a product --- quite a long term commitment that I was not ready to make.

But Phoenix has an incredible new Junior Achievement facility that models a little town. They bring in kids (we worked with 6th graders) to run the little "businesses" in JABiztown. There is an entire set of scripted tasks that the student citizens of JABiztown work through, which teach them how to balance a checkbook and pay back a business loan.

It was a BLAST, for both the students and the adult volunteers and would be the perfect kind of thing for a sorority to participate in. I think this is a new facet of Junior Achievement across the nation, so check in your area if you are in a major metropolitan area.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello,

I read your post inquiring about organizations worthy of your philanthropic work.

I am the Founder and President of the Foundation for Grieving Children, Inc., a national public charity whose mission is to raise funds and provide grants to community-based organizations which assist, educate, counsel and comfort children, teens, young adults and their families who have experienced the death of a loved one.

We are searching for members of the Greek Community to host a fundraising event for the benefit of bereaved children.

I'd love to hear from you. I've got some fun ideas that don't take tons of time...and I'll help you promote them beyond campus lines, if you'd like.

Best Regards,
Mary M. McCambridge
www.foundationforgrievingchildren.org
www.askmarymac.com
www.askmarymac.blogspot.com
Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Also,
Old 11-28-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My Sorority's national philanthropy is Sickle Cell Research and Awareness. My chapter is located in the metro Atlanta area and I volunteer frequently with The Salvation Army, the National Black Arts Festival, and Hosea Feed the Hungry, as well as the Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia and the Center for Black Women's Wellness.

During the holidays - Hosea Feed The Hungry and the Salvation Army are excellent places to volunteer and offer your services =)

http://www.hoseafeedthehungry.com
http://www.salvationarmy.org
Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The Red Cross!
MANNA!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

On your knees!

Badum Badum!!!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

volunteermatch.org
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

If you want to fit in, maybe you shouldn't spam the whole forum.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

hi! I just signed up on this forum. I am a Phi Sig from George Mason University, and I am currently the Philanthropy/ Community Service Chair. I take my position seriously, and I really like the ideas that you all have brought up in this thread so far.

I'm thinking we should make this or another thread a sticky with all the info on the opportunities that exist for us chairs?