GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,998
0 members and 1,998 guests
No Members online

Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

so just doing a quick check on numbers- they said in the article that 1157 received bids. Based on the number of women in ICS on Monday (which means they signed a bid card), less than 70 women were dropped after preference for SIPing. So the grumbling about daughters not getting a bid is from a very small minority.

Oh, and ICS had quota set at 57, not 59.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Those are some pretty solid numbers. Looking at some of the pic's it looks like most of the houses did pretty well. I did see on another site about some girls asking how they drop a bid because they didn't get the house they wanted and didn't want to SIP but I would imagine that is also a small number as well.

I would hope people give the houses a chance before dropping. In a week or two they may feel a lot different.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to all the new members and their families! It is a tough process, but hopefully they find happiness in their new sororities. It is hard for the young women who end up somewhere they weren't expecting, whether that is because of losing a legacy chapter or just having an unpredictable recruitment. But like others, I admire their resilience!

Also, I think this message board is generally filled with women who had very positive sorority experiences. I enjoyed mine as well and am very active as an alum. But from stories I hear from parents with daughters in sororities at various schools, not everyone takes to it right away; some who even get a "top house" end up thinking the grass is greener elsewhere. Encourage them to give it some time. Best wishes to all!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
so just doing a quick check on numbers- they said in the article that 1157 received bids. Based on the number of women in ICS on Monday (which means they signed a bid card), less than 70 women were dropped after preference for SIPing. So the grumbling about daughters not getting a bid is from a very small minority.

Kappa Alpha Theta took 61.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My daughter reported her pledge class is 64 (AEPhi) They have a cute house, but not an enormous one. They must have taken some extras this cycle. She said everyone seemed very happy to be there
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
My daughter reported her pledge class is 64 (AEPhi) They have a cute house, but not an enormous one. They must have taken some extras this cycle. She said everyone seemed very happy to be there
they didn't take "extras" as much as they took quota additions. This was the first year anyone that maximized their options was guaranteed a bid. And in the past, chapters could decide if they would take the QAs, this year they had no choice. Plus with no campus total, chapters could add via "informal recruitment" as soon as bid day officially ended- so last night.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta took 58.

True and Constant
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
they didn't take "extras" as much as they took quota additions. This was the first year anyone that maximized their options was guaranteed a bid. And in the past, chapters could decide if they would take the QAs, this year they had no choice. Plus with no campus total, chapters could add via "informal recruitment" as soon as bid day officially ended- so last night.
@ForeverRoses Are you certain that all were guaranteed bids this year, if they maximized their options? There are parents on the IU FB page adamant that their Ds or Ds friends were called last night, hours before the bid ceremony, and were told that they got no bid despite maximizing their options. I didn't want to tell them they were misinformed because I didn't know if this was, in fact, the rule this year. But, it seemed strange to me this would happen with QAs. Can you confirm based on personal experience?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
@ForeverRoses Are you certain that all were guaranteed bids this year, if they maximized their options? There are parents on the IU FB page adamant that their Ds or Ds friends were called last night, hours before the bid ceremony, and were told that they got no bid despite maximizing their options. I didn't want to tell them they were misinformed because I didn't know if this was, in fact, the rule this year. But, it seemed strange to me this would happen with QAs. Can you confirm based on personal experience?
It is what I was told by the Rho Gammas and the information sent out by Panhellenic prior to recruitment starting. I am a recruitment advisor at IU and was in Bloomington living in the sorority house for the past two weeks. As such, I have access to the raw data within the recruitment system (ICS). I can see the numbers as they change. As previously stated, I don't see a huge number of unmatched women based on the number that signed bid cards Sunday night versus the number of bids handed out.
I will say that there are plenty of Ds and Ds friends that may not want to admit that this is on them and want to "blame the system".

I will also say that having spent plenty of time with Rho Gammas over the past two weeks that if the Rho Gammas are reflecting their chapters then any woman that gets a bid to ANY house is lucky to be a member. I couldn't "guess" what chapter most of the Rho Gammas were members of- I was just as shocked as to whom was a member of a "top tier" as I was "bottom tier".

Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you ForeverRoses for helping to confirm the info. A couple of posters previously posted on this thread that bids are guaranteed for maximized options at pref round. So, if those young ladies got dropped, it seems reasonable to assume that they did NOT maximize their options by listing ALL chapters on their cards at pref. Those PNMs may have SIP'd and either don't understand what "maximizing options means" or they didn't want to tell their parents that they SIP'd and the gamble didn't work out.

True and Constant
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ Yes. I suspect that is exactly why the parents are misinformed. I am so appreciative of all of the improvements that IU is making and it ruffles my feathers that people want to blame the system for the no bids.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
^^^^ Yes. I suspect that is exactly why the parents are misinformed. I am so appreciative of all of the improvements that IU is making and it ruffles my feathers that people want to blame the system for the no bids.
My apologies if I seem short, but every year people complain about how horrible IU recruitment can be. And every year they try and make it better. At this point it seems to me that we are in a situation where there are plenty of available bids- it's just that the bids that are available aren't to the groups the Ds think they "deserve".

I would LOVE to see a large group of amazing women all join one of the "bottom tier" groups en mass and flip the whole thing on it's head. then again, I would love for the women to stand up to the fraternities and refuse to "pair" unless all the fraternities paired with all the sororities. Alas I doubt that will happen as some of the members seems to relish in the tier structure.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Amen ForeverRoses, seeing comments about people not getting bids knowing that there are plenty out there for the perceived "Bottom" houses is frustrating. Knowing how hard those women had to work and not get the results they deserve is hard to see.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would LOVE to see a large group of amazing women all join one of the "bottom tier" groups en mass and flip the whole thing on it's head. then again, I would love for the women to stand up to the fraternities and refuse to "pair" unless all the fraternities paired with all the sororities. Alas I doubt that will happen as some of the members seems to relish in the tier structure.
AMEN!!!! The women have enormous power to change the Greek systems that have the entrenched tiers and hierarchy mind sets. If they don't work together to change that system, well then you have to think that a large number of the women like it just the way that it is.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
AMEN!!!! The women have enormous power to change the Greek systems that have the entrenched tiers and hierarchy mind sets. If they don't work together to change that system, well then you have to think that a large number of the women like it just the way that it is.
I think a large number of girls enjoy the system, but a larger amount find it unfair, cruel and wish women could stand up for other women. I have hope.