GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 909
0 members and 909 guests
No Members online

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Pitt was still doing rush their own way when I went through in 1985. Or at least I think it was.

After the first round of parties, I didn't fill my card (is that the terminology? I didn't want to go back to the full 8 parties in round 2) and nobody said anything to me about it. Aren't rushees supposed to accept as many invitations as the round allows?

Of course, I could be wrong!

PS Honey, I can't believe you cut us!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Back in my day, we didn't have to accept all invites. I pledged in Winter '84.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I guess I was a semi-frills rush. There were a lot of similarities in the pref parties (petits fours for sure), but we didn't get gifts. Those had been retired just before me, maybe 1981 or 82.

Also, probably a silly question, but what did the girls do with the gifts from the chapter where they ended up not pledging? Did they keep them as mementos?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know about other schools but at Auburn back in the day, you kept your gifts from all groups. I mean, how would they ask for them back? So there were non-Pi Phis running around with arrow necklaces and non-Chi Os with homemade owl pillows on their beds. Yep, each Chi O had to make at least 2 complicated pillows over the summer (my non-craftsy Chi O roomie had PLENTY to say about that!)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM

I got a freakin' Swarovski owl from Chi-O at prefs. No way was I parting with that! lol
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wondered if there was a big post-Bid Day trading session or something amongst friends and roommates. I was thinking more of a girl who really loved DZ, for example, and got a stuffed turtle at their pref, but ended up receiving a bid to her second choice, and the turtle might be a constant reminder of that.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
Pitt was still doing rush their own way when I went through in 1985. Or at least I think it was.
I recently served as Pitt's NPC Area Advisor for six years and we STILL had work to do. I do regard their Panhellenic as FSAs as one of "my" shinning stars. It was a bit crazy at the beginning but with a lot of assistance, explaining and many phone calls over the years the progress has been outstanding. The numbers are starting to show the progress.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

When I tell the collegiates in my Chapter about my Full Frills Rush, they look at me with wide eyed wonder. And truly mine in 1982 wasn't as luxe this, almost makes one feel gypped. Thank you for sharing Honeychile!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Somehow I missed this story the first time around! Fun stuff!

I still have my Bermuda bag and covers in my closet. The only reason I don't use it is because it is too small for all my stuff. Actually, I have two. One the full size with a dark wooden handle. The other is smaller and has a tortoise-shell like handle.

And I keep hoping and praying the preppy styles of the 50's and 80's come back soon. Fashion today is just yuck. I can't even find a decent pair of penny loafers any longer.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and pink and green plaid kilt with pink twin set?

SWOON!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
And I keep hoping and praying the preppy styles of the 50's and 80's come back soon. Fashion today is just yuck. I can't even find a decent pair of penny loafers any longer.
It was affordable, classy, and durable!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I can't even find a decent pair of penny loafers any longer.
I love penny loafers, too, but have had to resort to ordering online from the Bass website or from Zappos. It's tough finding navy ones, though.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
It's tough finding navy ones, though.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wore my last pair of navy loafers until they hurt my feet. I finally forced myself to throw them away.

Sad, sad day.

Someone mentioned Talbots up above. There's a company that has been run into the ground. Once a company that featured more beautiful clothes in every catalog than I could ever buy and now probably going under this year. Sad.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I went through rush in 1999, and while we didn't have the kind of frills you are talking about here, virtually every house has a theme for the open house round. When you have a ton of chapters, it is almost necessary, because that's how the PNM's can remember what is what.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

I was very surprised when I clicked on New Posts and saw this - gosh, it's ancient! But I'm thrilled that people like it, that it entertained you through the Great Super Bowl Outage, and encouraged more people to dress prep!

KR, had I met more sisters, I know I wouldn't have cut DZ! The same couple of sisters with whom I worked as a tour hostess kept rushing me, and frankly, they weren't my favorite people. I could say more (and probably will, when we meet again!), but as I got to know more DZs, I too wondered why I cut them!

As for the loot, it wasn't limited to Pref, but that's when you got the serious goodies. I know that one group (I can't remember which & I don't know where my rush notebook is right now!) gave plants, symbolizing a growing friendship - mine died right off the bat! I took my mascot to Junior Panhel, and gave it to a Kappa pledge - there was a lot of "regifting" among us. I often wondered about the Theta cake that sparkled - do they make edible glitter? The theme I didn't reveal when describing their party was Let's Go Fly A Kite. Since I've first posted this, I've discovered that two of my great-aunts were members of a local which became Kappa Alpha Theta - would that have made a difference? It's funny what you think about over the years. The bottom line is that, years after my initiation, I still love Alpha Delta Pi, and always will! (same with preppy clothing!) Thanks again for reading my rush story!

Now, I'm off to find carnation's!