GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,132
3 members and 1,129 guests
flamboyanttree, g41965, Sarak24034

Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Symbal
Alleged sexual assault at Phi Kappa Psi house (WVU)

A 20-year-old female was allegedly sexually assaulted on Wednesday morning at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house located on Spruce Street, according to the Morgantown Police Department.

''We have identified the victim, however, we have not questioned her about the incident yet,'' said Morgantown Police 1st Sgt. Harold Sperringer.

The incident is currently being investigated by the Morgantown police, he said.

The incident allegedly took place at about 1 a.m. when the victim and a male friend went to the fraternity house located at 780 North Spruce St., according to the police report.

The victim reported that she was allegedly taken into a private room with four males and was forcibly demanded to perform oral sex on the four men, according to the report.

Allegedly, after several failed attempts to escape, the victim was forced to stay in the room and the four men pulled down her pants.

Patrick Niederriter, Inner Fraternity Council president and WVU student, declined to give any information until Phi Kappa Psi, which he is also a member of, was informed of further details.

Andy Wilkins, president of the fraternity's House Corporation, did not release any information regarding the incident. The fraternity has hired defense attorney Tom Dyer, he said.

''We are cooperating with the investigation. We have not uncovered any significant evidence regarding the incident as of now,'' Dyer said.

The fraternity will also be conducting an internal investigation, he said.

West Virginia University officials are aware of the investigation, said Becky Lofstead, spokeswoman for the University.

''Student Life officials and others are cooperating fully with the Morgantown Police Department's investigation,'' she said.

The victim was allegedly very upset and was very reluctant to provide detailed information, according to the police report.

''(While the case is being investigated) the fraternity has been informed to cease all group activities on and off campus, pending the outcome of the investigation,'' Lofstead said.

brenda.paiz@mail.wvu.edu

http://www.da.wvu.edu/new/show_artic...story_id=26536
Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I notice that the fraternity has been suspended, and yet the "victim" is unnamed and "has not been questioned yet."

If it turns out to be a baseless accusation, can we assume she will be charged? If it turns out to be another Duke case, how will the Phi Psis recover their spring semester?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

The media and the law usually accord privacy and secrecy where the victim (or alleged victim) of a sexual assault or rape is concerned.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
I notice that the fraternity has been suspended, and yet the "victim" is unnamed and "has not been questioned yet."

If it turns out to be a baseless accusation, can we assume she will be charged? If it turns out to be another Duke case, how will the Phi Psis recover their spring semester?
Your comment made my jaw hit the floor.
They don't name sexual assault victims. She hasn't been questioned, perhaps because she's still very traumatized. Your subtle accusation disgusts me.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Madam, my comment is not intended to be subtle at all. It is very direct, though I do not wish to offend you. I have watched this type of thing close up from the other side. I have seen lives and careers destroyed on the whim of a false accusation, similar to the Duke case.
When you charactize someone as a "victim" , that word assumes that an assault has in fact taken place. If there is a victim, then there must be a guilty attacker. The accused names are made public, the accuser's name is kept secret. As a practical matter the public does not assume innocence.

Based just on what we see in this brief article about Phi Kappa Psi at West Virginia, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why the fraternity is being punished without any finding of guilt.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The accused names are made public, the accuser's name is kept secret.
Where exactly in that article does it list the names of the 4 accused men?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

You're right. I was speaking in generalities, but you're right.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have watched this type of thing close up from the other side. I have seen lives and careers destroyed on the whim of a false accusation, similar to the Duke case.
And I have seen the side of the victim, when faced with the accusation that she's lying, makes her wish she had never said a thing in the first place so she didn't have to deal with the grief.

Accusations like this are why many victims of sexual assault do not come forward!

Quote:
Based just on what we see in this brief article about Phi Kappa Psi at West Virginia, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why the fraternity is being punished without any finding of guilt.
They haven't been investigated yet. Read the article. The alleged victim hasn't been questioned yet, and the fraternity suspended activities by themselves.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbal View Post
And I have seen the side of the victim, when faced with the accusation that she's lying, makes her wish she had never said a thing in the first place so she didn't have to deal with the grief.

Accusations like this are why many victims of sexual assault do not come forward!

They haven't been investigated yet. Read the article. The alleged victim hasn't been questioned yet, and the fraternity suspended activities by themselves.
That's exactly it. Policy makers have decided that it is more important to create a safe environment for victims of sexual assault and rape to come forward than to accord the accused to confront their accusers in the public eye. There is still a serious social stigma attached to those who report sexual assaults and rapes. Yes, admittedly, some women do make false reports, but the judgment has been made that the court system should be able to sift through the false reports (as happened in the Duke case) while being able to punish those who are truly guilty.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma