GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,221
0 members and 2,221 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGal1203 View Post
If this is true, the whole thing has been handled in a very unprofessional manner and will appear to me to be a "done deal." The nationals presenting who put time and effort into this should be informed of any outcome before some loose cannon shoots off her mouth on a chat board. Frankly, I am very disappointed in the process.

It may be the case that the recommendation of the committee has always been voted on and affirmed in the past. A lot of things work that way it seems to me. It doesn't mean it was a bogus process, just that the final vote isn't actually likely to change the outcome. It might even be the case that all the full vote could do would be send the extension committee back to the drawing board, rather than change the groups selected.

Alabama wins no matter which groups are selected.

If the info IS accurate, yea Syracuse Triad at Bama! (I bet it was the wikipedia entry that tipped the scales ) and yea DG is 2010!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it unusual/unheard of for extension committees to make recommendations based on the info given to them?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
Is it unusual/unheard of for extension committees to make recommendations based on the info given to them?
No.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

then what's the big deal?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
then what's the big deal?
The committee has made it's recommendations, but the final vote hasn't been made. That email was not meant for the public because technically nothing should be posted publicly about ANY expansion (other than maybe who is presenting) until the Panhellenic has voted. Because until the final vote passes, it's not official. For example (not saying that this would happen), what if that email were posted and then there was some sort of issue with what was proposed and the vote didn't pass? Then there are going to be some angry DG and A Phi alumnae out there who are upset over something they weren't even supposed to hear about.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-14-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...so the info shouldn't have been made public, but the committee didn't do anything wrong...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Okay...so the info shouldn't have been made public, but the committee didn't do anything wrong...
No. They didn't.

Quote:
I know nothing about the committee, I'm sure they made the best choices for Bama. I'm just saying that people should not put things out there before they're official in case changes occur. That's all

Lakers Nation.
Unregistered-

Quote:
No one's blaming the committee for doing anything wrong.

What was wrong was posting an email (intended for a select few individuals) on a public message board BEFORE the official announcement was made.

Like BamaGal1203 said, it was very unprofessional.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
No one's blaming the committee for doing anything wrong.

What was wrong was posting an email (intended for a select few individuals) on a public message board BEFORE the official announcement was made.

Like BamaGal1203 said, it was very unprofessional.
I wonder how big a group of people received that correspondence. If it went out to all the chapters, I suspect the cat was already out of the bag.

If it wasn't a big pool of folks, someone's about to get busted.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

That email was sent to the Bama sorority leaders to take to their chapters to present, discuss and vote on during their confidential Chapter Business meetings. It is not appropriate to be sharing this on a public message board. I believe it should be deleted.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I understood the statement in that it's a committee recommendation to the sororities to vote on.
And yes, I did understand that the recommendation is not final until the delegates vote.
So...I don't see that what was posted was so awful.
But...I support a lock on the thread.
(Doesn't mean another thread won't pop up...)

Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
If it wasn't a big pool of folks, someone's about to get busted.
Bama Alumna did mention here that she serves on a sorority Chapter Advisory Board and is employed by UA. Tsk tsk.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
That email was sent to the Bama sorority leaders to take to their chapters to present, discuss and vote on during their confidential Chapter Business meetings. It is not appropriate to be sharing this on a public message board. I believe it should be deleted.
You're kind of trying to un-ring the bell there.

At the point something gets sent out to all the chapters for discussion at chapter, it's not going to be confidential much longer. We can all imagine and hope this isn't the case, but come on now. . .

I'm not saying it was correct for whoever to post here to post it, but deleting it isn't likely to do much good.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

For someone who works at the University, I'd say t hat was pretty unprofessional to post that since it is not public knowledge.... almost as unprofessional as say, that PiPhi girl who came on here and posted "it's not final yet, but here's how my chapter voted!"
Closed Thread