GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,479
Threads: 115,372
Welcome to our newest member, Lovemy3

Old 11-29-2015, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know what this is? A sister in our Crescent Catchers group is trying to find out.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Anyone know what this is? A sister in our Crescent Catchers group is trying to find out.

Not near a copy of Bairds Manual right now, but wasn't there an old, defunct fraternity called W.W.W. Club with a similar badge? The badge does look newer, so I'm probably incorrect.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
TOO MANY PEARLS, can't see anything regarding letters or anything

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
TOO MANY PEARLS, can't see anything regarding letters or anything
Me trying to read that badge
Old 11-29-2015, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hahaha...seriously! Actually, I think it might be upside down. When I turned my phone upside down, it looks like there might be a Lambda and a Y. Or an A. Maybe....
Old 11-30-2015, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hahaha...seriously! Actually, I think it might be upside down. When I turned my phone upside down, it looks like there might be a Lambda and a Y. Or an A. Maybe....
Yeah, I looked at it upside down and thought it maybe M and A?

True and Constant
Old 12-13-2015, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Yeah, I looked at it upside down and thought it maybe M and A?
You're right! The mystery has been solved. it's from the now-defunct Mary Arden Club at the University of North Texas.

http://findingaids.library.unt.edu/?...rolcard&id=272
Old 12-13-2015, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I Was a Member of Both Junior and Senior Mary

Quote:
You're right! The mystery has been solved. it's from the now-defunct Mary Arden Club at the University of North Texas.

http://findingaids.library.unt.edu/?...rolcard&id=272
Oh,my! I was a member of both Junior Mary Arden and Mary Arden. Junior Mary was more selective, requiring a 3.5 GPA plus an A in English the first semester of our Freshman year. We had about 20 members on a campus of 14,400. Freshman English was a killer and many flunked out their Freshman year as a result. As I remember, we were automatically moved up to Mary Arden as an upper classmen. Or women! Both clubs were for women only. We didn't really do much other than have teas. Nor did we have a lodge or pins such in the earlier years. With our one year deferred rush, those in Junior Mary were automatically on our radar.

Chi Omega
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Anyone know what this is?

I am VERY curious about this badge!! It certainly looks like it's akin to Chi Omega, but I don't think it's ours. The date on the back is 1926.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post

I am VERY curious about this badge!! It certainly looks like it's akin to Chi Omega, but I don't think it's ours. The date on the back is 1926.
Especially love the guard! What an interesting placement of the pearls!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Small collection, but precious in my eyes

This is my very small badge collection. I love reading about our history and I love researching the women who wore these badges before me. Not a lot of Delta Zeta represented in this thread because our badges have been standardized since day one. They are some small differences that can only be seen throughout the years. The setting of the diamond in the flame of the lamp can change, but only varied within four settings, the "flower", the "triangle", 3-prong Tiffany setting, and the 4-prong Tiffany setting. Our chapter unfortunately did not allow us a choice, but there is a choice between solid gold and gold plate. The older badges are not as shiny or "bright gold" compared to the new badge. In is my personal opinion that the Roman Lamp has been squished down some and the Wings of Mercury have been shortened, but that may be just me!

Ollie (Klotz) Cowie, February 14th, 1919. Lambda Chapter. Kansas State Agricultural College, now known as Kansas State University

Evelyn (Nettles) Tallon, February 26th, 1954. Alpha Sigma Chapter. Florida State University

The back of Evelyn (Nettles) Tallon's badge. She had it made into a necklace! We are not allowed to wear the Delta Zeta badge anywhere other than pinned above the heart, which makes this badge especially rare in my eyes!

My own personal badge. November 23rd, 2014. Zeta Psi Chapter. Stephen F. Austin State University. Slowly building up my dangles. I have a surprising amount I can put on but they are expensive!

Does anyone know anything about this particular badge? It was attached to Ollie (Klotz) Cowie's badge. She went to the Kansas State Agricultural College, now known as Kansas State University. I went through their online yearbooks from the time and couldn't find anything to match the letters. She married a Richard Cowie, who was in the Masons and American Legion but I can't find anything to match this particular badge.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Were there any women's honorary organizations that she might have belonged to that match these letters?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDZPledge View Post
The back of Evelyn (Nettles) Tallon's badge. She had it made into a necklace! We are not allowed to wear the Delta Zeta badge anywhere other than pinned above the heart, which makes this badge especially rare in my eyes!
I think our Badge would make a really pretty necklace! I wish we were allowed to do that.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that I've ever posted photos of my Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi badge. All of our badges originally come in two pieces. I remember that the diamond shaped portion with the paw and Magen David is to be given to a new member before her initiation, and then the banner with our letters is attached after initiation.

I had the two sections permanently set together, and the engraved with my initials on the back by a local jeweler.

I hope that when my daughter goes on to college, she (hopefully!) is able to become a Sigma. I would love it if she was able to wear my badge!

Old 12-24-2015, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Were there any women's honorary organizations that she might have belonged to that match these letters?
She graduated from Wilson High School in Wilson, Kansas in 1916. Unfortunately, any information about any organizations from the High School are unavailable. I first found a mention of her in the 1918 version of the Royal Purple, Kansas State Agricultural College's yearbook. She is listed as a sophomore in the 1919 yearbook so in 1918, she was a freshman. I don't know why she took 2 years off after graduating High School. Different times I'm guessing. She was a member of St. Cecelia Club.
I believe that she is in the front row, right in the middle. No clues as to what that club was. I found a Saint Cecelia Music Club in Florida in 1917 and a Saint Cecelia Music Club in North Dakota but I don't know for sure if they are all connected. The only other mention of her is in 1919, on the Delta Zeta Page.

This is the last time she is mentioned in college. She is not in the 1920 yearbook. Her son, Richard K. Cowie, was born December 18th, 1923, so I would guess that she left college and married after 1919. Looking for the letters on the pin in the yearbook doesn't show anything. It must have been important for her to have attached it to her Delta Zeta badge!