GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,139
3 members and 1,136 guests
Low D Flat, naraht, sabellashulzez9

Old 04-03-2020, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

How Has COVID Affected Your Org

Hi All,

I'm currently writing something on the bigger effects of social distancing on fraternity organizations (namely that they couldn't lobby and cancellations).

Can any of you help and provide some details on what your organization has done in light of COVID?

In the case of my fraternity:
- Social media emphasis on sharing (gaming usernames, workout apps, etc.)
- Webinars (an increase in webinars, mostly related to COVID)
- Leadership Institute Cancellation (our leadership institute was canceled due to COVID but also a decreasing number of applications.)

Has your organization cancelled a convention? changed up its social media routine? etc.

Thanks in advance,
Nik
Instagram
FraternityMan.com
Old 04-03-2020, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

-weekly chapter meetings but over zoom
-photo challenges to post on social media

National convention hasn't been cancelled just yet but all my campus activities obviously has.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-03-2020, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega's founder's day is April 5, which normally means special events (Eleusinia) held at collegiate and alumnae chapters, whether it's a banquet, brunch, luncheon, etc. This year there won't be things like that going on. Our national archivist will be hosting a Facebook Live event, and some sisters from my chapter will be holding a Zoom get-together on April 5.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Our campus—Rose-Hulman—is closed for the year with online courses only. Nearly all students were already home for a “four week break” when the school cancelled for the year. Many students from far away still have nearly everything in their rooms and, since they were driven from those states by their parents last fall, who knows when they can get back?

We have only 7 young men in our house who are observing social distancing by spreading out all over. Slowly they are finding ways home except for the international students who will stay. Our cook shops for them and prepares food that they can fix. That way she can keep working (which she likes) but eventually she will draw unemployment which does over the summer.

Like fraternitynik, we are all making use of social media to stay in touch. My greatest fear is attrition—nearly all our young engineering students have had their internships cancelled. Many of them relied heavily on that money for books and fraternity expenses. Also a good number have one or both parents laid off of totally out of work. Rose is an $$$ private school, and I can see lots of them transferring out of financial necessity. I know of at least 2 from 1,000 miles who are transferring “home” because they just don’t want to be so far away.
I also wonder about rush next fall; I’m sure enrollment will be down and money, for many, will be tight. Add in that our groups were in the process of a small spring rush. That ended immediately, so all of us will miss out on the 5-7 new members we normally take.

This whole COVID-19 could drastically change Greek life for many years at a number of campuses, both large and small. I think our experience as advisors will be sorely needed and, most likely, tested in ways we’ve not experienced.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta has launched a "Sisterhood at Home" campaign which seeks to offer fellowship at a distance.

- Virtual meet-ups (webinars) for meditation, trivia, baking how-tos, working from home, tap dancing, and leadership principles

- April's Volunteer and Advisor Appreciation Month celebration to be streamed online

- Gamma Phi Beta themed coloring sheets were made available for download

- Social media: we had preexisting FB groups for wellness, moms (motherhood), sisters in the military, and STEM professionals which are being promoted again.

- Convention is not cancelled yet; but they are monitoring the situation.

- Individual collegiate and alumnae chapters are holding meetings online via Zoom or slide show, etc.

True and Constant
Old 04-06-2020, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII has been doing zoom meetings for various officers and the advisors. We then have additional online resources that were just sent out for all members with different topics.

Our International President is going to lead a zoom meeting for all current seniors where she will lead them in the alumnae ceremony.

Edit: a whole slew of virtual programming has been put together for colligates. It is called "Our Promise to You!" which goes right along with our new member experience called "Fulfilling the Promise". It includes everything from Zoom meetings/lectures on all sorts of topics to watch lists and book lists. I'm very impressed as how quickly they put this together!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God

Last edited by ForeverRoses; 04-06-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the replies so far, this is all good to see.

Agree with PGD-Grad, there may be some consequential changes to Greek Life as a whole after all of this, so I am interested to see these early adaptations from everyone.

Not many men's groups represented, and eager to hear more.

Thanks again!
NPJK
Instagram
FraternityMan.com
Old 04-08-2020, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraternitynik View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far, this is all good to see.

Agree with PGD-Grad, there may be some consequential changes to Greek Life as a whole after all of this, so I am interested to see these early adaptations from everyone.

Not many men's groups represented, and eager to hear more.

Thanks again!
NPJK
I sent you an email or two about my org's responses.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Delta just announced the cancellation of our Convention this summer. We celebrate International Reunion Day the 3rd Sat in April and several alumnae groups are doing that virtually.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
Alpha Gamma Delta just announced the cancellation of our Convention this summer. We celebrate International Reunion Day the 3rd Sat in April and several alumnae groups are doing that virtually.
Did AGD simply say it's cancelled, not postponed? Will they hold it next year instead or simply wait another two years?

I wonder what happens with elections of national officers if all of these conventions are cancelled or postponed.

Alpha Sigma Tau just held our annual Night to Reunite event last week, and many chapters and sisters met virtually over Zoom.

@~/~~~~
Old 04-11-2020, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Did AGD simply say it's cancelled, not postponed? Will they hold it next year instead or simply wait another two years?

I wonder what happens with elections of national officers if all of these conventions are cancelled or postponed.

It's cancelled. The 2022 convention location was announced this week - it's usually announced at convention.

Alpha Gam does elections prior to convention, and the FAQ released stated that officer installation would happen this summer.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

It was cancelled. The day after the cancellation announcement went out, they announced the location of our next convention in 2022.
As for international Officer elections...ours are always held electronically before convention and then installation happens at convention. They are figuring out if there is a way to do that virtually as well as announce the awards that would have been handed out this summer.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

A neighbor of mine who is a ZTA told me that their convention is moving to a virtual platform.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
A neighbor of mine who is a ZTA told me that their convention is moving to a virtual platform.
Just read on another thread that Delta Gamma is doing the same thing.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Cancelled Dance Fundraiser...but still doing all we can !

Hi all! COVID-19 has led to the cancellation of one of our biggest fundraisers in Panhel. Right now, the event is being replaced by a TikTok challenge. I would really appreciate it if you could maybe drop a like and show some Greek love in the comments so that we can raise money for our philanthropy ! At the end of the day it’s all for the kids—even if we are in a tough situation right now. PPLAM and stay safe out there

https://vm.tiktok.com/nr2pHJ/