GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,426
3 members and 1,423 guests
LaneSig, PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 01-02-2017, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomma View Post
Got it!

That seems reasonable I keep preaching keeping an open mind and that her feelings may change as the process goes on.

We are just thankful it's finally time to get started!
Temperatures are supposed to drop on Friday, so hopefully your daughter can stay warm!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We have been watching the weather and I think she has everything she needs. But, those are some VERY VERY COLD temps!

Thankfully, it's not sleet, ice, or inches and inches of snow!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We have been watching the weather and I think she has everything she needs. But, those are some VERY VERY COLD temps!

Thankfully, it's not sleet, ice, or inches and inches of snow!
When I went through recruitment, back in the dark ages when it was still called rush, it was so cold that winter that I parked my car near each house and stayed in it with the heat blasting until a few minute before the doors opened. Outside of one house, I had 7 girls in my tiny car. :-) We must have looked like a clown car when we all rolled out of there.

Hope she (and all the PNMs) stay warm!! and safe!!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

That has me tempted to let her have a car for the first couple of weeks If it weren't for having to move it for those pesky basketball games, it sounds like a great plan!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I know when it gets really cold (and panhel approves it), we let the women come in the back door and wait in one of our side stairwells. Then they have to walk outside from the back of the house to the front and come back in the front door at the start of the party. It's not ideal, but it keeps everyone from turning into human popsicles.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Brrr! IU needs to switch to fall recruitment. Why do they wait for January?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know the official reasoning, but I think there are many pluses and minuses with fall vs. "spring" recruitment. I think they claim it's to focus on academics first, but it seems so long to wait!

I really do wish they would have done fall though! So much easier (and cheaper!) to buy clothes for August and heat is easier than this extreme cold or even worse, snow storms like a few years ago!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Brrr! IU needs to switch to fall recruitment. Why do they wait for January?
The last time changing recruitment was discussed, the chapters were given a fall option- but it would have meant doing all of recruitment during the week of fall break in October. The chapters decided to move to completely differed recruitment.

There was a time when the open house rounds were held in early December and the rest of recruitment was in January. PanHellenic received a lot of negative feedback from parents and the school newspaper because the weekend was stressful and it wasn't "fair" to have recruitment during classes.

Since the majority of women sign up for recruitment once they are already on campus, I think moving to before school starts would cause many women that end up going through to miss the opportunity. but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

23 houses - can't imagine!!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick question - does anyone know if IU hands out booklets for the PNMs to take note in? Trying to pack the tote bag that she will take with her
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post

There was a time when the open house rounds were held in early December and the rest of recruitment was in January. PanHellenic received a lot of negative feedback from parents and the school newspaper because the weekend was stressful and it wasn't "fair" to have recruitment during classes.
Back in the Dark Ages when I was at IU, the first round was held on a weekend in October and the rest was done in January. Talk about a long wait between first and second rounds!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quick question - does anyone know if IU hands out booklets for the PNMs to take note in? Trying to pack the tote bag that she will take with her
I don't know anything specific about IU's recruitment, but I think it would probably be a very good idea for you to have a small notepad and pen or pencil in there for her to jot down impressions when she has a moment between houses. My daughter didn't have one and wound up trying to take notes on her schedule! Best of luck to your daughter – hope she has a fun recruitment and that it doesn't get too cold up there.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! Just saw this. My daughter went through rush at IU last year. She took notes on her phone in between parties and it was a huge help. Have your daughter write down who she talked to, what they talked about, what she loved/disliked, and a few adjectives that best describe the "vibe" and the girls in the chapter. It will come in VERY handy when she has to rank all the chapters, especially when there are so many in the beginning.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Great advice.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! That is exactly what our plan is! She will keep pencil and paper, but the plan is to text the notes from each house to me so I can keep a copy here at home in case something happens with her phone. Then I will assemble and resend them to her while she is at her last house and she can rank accordingly.

She goes into her first house in 15 minutes!