GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,523
0 members and 2,523 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is it too late to decide to rush at UK?

Hello, all! I want to start off by saying this is not a "chance me" kind of thread- just a request for honest opinions and personal experiences that might help me decide if rushing is a good idea at this point.

I have been struggling with the idea of whether or not to go through formal recruitment for a while. The reason for my uncertainty was that I am in a pretty difficult major and need a 3.3 to maintain scholarships. (I mention this only because I want to clarify that it was not an issue of desire.)

Finally, I decided that sorority life was for me and I would find a way to work with the time commitments. The trouble is that I did not realize how much preparation was required to have a successful rush! I thought it would be as simple as filling out the registration form and coming with the appropriate outfits. The pamphlet/website said recommendations were not required, and most of my family was either never involved with Greek life or went through recruitment in a much more casual setting.

Coming on here and doing more research, I feel swamped and under prepared. I don't have tea cards or recommendations, and I am not a legacy.

So I would just like some honest opinions on whether or not I should rush, or if my lack of recommendations would put me at a heavy disadvantage and make the experience a disheartening one. I want to start my year off positively. :/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM

I know I'm still writing recs even though we're past the mid-point of July. If you hustle, you can make it happen. You'll just have more of a whirlwind preparation than the PNMs who started in the spring.

Make your resume right now, and get on the phone hunting down rec writers. Explain just what you did here - that you wanted to rush all along but thought it might interfere with your scholarships. Now you have been assured it won't, so you want to make it happen.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

UK...Kentucky?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

i handed out my last rec packets last week... there is still time! Even if you can't find recs for every chapter, it's better to have some than none at all. Write a resume and make copies of a professional picture or get some taken immediately. If this is something you really want, there is no reason not to try!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Do what you can now. Fire all cylinders to find the people you can to send in as many recs (1-2 per sorority if possible) as you can. It's probably too late to use your local alumnae panhellenic, but it's still worth trying, like TODAY. Then, go through with your head held high. You may receive larger cuts than the girls who have been prepping for rush for the last 18 years of their lives, but you probably won't get cut out completely. There is a certain bliss to not going in over-prepared, like avoiding the devastation of any cuts to the girl who just knows exactly where she's meant to be because she knows absolutely everything about every chapter and had all the right recs, etc. etc. That's not to say you won't also experience disappointment, but sometimes it's good to not know what you don't know.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

And, in every recruitment, there are PNMs who are spectacular and have successful recruitments because they go in with an open mind and a great attitude even though they haven't prepared for the last 18 years, etc.

You, Kathlec, can be That Girl in recruitment (sorry Thetas, it really isn't a reference to You-Know-Who). The one who everyone falls in like with, and who gets invited back to parties, and ends up in a great place. Note that I didn't write "the most popular chapter that year" or "her first choice".

Work on your attitude and conversation skills. Be authentic and genuine. Don't freak out. Don't listen to tent talk. Good luck!!!!! I hope you find a home.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere112 View Post
You can do it! I just sent my last two packets on Monday! Go on the national websites, look up local alums and POLITELY ask if they would be willing to write you a rec! Unfortunately, I sent out some of these emails a month ago and am just now getting replies. Get to it! Good luck!
Respectfully, you have been on this site for about 10 minutes... maybe 20 minutes I don't believe that you have never been through rush. You are not Greek yet. Please let those with more knowledge and experience answer these kinds of questions. We all know that you are excited & enthusiastic and that is wonderful!

Please understand that what you read on the Internet might not always be completely complete, accurate or even reality in the Real World.

Last edited by thetalady; 07-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

d

Last edited by hithere112; 08-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Spread the word that you need recs stat. Ask parents' friends, teachers, coaches, church people, distant relations, co workers and neighbors. Dont be shy about asking. More people are greek than you know. Don't forget the men..they have wives, sisters and moms who were greek. Create a nice looking resume and pick a flattering photo. Make copies and have packets ready to send out.

Clean up Facebook and set to private. Read the recruitment book for UK and read some of the sticky threads re conversation, expectations, etc. Good luck! Sorority life will typically HELP you academically, not hinder. We have had several fun UK stories in the past few years.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I am assuming we are talking about The University of Kentucky and not those other blue wearing, basketball playing UK folks.

Quote:
I don't have tea cards
If you have left over name card inserts from your gradulation invitations, they will work just fine for tea cards. The actives go through them quickly and mostly to see who actually attended parties on their schedule. I've seen girls tear up notebook paper and write their name on it at the last minute.

As for recs, I checked with my daughter who is a chapter president at UK. She said girls will report to work week about the 2nd week of August and she expects that they will be receiving and reviewing recs right up until recruitment week.

And I agree whole heartedly with DubaiSis; sometimes not stressing over it for a year or better takes away some of the burdens of being over prepared. My daughter and I tried with all our might to get a girl on the ball last year getting recs, etc. She had 4 recs tops going in and did just fine. She is very happy with her home. There are no bad sororities at "the" UK.

Get busy and you will be fine. You sound like a high acheiver.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass the Pinot View Post
I am assuming we are talking about The University of Kentucky and not those other blue wearing, basketball playing UK folks.
Those folks are KU
Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathlec View Post
I don't have tea cards
Off topic, but I had no idea that there were schools where PNMs had to provide their own tea cards. When I went through recruitment, my school provided each PNM with a stack of the cards we used as nametags which had our names and PNM numbers printed on them, and those were used as tea cards.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
Off topic, but I had no idea that there were schools where PNMs had to provide their own tea cards. When I went through recruitment, my school provided each PNM with a stack of the cards we used as nametags which had our names and PNM numbers printed on them, and those were used as tea cards.
I think that it is wild that UK is still using tea cards. I had no idea what to bring when I went there many years ago and almost left my tea cards at home (I had no idea that I would ever need them for rush, so it was just coincidence that I had them, really). I guess it is UK tradition, along with needing a white dress for pledging. I was able to get away with an ivory dress that was trimmed in a small print.

So if you go through recruitment, you will need 1) tea cards or a substitute and 2) a white dress for pledging, which can be worn for other events during your time in a sorority. Good luck with recruitment!

Last edited by barbino; 07-17-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, check out this website for info on tea cards at UK:

www.//sororitygirl101.com/category/tea-cards

(Link may not work, you may have to google it)
There are two entries: the one from Monday, July 2, 2012, and the second part, from Tues. July 3. Both of these give great information on UK recruitment. I've seen this before; it's pretty good.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
Eastern Kentucky always provided the cards for PNMs, however they did away with those last year and it was awesome! Attendance is taken at the door anyway with the Gamma Chi's letting chapters know who is or isn't there on the list for that party. Tea cards were overkill and a waste of paper in my opinion.