GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,240
1 members and 1,239 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Would it be inappropriate to wear a black dress as a PNM on Pref Day?

I bought an all-black dress to wear on Pref Day when I rush this fall. It is very flattering and I like it a lot, but I had been told by a friend who is an active that it's not such a good idea to wear black on Pref Day as a PNM because sisters are required to wear either black or white for that day and they might mistake me for one of them. Should I be all right, or should I consider buying another dress?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We often give the same advice about wearing black on pref night. Since the friend is an active, you may want to listen to her as she knows the campus well and not all of us, myself included, are as familiar with the campus. Another way to get around this is to wear a statement necklace that is bright colored or shoes (or both possibly). Not sure if this is a fashion that is accepted at FSU. If you can find a dress or have a dress to swap it may be something to think about, but what is very important is for you to be comfortable.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-15-2013, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Paging FSUZeta!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if you can't wear it for Pref Night, you will always need an LBD for other occasions. I agree that you should listen to your active friend. and FSUZeta when she comes online.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Lol ^^^

You posted just what I was going to say in the time it took me to log in.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Lol ^^^

You posted just what I was going to say in the time it took me to log in.
Great minds think alike.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM

My chapter wore black on pref night. One chapter wore white, and all the others wore black. So, if you do choose a black dress, you may be mistaken for a sister by other PNMs. But sisters will also be wearing their badges, and their name tags will probably be a different color and/or shape.

You could accent your dress with a brightly colored scarf or wrap. You don't need to buy a new dress. Also, if you do join a chapter that wears black for pref, you'll already have your black dress - and, regardless, what young woman doesn't need a black dress in her closet?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Statisically speaking if all of the sisters are asked to wear black to prefs (maybe 150 of them?) and you wear black - what are the odds someone will be wearing the same dress as you? would that bother you?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

At the University of Texas it is somewhat of a tradition for all the pnm's to wear black dresses. Every once in a while you'll see a different color but not often.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It really does vary by school, but I don't think it would be a HUGE deal even if it's traditional. Black is such a common dress to wear at a cocktail party that I can't imagine you'd be the only one who showed up in one. But given an alternative AND you have friends suggesting you don't, then I'd probably find something non-black to wear. And if you would happen to score a nice, appropriate WHITE dress, you will more than likely need one during sorority life.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess that I am from the school of thought that if you love the dress, it fits well and you're confident in it....wear it. You can mix it up with colored accessories. Wear a brightly colored shoe and a great statement necklace, you will not be mistaken for one of the actives. If it bothers you, look around at other dresses. You may not find another dress in which you feel as confident and if you don't, I really don't know how you can go wrong in a great LBD.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I guess that I am from the school of thought that if you love the dress, it fits well and you're confident in it....wear it. You can mix it up with colored accessories. Wear a brightly colored shoe and a great statement necklace, you will not be mistaken for one of the actives. If it bothers you, look around at other dresses. You may not find another dress in which you feel as confident and if you don't, I really don't know how you can go wrong in a great LBD.
This is just what I would say. Go with what makes you feel confident and comfortable, because that will allow you to shine.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I wore a black dress to prefs. So did the sorority I ended up joining
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I wore a black dress to prefs. So did the sorority I ended up joining
Me too. I'm pretty sure most groups can tell the difference between sister and PNM.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
If you love the black dress, wear the black dress. There's a lot to be said for a dress that you feel good in.

If there is no rule against, I would not worry about it.