GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,661
0 members and 2,661 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2004, 09:48 PM

Sorority and Fraternity Creeds

With rush (oops, sorry, I mean recruitment) season upon us, GreekChat is no doubt teeming with potential new members looking for information about the fraternities and sororities on their campuses and greek life in general.

As all of us greeks know, each of our organizations has a particular set of fundemental beliefs, convictions or purposes that we, as individual members, try to exemplify in our daily lives. These are most often summed up in what my sorority calls our Creed, although other organizations may use words such as Symphony, Constitution or Purpose.

I'm sure this thread idea has been used before, but I thought it would be a nice idea if we could all write down our Creeds here and now to give PNMs some insight into what we are really about underneath all the recruitment fuss and feathers.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2004, 09:50 PM

Delta Zeta Creed

To the world
I promise temperance and insight and courage,
To crusade for justice,
To seek the truth and defend it always;

To those whom my life may touch
in slight measure
May I give graciously
Of what is mine;

To my friends,
Understanding and appreciation;

To those closer ones,
Love that is ever steadfast;

To my mind,
Growth;

To myself,
Faith
That I may walk truly
In the light of the Flame.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mmcline
Alpha Sigma Tau's Creed

As a member of Alpha Sigma Tau,
I believe in the permanence and loveliness of it's ideals
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose
I believe in fulfillment of self and will strive to contribute my share to the progress of mankind
I believe in cultivating beauty of spirit and graciousness of living in all my contacts with others
I believe that faithfulness to these ideals will help me to live joyously and vailiantly.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose

To gain understanding that wisdom may be vouchsafed to me.

To develop and prize health and vigor of body.

To cultivate acquaintance with many whom I meet.

To cherish Friendships with but a chosen Few and to study the perfecting of those Friendships.

To welcome the opportunity of contributing to the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service thereby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied.

To honor my home, my country, my religious faith.

To hold truth inviolable, sincerity essential, kindness invaluable.

To covet beauty in environment, manner, word and thought.

To possess high ideals and to attain somewhat unto them.

This shall be my PURPOSE, that those who know me may esteem ALPHA GAMMA DELTA for her attainments, revere her for her purposes and love her for her womanhood.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
The Creed of Tau Kappa Epsilon

To Believe in love and loyalty to my College, my Fraternity, my Country, and my God;

To Believe in the worthiness and dignity of my fellow man, and judge him solely upon his personal worth and character;

To Believe with fidelity in the traditions and ideals of my Fraternity, and upon my sacred honor, to uphold them;

To Believe in the constant search for truth, and through it, to seek the goal of wisdom;

To Believe in the life based upon integrity, justice, sincerity, patience, moderation, culture, and challenge in order to serve as a responsible, mature member of society;

To Believe in the cardinal principles of Love, Charity, and Esteem and to use them to guide my life;

To Believe in my Fraternity as a brotherhood of gentlemen in perpetual quest of excellence as a way of life.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
The Creed of Phi Mu

To lend to those less fortunate a helping hand.
To think of God as a protector and guide of us all.
To keep forever sacred the memory of those we have loved and lost.
To be to others what we would they would be to us.
To keep our lives gentle, merciful and just,
Thus being true to the womanhood of love.

To walk in the way of honor, guarding the purity of our thoughts and deeds.
Being steadfast in every duty small or large.
Believing that our given word is binding.
Striving to esteem the inner man above culture, wealth or pedigree.
Being honorable, courteous, tender,
Thus being true to the womanhood of honor.

To serve in the light of truth avoiding egotism, narrowness, and scorn.
To give freely of our sympathies.
To reverence God as our Maker, striving to serve Him in all things.
To minister to the needy and unfortunate.
To practice day by day love, honor, truth.
Thus keeping true to the meaning, spirit and reality of Phi Mu.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
The Creed of Alpha Delta Pi

I believe in Alpha Delta Pi. I believe that my sorority is more than a ritual or a symbol; that it is a way of life. I believe that the principles established by our founders in 1851 are enduring attributes, exemplifying the highest ideals of Christian womanhood. I believe that our motto, "We Live for Each Other," expresses the true spirit of fraternity; and that by living this motto my life will be enriched by true friendships and by unselfish service to mankind. I believe that the privilege of membership in Alpha Delta Pi brings the responsibility to do my best in whatever I undertake, always remembering that leadership requires confidence tempered with humility and courage blended with tolerance.

I believe that I must strive to become a well-balanced person by following the dictates of the four points symbolized by our diamond-shaped badge: first, strengthening my own character and personality; second, watching my attitudes toward my fellow-beings; third, recognizing the value of high educational standards; and fourth, developing faith and loyalty.

I believe that these four guide-posts, guarded by the stars and friendly hands clasped in the Adelphean bonds of fellowship, will lead me to achieve a rich and useful life.

~ Caralee Strock Stanard

(I have this framed and prominently displayed in my bedroom as a reminder everyday of what I need to strive toward)
Old 08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma's Purpose:

Delta Gamma offers to women of all ages a rich heritage based on principles of personal intergrity, personal responsibility and intellectual honesty. Our primary purpose is to foster high ideals of friendship, promote educational and cultural interests, create a true sense of social responsibility and develop the finest qualities of character.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

The Symphony of Alpha Xi Delta

These things do we earnestly desire:

A clear vision of life, that with gracious and kindly hearts we may share both joy and sorrow, and bring into living reality the sisterhood of women.

An appreciation of real merit and worth, steadfastness of soul, that without bitterness or defeat we may encounter misfortune, and with humility meet success.

These things, o Lord, help us to instill within our hearts, that we may grow in courage and graciousness and peace.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the title of "The Symphony of Alpha Xi Delta"

Sounds like a beautifiul song!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The purpose of Delta Delta Delta shall be to establish a perpetual bond of friendship among its members, to develop a stronger and more womanly character, to broaden the moral and intellectual life, and to assist its members in every possible way.

It shall also be the purpose of Delta Delta Delta to promote and develop mutually beneficial relationships between the Fraternity and the colleges and universities where the Fraternity has established chapters, to develop qualities of unselfish leadership among its members, and to encourage them to assume, with integrity and devotion to moral and democratic principles, the highest responsibilities of college women.

(i'm pretty sure that second part was added later...but maybe i'm wrong)
Old 08-28-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
The Purpose of Sigma Kappa:

The purpose of Sigma Kappa Sorority is to unite its members in a bond of sincere friendship for the development of character and the promotion of social, literary, and intellectual culture to support and further the program and objectives of the colleges where its chapters are functioning; to strive for high standards of achievement-scholastically, socially, and spiritually; and to make a constructive contribution to the communities in which its collegiate and alumnae clubs are located by encouraging the exercise of the rights and obligations of good citizens and the support of worthwhile civic, social and philanthropic projects.

One Heart One Way. . .

Last edited by PSUSigKap; 08-28-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Mission Statement

The objectives of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. are to stimulate the ambition of its members; to prepare them for the greatest usefulness in the cause of humanity, freedom, and dignity of the individual; to encourage the highest and noblest form of manhood; and to aid downtrodden humanity in its efforts to achieve higher social, economic, and intellectual status.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Alpha Phi Omega's mission statement:

To strengthen the presence of Alpha Phi Omega on college campuses and among its members
To support the spread of the Fraternity's principles and activities on college campuses and among its members
To provide opportunities for its members and college students to develop effective leadership skills
To promote fellowship among all people
To provide service to humanity
To further our acknowledged freedoms

And although the Jaycees are not a GLO, I wanted to share the Jaycee creed with everyone. Jaycees seemed like a very natural progression for me after APO and the creed kind of explains it...the principles are very similar.

WE BELIEVE...
That faith in God gives meaning and purpose to human life;
That the brotherhood of man transcends the sovereignty of nations;
That economic justice can best be won by free men through free enterprise;
That government should be of laws rather than of men;
That earth's great treasure lies in human personality;
And that service to humanity
is the best work of life.

There's a really good interpretation/explanation of the creed here: http://www.iljaycees.org/creed_interpreted.htm
Old 08-29-2004, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EXColony
THE CREED OF SIGMA CHI

I believe in fairness, decency, and good manners. I will endeavor to retain the spirit of youth. I will try to make my college, the Sigma Chi Fraternity, and my own chapter more honored by all men and women and more beloved and honestly respected by our own brothers. I say these words in all sincerity: That Sigma Chi has given me favor and distinction; that the bond of our fellowship is reciprocal; that I will endeavor to so build myself and so conduct myself that I will ever be a credit to our Fraternity.
- George Ade, Purdue 1887