GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,681
0 members and 1,681 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Please Help! I Think I've Made a Terrible Mistake!

I believe I have made a terrible mistake my emailing the sponsor of a returning sorority on my campus. I am very green when it comes to all things Greek life and am now realizing how big of a mistake this really was. The last thing I wanted to do was come off as aggressive, incompetent or inappropriate and I feel that my actions may have done just that. The email simply asked for information about future membership in the sorority. However, now more than ever I see what a mistake this was and how inappropriate sending this email was. I received no reply to this email. With all that being said, I still want to seek membership to this sorority in the future, but am afraid that this horrible email will taint both my images and chances of being seriously considered. If anyone has advice or help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean by "sponsor"? And, is this an NPC sorority?
Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousNancy View Post
I believe I have made a terrible mistake my emailing the sponsor of a returning sorority on my campus. I am very green when it comes to all things Greek life and am now realizing how big of a mistake this really was. The last thing I wanted to do was come off as aggressive, incompetent or inappropriate and I feel that my actions may have done just that. The email simply asked for information about future membership in the sorority. However, now more than ever I see what a mistake this was and how inappropriate sending this email was. I received no reply to this email. With all that being said, I still want to seek membership to this sorority in the future, but am afraid that this horrible email will taint both my images and chances of being seriously considered. If anyone has advice or help, it would be greatly appreciated.
How was the email horrible?? All you did was ask for more information? If this is NPHC, the process is very, very different from NPC. We cannot respond correctly without that information....
Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

If this is a colony of an NPC sorority you likely did nothing wrong. Expressing interest is a good thing! Now, if you said you are pledging, you are going to be president and you want the board members to be Amy Sarah and Lisa, then yeah, you probably went overboard. But the colony people desperately want to find out who the interested collegians are so they will be happy to have received an email.

If it's not a colony and you're talking about informal or formal rush, you may have overstepped a little, but even then expressing interest once isn't deadly. Twice a day, why haven't you responded to me!!! (when they are possibly not allowed to), etc. isn't cool. But a Hey, I'm looking forward to rushing! would be seen as enthusiastic, not creepy.

In short, I wouldn't freak out about it.