GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,287
4 members and 1,283 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

okay, so I've tried to read as much of this thread as I could, but I didn't quite find what I'm looking for. forgive me if the answer should be obvious, but it's been stated multiple times that dual membership in two NPCs is not allowed, but what about an NPC and a local? I recently transferred schools and there's no chapter of my NPC here. Is there anyway I could join the local sorority? I've been told I could because it's local, but I've also been told that in order to do so I would need to drop my NPC. I am not willing to do that. I just miss greek life.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I *think* you can, but I would double check with AGD. If I remember correctly, in the DePauw DZ mess the girls that were given alumnae status started a local. Now whether or not they gave a damn what DZ thought after that whole debacle, who knows? (Not bashing DZ at all!)

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD1111 View Post
okay, so I've tried to read as much of this thread as I could, but I didn't quite find what I'm looking for. forgive me if the answer should be obvious, but it's been stated multiple times that dual membership in two NPCs is not allowed, but what about an NPC and a local? I recently transferred schools and there's no chapter of my NPC here. Is there anyway I could join the local sorority? I've been told I could because it's local, but I've also been told that in order to do so I would need to drop my NPC. I am not willing to do that. I just miss greek life.
Since you are already in an NPC sorority, this question should first be addressed to appropriate people in your sorority (i.e., IHQ).
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think MysticCat's advice is sound—and logically I would think the final verdict would be dependent on whether or not your current campus has any NPCs and if there are, whether or not the local you are considering is a member of the campus Panhellenic. (Someone let me know if I'm on the wrong track with that logic?)

Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I got my answer. So for anyone that goes through this in the future, dual membership in an NPC and a local IS allowed.
Alpha Gam willalways, always be part of me

ΑΓΔ
Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I got my answer. So for anyone that goes through this in the future, dual membership in an NPC and a local IS allowed.
...in your situation. It seems like an awfully broad generalization to say it's true for all NPCs or all locals.

/lane swerve

I'm glad it seems to be working out for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

that's true. I should've thought of that before I posted here. I would assume it's true for most, but I'm definitely not an authority on that. I would hope people just don't run into this issue. it's kind of stressful :\
Alpha Gam willalways, always be part of me

ΑΓΔ
Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know what the policy for someone who was initiated into an NPC GLO, transferred schools a week after initiating and would now like to become a member in an IFC GLO (it's coed) at their new university? The sorority she was initiated into is not present at the new school. Someone had said at one point that she might need to be desistered from the the sorority, but would that necessarily be true if it's NPC and IFC?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmagali View Post
Does anyone know what the policy for someone who was initiated into an NPC GLO, transferred schools a week after initiating and would now like to become a member in an IFC GLO (it's coed) at their new university? The sorority she was initiated into is not present at the new school. Someone had said at one point that she might need to be desistered from the the sorority, but would that necessarily be true if it's NPC and IFC?
You need to ask the IFC GLO.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

And there's no such thing as "desistering." One resigns one's membership.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Also you shouldn't be treating what ever the fraternity is as a consolation prize.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know the original poster left it general, but isn't there only one member of the NIC which has co-ed chapters? (ADPhi)
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I know the original poster left it general, but isn't there only one member of the NIC which has co-ed chapters? (ADPhi)
Looks like that's what this person is a member of:

Quote:
I'm a member of the Alpha Delta Phi Society!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity ("ADPhi") is all-male. Alpha Delta Phi Society, which split from ADPhi over the co-ed issue and which shares traditions with the fraternity, is co-ed. But I don't think the Society is a member of the NIC.

As Vito would tell you, Psi U has co-ed chapters. So does Delta Psi (aka St. Anthony Hall).

ETA: I checked the NIC website, and Alpha Delta Phi Society is not listed as a member. But note what maverickmagali said:
Quote:
. . . .but would that necessarily be true if it's NPC and IFC?
NIC and IFC are not the same thing. Fraternities that are not NIC members can and often are IFC members.

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-14-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clarity and addition
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

As Vito would tell you, Psi U has co-ed chapters.
We actually had a chapter that for like a year the only member was a woman. We also have a chapter that intentionally always elects a women to serve on the IFC.