GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,417
4 members and 1,413 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama recruitment question

I have a friend who's daughter is going through rush right now. Her daughter had 4 parties for the sisterhood round. She loves three of the four, but the fourth she has not liked from day one. Every party there has been awkward for her. Since she has not had a full schedule, she cannot drop them. Obviously the decision on which 3 she wants to go back to tomorrow with be easy. Her and her mother are really stressing out though because they are worried that this house will show up on her schedule for pref tomorrow since it will only take 1 of the other 3 houses dropping her for that to happen. She's a very laid back girl and has had a good time at all the other house, but she just cannot see herself in this one house. She knows that she will have to sign a card tomorrow, after the parties, stating that she agrees to except a bid from any of the houses she went to that day. She doesn't know what to do. If she happens to get a bid from this house and she drops out, she will have to wait a whole calendar year before she can join another house. Do you all have an advice on what see should do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

If she can't see herself accepting a bid from them, she shouldn't put their name on the MRABA.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
If she can't see herself accepting a bid from them, she shouldn't put their name on the MRABA.
What is a MRABA?
Old 08-17-2017, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The bid card PNMs sign after preference. It spells out the rules they're bound to when they sign it, which includes being unable to accept a bid for a calendar year after a woman receives a bid, even if she declines it.

I think GC goes back and forth a lot on the subject of not listing a sorority on a bid card, but this is a situation where I think it's best to leave them off. If she's had bad experiences at every round and truly could not see herself there, and would potentially rather not be Greek than accept a bid from this chapter, she should not list them.

I won't get too far into the weeds of what her options are if she decides not to list this chapter and does not receive a bid as a result, because that's getting a little far ahead of ourselves. She may not even go to pref with this group, and hopefully a woman who does want to be there is invited instead.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I looked up the information on the schools Panhellenic page and it does say she does not have to list all the houses. When I told her mother, the mother said the way it was explained to them made it sound like they had to list all the houses. I'm not sure if she heard wrong or was told incorrect information.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphib_95 View Post
Okay, I looked up the information on the schools Panhellenic page and it does say she does not have to list all the houses. When I told her mother, the mother said the way it was explained to them made it sound like they had to list all the houses. I'm not sure if she heard wrong or was told incorrect information.
It is all in how it was worded.....

If she does NOT list both of her pref houses, then she runs the risk of getting no bid at all. If she is not high enough on the bid list to the house that she wants, she forfeits that guarantee that PNMs get.. that if they maximize ALL of their options, they are guaranteed to be placed. The theory is that the PNM should give all of the houses a chance, accept their bids and at least try for a few weeks.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM

If she doesn't put all her chapters down, she also forfeits the chance to be a quota addition, correct?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
If she truly will not accept a bid from this house, then she should NOT list them. If she receives a bid from them and declines it, she is ineligible for additional recruitment for 1 year. That's until formal recruitment next year. That means she cannot participate in COB or in any colonization recruitment that may occur this fall or this coming spring.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If she doesn't put all her chapters down, she also forfeits the chance to be a quota addition, correct?
Yes, if she doesn't put down all chapters that she visited for preference, she cannot be a quota addition. She can received a snap bid or a COB bid later.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Exactly... I thought it might be confusing to add that information
Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Tonight, though, she needs to put down all the houses. She may get the hated house on her pref party list. She HAS to go to all pref parties.
After the pref parties (Friday), list only the houses she will accept a bid from. Do not list the house she will not accept.
Yes, she runs the risk of not receiving a bid at all.
No, she will not be eligible for quota additon (or snap bid, or whatever it is).
But she will still be eligible for COB.

However, not all sororities take COB new members. If she has a house that she wants the most, that house may not be pledging new members until spring, or even until next fall.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't posted in years, but always enjoy visiting this site during recruitment.
Is this one of those situations that should the PNM end up prefing at a house she wants, and the one she doesn't, that being limited to 2 at preference is detrimental? Had 3 houses been an option, she would have better odds. I'm just asking. 2 houses would have made a difference in my daughters recruitment at Alabama years ago.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

No, actually it's the other way around because the RFM system takes that into consideration with the computations.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I am pretty sure this mom is posting in another group I am in. The verbage, Alabama and the situation is identical. She has been advised in that group to go to EVERY party tomorrow. And, to go to every pref party. And to list them all.

She needs to give every group a chance if she wants to be Greek.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree. If she is invited back to the group that she absolutely does not see herself joining, go to the pref party with an open mind. Pref has changed many a mind.
If she still can not see herself in this chapter AT ALL, do NOT list it on her MRABA. Yes, it may reduce her chances as a quota addition to other groups, but I feel that it is a risk she may want to take. You would be surprised to see the number of COBs that are offered at Alabama second semester from many groups due to graduation and attrition for other reasons like grades and finances.
IMO, better to keep options open rather than be bound to a house for a whole year that she will not join.
Alabama does still have an upperclass quota so if she goes bidless she still has a decent chance during recruitment 2018 plus there will be a colonization next fall as well (Sigma Kappa).