GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,185
1 members and 1,184 guests
No Members online

Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

When to ask to formal?

So my fraternity's formal is the weekend of April 1-3. When should I ask my date, Our spring break is in 2 weeks from March 11-21. How early should you generally ask someone? Also how should I ask? Should it just be a simple face to face thing or do you go all out like in high school and sticky note her car or something?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmkr19 View Post
So my fraternity's formal is the weekend of April 1-3. When should I ask my date, Our spring break is in 2 weeks from March 11-21. How early should you generally ask someone? Also how should I ask? Should it just be a simple face to face thing or do you go all out like in high school and sticky note her car or something?
At my school, people just asked, nothing special. Now would be a good time since the girl can spend time to get a dress/make sure she has no conflicting plans.

If you're asking a sorority girl, make sure she doesn't have a formal the same weekend.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Was it the Hills where everyone asks them out elaborately with like monkey suits and stuff?

That. We do that and you should too.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, if it's a weekend affair, then you should either take a girl who is your girlfriend, or a girl who is a friend. Asking a girl you kinda like to go away for the weekend goes horribly awry, more often than not, IMO.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask ASAP, because you're only giving her a month's notice, and you're probably competing with the dates of at least one other fraternity's formal.

To ask be as elaborate as you like/relative to your affection for the lady. My go-to is a handwritten note on nice stationary. It's a lost art, and a no fail way to the gentleman of the year award. (Over the top is not my style, I keep it understated)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmkr19 View Post
I would probably ask her within the next couple of days; we girls need a good amount of time to prepare for a whole weekend away.
I think asking in person would be the nicest way, but I'd make sure this is someone who not only you want to spend time with, but who wants to spend time with you. Several girls in my sorority have not-so-great stories about formals they went to with someone just because they asked, and they did not have a great time. You could try bringing it up in conversation if you're talking abou something related to your fraternity, like "Yeah, my fraternity has this formal coming up in April where we go to _______, would you like to come with me?" Hopefully she'll say yes, but in the case she doesn't, it will just be a casual thing and not awkward.