GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 720
3 members and 717 guests
LarryByday

Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State Alpha Epsilon PI Being Investigated: Alleged Hazing, etc.

AEPi at Penn State is reportedly being investigated for alleged hazing and alcohol-related violations.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10097/1048562-100.stm

Excerpts from story on a Pittsburgh paper's site:

Wednesday, April 07, 2010
By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A . . . fraternity at Penn State University is under investigation for allegations its members forced five freshmen to become dangerously drunk while pledging in February.

So far, only the five freshmen males who passed out drunk in their dorms in February have been charged, each with underage drinking.

Borough police in State College this week charged the fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi, with hazing, furnishing alcohol to minors, and unlawful acts involving alcohol.

"This is the first time in my 15 years here that we have charged [hazing]," State College police Lt. Keith Robb said.

. . . In this case, fraternity President Matthew Feinland and at least two of the once-drunk pledges have cooperated with the investigation, which began after the boys were found drunk and passed out in their dorm rooms Feb. 11.

During the pledge ceremony, the boys sat on chairs in a circle with a garbage can in the middle in case of vomiting.

Frat members plied the youths with different brands of spirits, including malt liquor, Southern Comfort and Jim Beam whiskeys, and various flavors of Mad Dog 20-20 wine.

The pledges then were ordered to chug the drinks while other fraternity members cheered them on and poured beer over them.

Lt. Robb said the investigation is continuing, and it could result in charges against individual members and officers of the fraternity.

. . . On campus, the fraternity will have to face a hearing with the university's interfraternity council. . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/[/I]

Last edited by exlurker; 04-07-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
AEPi at Penn State is reportedly being investigated for alleged hazing and alcohol-related violations.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10097/1048562-100.stm

Excerpts from story on a Pittsburgh paper's site:

Wednesday, April 07, 2010
By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A . . . fraternity at Penn State University is under investigation for allegations its members forced five freshmen to become dangerously drunk while pledging in February.

So far, only the five freshmen males who passed out drunk in their dorms in February have been charged, each with underage drinking.

Borough police in State College this week charged the fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi, with hazing, furnishing alcohol to minors, and unlawful acts involving alcohol.

"This is the first time in my 15 years here that we have charged [hazing]," State College police Lt. Keith Robb said.

. . . In this case, fraternity President Matthew Feinland and at least two of the once-drunk pledges have cooperated with the investigation, which began after the boys were found drunk and passed out in their dorm rooms Feb. 11.

During the pledge ceremony, the boys sat on chairs in a circle with a garbage can in the middle in case of vomiting.

Frat members plied the youths with different brands of spirits, including malt liquor, Southern Comfort and Jim Beam whiskeys, and various flavors of Mad Dog 20-20 wine.

The pledges then were ordered to chug the drinks while other fraternity members cheered them on and poured beer over them.

Lt. Robb said the investigation is continuing, and it could result in charges against individual members and officers of the fraternity.

. . . On campus, the fraternity will have to face a hearing with the university's interfraternity council. . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/[/I]
This is a rhetorical question (because I'm not asking anyone for specific ritual info), but do any "ceremonies" a.k.a. rituals (not traditions, but the rituals handed down through time) include drinking large amounts of alcohol?

I read all the time about drinking/hazing during "initiation ritual(s)" and it just irks me. These reporters don't get the story straight. I'm guessing in this case, it was private party after the pledge ceremony.

Any fraternity members care to shed any light on if this is a possibility, or that my theory is correct? I'm coming from an NPC standpoint.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy geez! The brothers of AEPi have always been sweethearts at Penn State. My question is why does it seem since I graduated from Penn State we have lost a substantial amount of Greek organizations? We lost one sorority and about 3 or more fraternities. What is going on there? This makes me sad!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
This is a rhetorical question (because I'm not asking anyone for specific ritual info), but do any "ceremonies" a.k.a. rituals (not traditions, but the rituals handed down through time) include drinking large amounts of alcohol?
I dated an AEPi for 3 years in college and they always came back from rituals sober. After parties were a whole other story though.

ETA: They were required to go to some Jewish services that involved drinking, and came back from those less than sober.

Last edited by BrandNewAdvisor; 04-07-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just wondering about an update on this, as I've heard AEPi is recolonizing there.

And no, our rituals don't involve drinking. Jewish custom however does, but usually small amounts of wine for religious purposes.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Purim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
I'm just wondering about an update on this, as I've heard AEPi is recolonizing there.

And no, our rituals don't involve drinking. Jewish custom however does, but usually small amounts of wine for religious purposes.
Except for Purim. (Note, my synagogue didn't do this...) From Wikipedia...

Festive drinking
On Purim day, a festive meal called the Se`udat Purim is held. The drinking of wine features prominently in keeping with the jovial nature of the feast. This is based on the fact that the salvation of the Jews occurred through wine and the Sages of the Talmud stated that one should drink on Purim until he can no longer distinguish between the phrases arur Haman ("Cursed is Haman") and baruch Mordechai ("Blessed is Mordecai"). Alcoholic consumption was later codified by the early authorities, and while some advocated total intoxication, others, consistent with the opinion of many early and later rabbis, taught that one should only should drink a little more than usual and then fall asleep, whereupon one will certainly not be able to tell the difference between arur Haman and baruch Mordecai. Other authorities, including the Magen Avraham, have written that one should drink until one is unable to calculate the numerical values of both phrases.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Except for Purim. (Note, my synagogue didn't do this...) From Wikipedia...

Festive drinking
On Purim day, a festive meal called the Se`udat Purim is held. The drinking of wine features prominently in keeping with the jovial nature of the feast. This is based on the fact that the salvation of the Jews occurred through wine and the Sages of the Talmud stated that one should drink on Purim until he can no longer distinguish between the phrases arur Haman ("Cursed is Haman") and baruch Mordechai ("Blessed is Mordecai"). Alcoholic consumption was later codified by the early authorities, and while some advocated total intoxication, others, consistent with the opinion of many early and later rabbis, taught that one should only should drink a little more than usual and then fall asleep, whereupon one will certainly not be able to tell the difference between arur Haman and baruch Mordecai. Other authorities, including the Magen Avraham, have written that one should drink until one is unable to calculate the numerical values of both phrases.
I've also heard that it is acceptable to drink until you can't tell your right hand from your left.