GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,576
0 members and 2,576 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Clearing the Air DZO/Beta Epsilon

Ok, so I am really getting annoyed at those on here who think they know the truth. Well, thanks to a friend I have been enlightened at what you all were given as the truth. 5% was actually the truth. So here we go, and if you still have questions fine ask. But I remind you all, that this issue that you have with MY sorority, MY chapter, and MY SISTERS needs to be kept here and not on other posts.

Beta Epsilon:
Yes when we started it was me and another girl from an NPC YES it was Sigma Kappa BUT the founding sisters did not want to rip off Sigma Kappa and we were told by the "higher ups" that what she was helping us do was not in any violation HOWEVER what we didn't know was what she was saying to the rest of the campus and how she was representing us. She was merely supposed to be an advisor and in fact she was representing herself as a sister. Even our campus advisor backed down in helping us when we asked for help in dealing with this situation. Finally we received help when someone brought to Sigma Kappa Headquarters what she was doing. We were finally able to break away and be ourselves. When we finally went through everything we were in shock at the damage that had been caused. BUT it is a two way street. The Greek community on our campus was very hateful at times (there are and still are some that encourage us), but for the most part our campus has never been one big happy family. So we decided that we wanted to get rid of the past that our campus for once forgave us BECAUSE we were honest and asked for help. Most of Panhellenic was very helpful in helping us build OUR OWN foundation that was to become very strong from Jan to June.

Any questions?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm kind of confused ... so you're saying that you and another of your chapter's founders were Sigma Kappas? And that the other Sigma Kappa misrepresented you and the other founders to the rest of your campus to imply that your new local sorority was a ripoff of Sigma Kappa because the two of you were Sigma Kappas?

I'm sorry; I've never heard the original rumor, maybe that would make your story make more sense, but I just can't figure out what you're saying.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I was paired up with this girl who transferred to our campus. Our greek life advisor thought she would be "Great" at advising us. I was not and will never be Sigma Kappa.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I'm kind of confused ... so you're saying that you and another of your chapter's founders were Sigma Kappas? And that the other Sigma Kappa misrepresented you and the other founders to the rest of your campus to imply that your new local sorority was a ripoff of Sigma Kappa because the two of you were Sigma Kappas?

I'm sorry; I've never heard the original rumor, maybe that would make your story make more sense, but I just can't figure out what you're saying.
Psst! Check out the DZO Sorority Life thread (the most recent posts, anyway). It's a good read.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority life has nothing to do with our chapter ~Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylyne View Post
Sorority life has nothing to do with our chapter ~Thanks
I never said it was.

Your chapter, however, was discussed on the last page of that thread.

That is all.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But I remind you all, that this issue that you have with MY sorority, MY chapter, and MY SISTERS needs to be kept here and not on other posts.

When you post on a PUBLIC message board, anyone (meaning myself and anyone else who pleases) can and WILL take any issue we might have anywhere we want. Mandating that we keep all issues with your group to one thread is not in your authority. Welcome to GreekChat.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes it was however it was again just an assumption about our chapter. We did not affiliate with DZO because of their attempts to go national. We affiliated with them because they are very wonderful and sweet sisters. As we became sisters, they proved to us more and more that it was a good match. The sisters we met have been so incredibly amazing, I would never, never take that back. Yes they have thought about going NPC, and if they do then all the best to them. Our chapter will carry on as we are, if that is the way its to be then so be it.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
When you post on a PUBLIC message board, anyone (meaning myself and anyone else who pleases) can and WILL take any issue we might have anywhere we want. Mandating that we keep all issues with your group to one thread is not in your authority. Welcome to GreekChat.
While there is that freedom, what good does it do to the origonal poster to clog their thread with useless and snide remarks? While we are here to chat and swap info on each other. Shouldn't we have enough respect to take our issues and deal with them elsewhere? I mean really, what does me being a member of DZO have anything to do with advice that I give? It is after all advice, you can take it or leave it.

And really do you have to be so rude? I admire the fact that you so willingly defend Greek Chat. So then you would understand my feelings in defending my chapter.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While there is that freedom, what good does it do to the origonal poster to clog their thread with useless and snide remarks? While we are here to chat and swap info on each other. Shouldn't we have enough respect to take our issues and deal with them elsewhere? I mean really, what does me being a member of DZO have anything to do with advice that I give? It is after all advice, you can take it or leave it.

And really do you have to be so rude? I admire the fact that you so willingly defend Greek Chat. So then you would understand my feelings in defending my chapter.

Umm, I am addressing something you said in a thread. What does you giving advice or being in DZO have to do with asking people to keep their issues confined to this thread? For that matter, I see no advice being given. I have only observed some statements that you have made regarding your group.

And, telling the truth is not being rude. You can't expect that people are going to do your bidding on a message board. If you don't like the way things are, you are free to leave.

I am not DEFENDING GC. GC has nothing to be defensive about. I don't understand your feelings because you have said nothing in this thread of any importance. You seem to be shifting all of the blame for whatever happened with your group to some SK.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Umm, I am addressing something you said in a thread. What does you giving advice or being in DZO have to do with asking people to keep their issues confined to this thread? For that matter, I see no advice being given. I have only observed some statements that you have made regarding your group.

And, telling the truth is not being rude. You can't expect that people are going to do your bidding on a message board. If you don't like the way things are, you are free to leave.

I am not DEFENDING GC. GC has nothing to be defensive about. I don't understand your feelings because you have said nothing in this thread of any importance. You seem to be shifting all of the blame for whatever happened with your group to some SK.
I am refering to the advice/comments that have been given in other local threads. It has somehow become an issue that I am a member of DZO. I personally see no reason to make snide comments about my sorority and clog a thread that has nothing to do with my greek affiliation. I thought the Local thread was a place for locals to get advice, and help each other out.

Am I wrong?

I am sorry you have a problem with me, I really have no issue with you.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am refering to the advice/comments that have been given in other local threads. It has somehow become an issue that I am a member of DZO. I personally see no reason to make snide comments about my sorority and clog a thread that has nothing to do with my greek affiliation. I thought the Local thread was a place for locals to get advice, and help each other out.

Am I wrong?

I am sorry you have a problem with me, I really have no issue with you.

My issue is that you started a thread asking people to confine their opinions to your thread. And, you are bringing in YOUR issues from other threads and wanting discussion on them without providing any information on what the hell you are talking about!

When your sorority paraded themselves around on MTV, they opened themselves and their sisters up to criticism. I could personally give two shits about DZO. But, there are plenty of people who still have a bad taste in their mouths over the way your sisters acted on television. Their actions have put all sorority women in the spotlight. And, this is not a positive. They have caused non-Greeks to wonder if all of the stereotypes about sorority women are true. So, perhaps you can understand why women that have worked hard to further the reputation of their groups and all of panhellenic might not greet you with milk and cookies.

The locals forum is not just for locals. There are plenty of people who aren't in a local that come here to read and comment on what has been said.

You may not have a issue with me. But, I have an issue with anyone who wants comments or thoughts on her group confined to one little corner of GC. That's not how it works.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to weigh in here as a member of a local sorority who knows some of what you've experienced. Being local, many people discount us right away and we have to work even harder and present an even better image for many people to think of us as being on the same level as national sororities. Unfortunately, many of your sisters did not keep that in mind when they appeared on Sorority Life. The only experience with DZO that the vast majority of GC has is due to that. Your sorority wasn't presented in the most favorable light, and that is what people are judging you on and are taking issue with. You seem to be upset that people are taking issue with your sorority. However, one thing you should know about GC is that you will never get everyone to see your point of view (unless, of course, your POV is that a certain poster is batshit, in which case most everyone will back you on it). If you are unprepared or unwilling to take criticisms, don't post in a public message board.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When your sorority paraded themselves around on MTV, they opened themselves and their sisters up to criticism.
Have you been reading any other threads? Obviously not, I am a member of the Beta Epsilon Chapter and it was not our chapter that was on TV and the DZO that we affiliated with was after MTV WAY AFTER. And many/most of the sisters had left.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
I'm going to weigh in here as a member of a local sorority who knows some of what you've experienced. Being local, many people discount us right away and we have to work even harder and present an even better image for many people to think of us as being on the same level as national sororities. Unfortunately, many of your sisters did not keep that in mind when they appeared on Sorority Life. The only experience with DZO that the vast majority of GC has is due to that. Your sorority wasn't presented in the most favorable light, and that is what people are judging you on and are taking issue with. You seem to be upset that people are taking issue with your sorority. However, one thing you should know about GC is that you will never get everyone to see your point of view (unless, of course, your POV is that a certain poster is batshit, in which case most everyone will back you on it). If you are unprepared or unwilling to take criticisms, don't post in a public message board.
Fine critisized the right chapter then, I have no problem with any issues that others may have. I just really hate it when people clog threads with the dont listen to that poster because "their opinion is baseless because the belong to xyz/abc" or "they cant spell so their opinions dont mean anything" and so on.