GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,605
0 members and 1,605 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2016, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Always good to have a day behind her! She'll be less nervous tomorrow, but remind her that the women in the sororities are nervous too! Keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Her feedback

Don't want to give too much away (don't want to reveal her identity)
She went to 8 houses.
She loved DD1 house- but feels she may not have done that well because it was the first.
She talked to so many girls all day and she felt they were all really nice.
She said conversations flowed with no awkward moments ( a real feat as she isn't the chatty type. Guess she is growing up. This whole recruitment thing is stressful but really does teach alot of valuable life lessons!
She spoke with sophomores, juniors and seniors and at some houses up to 4 girls.
She said they all seem alot alike and that the time went really fast. She had thought it would be hard to talk to a stranger for such a long time. (parties are only 25 minutes)
There were three houses she didn't think would be at the top of her list. But depending on how the houses today are, they could swing up into the 11.
She is going to 7 houses today. Then they pref 11 as a 1 score, then 2,3,4,5. She can get a total of 11 invitations.
She said many of the houses are absolutely beautiful.
Two of the houses (one she visited yesterday) is in construction so they met at a frat house. She didn't mention it so I think she may not realize it yet.
It is kind of weird how she was most attracted to the same houses that my DD1 liked as well. I have reminded her that her sister got dropped from some of those houses, so don't get set on just those. She said she could probably be happy in all the houses except one.
I think she has a great attitude. Thanks for letting me vent. It isn't nearly as stressful as it was two years ago when I knew absolutely 0 about greek recruitment.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Something to consider about the two chapters that are building new- this pledge class will have the opportunity to live in an amazing new home, so that awesome!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

AGDmommy I agree--next year's sophomores for those two chapters will be living in an amazing space!

kcmom it sounds like your daughter is having a great time. Fingers crossed for her that she gets invited back to some houses she really likes. If she thinks the conversations are going well, then at least some of the people she's talking to are bound to think so as well! You're wise to remind her about her sister's experience--deep cuts are the norm now at Mizzou and most girls don't go back to 11 houses. I also know of girls in the last few years who got invited back to 11 for second round, and then had most of the houses cut them for the following round. As long as she has at least one she likes every round, that's good! She only needs one to work We'll all be waiting to hear about her second round. Thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the new houses would be amazing, but she even commented on a couple of houses that were beautiful, but she didn't gel as well and a couple that she really liked and the house was just ok. So, I think she is looking at the right things, loving the girls and looking for a family.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes you're right kcmom. It really is all about the relationships, not the building. I just wouldn't want someone NOT to join a group where they were otherwise a good fit, just because they didn't have a house this year. It sounds like your daughter will make a choice for all the right reasons. Good luck to her in the morning!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I am out of the loop. Who is building a new house, and where? I know ChiO rebuilt and Tri-Delt as extensively remodeled. This will be the third? year for Tri-Sigma in their built-for-them house.

There is a former frat house on Richmond that I so wish AGD could move into (if we were invited back).
Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

It would be great if AGD could come back--Mizzou could use another sorority chapter! Zeta and DG are both rebuilding their houses this year. What are they using that former Frat House for (are you talking about Richmond Place?) I always wonder what it is when I drive by. Is it just regular housing?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

DG is building an amazing house on the site of the old house. They are all living together in Brookside, so it's really nice for them to stay together. The chapter is using DU for recruitment as its the same builder who is doing the new house.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

That's great that the DGs worked out a deal to all stay together in Brookside.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
I am out of the loop. Who is building a new house, and where? I know ChiO rebuilt and Tri-Delt as extensively remodeled. This will be the third? year for Tri-Sigma in their built-for-them house.

There is a former frat house on Richmond that I so wish AGD could move into (if we were invited back).
Kappa Alpha Theta is completing a capital campaign and will be doing an enormous renovation (not cosmetic) that will increase bed space, rework living spaces and also reallocate space including the house mothers room. From '06-09 the Chapter received extensive mechanical improvements and renovation. I was on the facility board during that process and am excited to see the upcoming changes as well.

The Kappa Alpha Psi former chapter house (it was the Alpha Chapter) on Richmond has been before the City Council for high density student housing (apartments). I haven't seen much else on that front but the City had suspended some of its permitting processes pending ordinance review and other City matters. (All this information subject to check; I haven't looked at it for awhile).

Neither the City or the University seems inclined to preserve the old homes; Columbia, MO is very strongly in favor of large student housing development projects constructed by private developers. The new Council has not show any departure from this approach.

I hope all PNMs focus on the women and not the buildings. It's the people that are your sisters for a lifetime. The tear down and rebuild of homes recently says a lot about the strength of sorority and friendship and how a building is a home because of the people you share it with not the other way around.
Go Tigers! IlliniKAT
Old 08-17-2016, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Second round invites

DD2 got 8 out of 11 possible invites. She is perfectly fine with that as her two top picks are still on the list. She did get dropped by two that she really thought she would be happy with. Her sister has told her that the houses can identify who fits in better than you can. Only one that she didn't rank top 11 showed up on her schedule. A few of the houses she thought might work out aren't on her list. However when talking last night one house emphasized that all girls are involved in more activities/ groups on campus than just the sorority, and she isn't enthusiastic about that. She is focused on grades and making sure her activities don't detract. So we concluded that it wouldn't be a great fit, but she really liked the girls so she still ranked it as a 1. My girls claim to be very different, but they really are more similar than they think. The same houses that DD1 couldn't understand dropping her also dropped DD2. In some part that may be because she doesn't fit, but also they are also houses that know DD1 and the legacy thing may be playing a role. We shall see how the next two days go. One great thing about this recruitment is the opportunity to discuss how things went. She's usually not that talkative but kept me on the phone for 1 1/2 hours last night. I am really impressed by her insight and her maturity in this process. A completely different vibe than DD1 who was hit harder by the disappointment. ( DD1 usually had gotten everything she wanted in HS and was a very social popular girl in HS. DD2 is more of the reserved, few friends and less confident.)
Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmom View Post
DD2 got 8 out of 11 possible invites. She is perfectly fine with that as her two top picks are still on the list. She did get dropped by two that she really thought she would be happy with. Her sister has told her that the houses can identify who fits in better than you can. Only one that she didn't rank top 11 showed up on her schedule. A few of the houses she thought might work out aren't on her list. However when talking last night one house emphasized that all girls are involved in more activities/ groups on campus than just the sorority, and she isn't enthusiastic about that. She is focused on grades and making sure her activities don't detract. So we concluded that it wouldn't be a great fit, but she really liked the girls so she still ranked it as a 1. My girls claim to be very different, but they really are more similar than they think. The same houses that DD1 couldn't understand dropping her also dropped DD2. In some part that may be because she doesn't fit, but also they are also houses that know DD1 and the legacy thing may be playing a role. We shall see how the next two days go. One great thing about this recruitment is the opportunity to discuss how things went. She's usually not that talkative but kept me on the phone for 1 1/2 hours last night. I am really impressed by her insight and her maturity in this process. A completely different vibe than DD1 who was hit harder by the disappointment. ( DD1 usually had gotten everything she wanted in HS and was a very social popular girl in HS. DD2 is more of the reserved, few friends and less confident.)
Wonderful news all around kcmom! Very glad both for her good results and also for her philosophical approach. Sounds like she learned from her sister's experience and is taking it all in stride. Good for her (and for you, that she talked to you for 90 minutes last night! That must have felt great). Good luck to DD2 in philanthropy round! Thank you for the update.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKAT View Post
Kappa Alpha Theta is completing a capital campaign and will be doing an enormous renovation (not cosmetic) that will increase bed space, rework living spaces and also reallocate space including the house mothers room. From '06-09 the Chapter received extensive mechanical improvements and renovation. I was on the facility board during that process and am excited to see the upcoming changes as well.

The Kappa Alpha Psi former chapter house (it was the Alpha Chapter) on Richmond has been before the City Council for high density student housing (apartments). I haven't seen much else on that front but the City had suspended some of its permitting processes pending ordinance review and other City matters. (All this information subject to check; I haven't looked at it for awhile).

Neither the City or the University seems inclined to preserve the old homes; Columbia, MO is very strongly in favor of large student housing development projects constructed by private developers. The new Council has not show any departure from this approach.

I hope all PNMs focus on the women and not the buildings. It's the people that are your sisters for a lifetime. The tear down and rebuild of homes recently says a lot about the strength of sorority and friendship and how a building is a home because of the people you share it with not the other way around.
Go Tigers! IlliniKAT
Thanks for the info on Richmond Place. I was curious about that. It's really too bad that the city isn't interested in preserving these beautiful old homes.

I completely agree with you that while renovations are fun and exciting, sisterhood is the top priority. We are lucky to have such a strong Greek system at Mizzou, rooted in deep friendships that often last for a lifetime.

I have read about the Theta renovations and I think they are going to be wonderful. The new patio and the dining room they've already completed look fantastic. Glad the girls can continue living in and using the house during the renovations. Thank you for your work on the Facility Board!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there is truth in that the chapters know better who will fit in. My daughter, in hindsight, sees that 2 of her day 1 favorites, would not have been a good long term fit for her. She loves her chapter and I don't think can imagine herself elsewhere now.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system. Nothing ever could be. And it's hard when girls are disappointed. But life is full of disappointments....along with high moments and successes.

Can't wait to hear how the rest of the week goes. I know my daughter already found a "rush crush" on the first day ;-)