GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,358
1 members and 1,357 guests
Sarak24034

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Moving to Hawaii...Yes Really

Hey GreekChat people--I am moving to Hawaii (I'll keep which island private) this month for my job (not military). If any of you live/have lived in Hawaii, I'd love any tips you could give about life in the islands, meeting people, seriously any topic. I'd be so grateful!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Congrats!! I visited the small island in December and the weather was divine. I can't offer much else, though.

CONGRATS AGAIN!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
Hey GreekChat people--I am moving to Hawaii (I'll keep which island private) this month for my job (not military). If any of you live/have lived in Hawaii, I'd love any tips you could give about life in the islands, meeting people, seriously any topic. I'd be so grateful!
Jealous! I LOVE Hawaii. I've been there numerous times over the past few years, my parents have visited a handful of times, my significant other lived there for 3+ years, and my brother was stationed there with the Army for 2+ years. In all of these cases, O'ahu is the main island all of us traveled to/lived on. The islands are beautiful and there's a lot to see there. However, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) "Island Time" is a real thing, and sometimes, it downright sucks. When someone tells you they'll be somewhere at 6pm, they might not show up until 8:30. It can be extremely frustrating, but you'll need to adjust, and once you do, it's not so bad. Just try not to get to worked up about it.

2) The native Hawaiians are VERY proud about their land and culture. In some cases, they view outsiders as "invaders" who are taking over their space. "Haole" (generally pronounced "how-lee", as far as I understand) is a pejorative term used to refer to people of white ancestry, and more recently/specifically, to any people who are not of native Hawaiian decent. Don't be surprised if you hear this word on a semi-regular basis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haole Oh, and some people there speak Pidgin. No, I'm not making that word up. It's hard to explain; you just have to hear it.

3) If you're expecting to see a lot of amazing wildlife, you've gone to the wrong place. If you're looking to find feral cats, wild boars, and chickens, on the other hand, you're exactly where you're meant to be.

4) There are many "conveniences" on the mainland that you won't find in Hawaii. Take food, for example; a lot of major fast food chains and restaurants haven't made it to the islands. If you're craving Chipotle, you'll have to wait for your next trip back home. However, if you want a Loco Moco, you'll have no problem finding the dish anywhere on the islands! (btw, Hawaiians love their Spam. You can even get it at McDonald's)

5) Tip: Don't go to the Dole pineapple plantation. It's disappointing. Driving by is awesome, but basically, it's an over-hyped gift shop.

But there are also so many things to love there:

1) Hiking! If you love hiking (and even if you don't), there are so many amazing hikes in Hawaii - from extremely easy to extremely difficult - most with unbelievable views. If you need any tips on where to go, let me know. I can definitely point you in the right direction.

2) Shrimp trucks. Mmmmmm… the thought of them is making my mouth water. On the north shore of O'ahu, there are multiple shrimp trucks, Giovanni's being the most popular (and my favorite). They pull the shrimp fresh from the water and serve it out of vehicles that look like ice cream trucks. Amazing.

3) Surfing/stand up paddling/snorkling. Get out in the water. Do things that you can't do where you're at now.

4) Go to non-touristy places. If nothing else, it will be a lot less expensive. For example, Waikiki Beach is a great place to visit, but you'll find out quickly that it's not where you want to spend all of your time, especially if you live on the islands. Venture out!

5) My one recommendation for one of the coolest places to go: visit the Artis family. They have a crazy little house on the north shore of O'ahu, and if you walk in at pretty much any time of the day, the entire family will play music for you. It's hard to describe; you just have to go! http://www.yelp.com/biz/ron-artis-family-haleiwa-2

I may think of more things tomorrow, but this should get you started! Have fun!

ETA: I hope you like the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (specifically the version by Israel Kamakawiwo'le) because you're going to hear it a whooooole lot.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-12-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow!!! What a change and opportunity! I wish you the best of luck for a smooth move and transition. My best friend from college's sister (originally from CT) moved there with her then-boyfriend (since have married) and they love it. They say that it really is like living in paradise, because things are more laid back in general. Good luck and I hope to see some pictures - I've never been there.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

This is all kind of second-hand through my SO, but here are my additions:

-There don't seem to be any banks in Hawaii that are also on the mainland. You'll need to open up a new bank account locally.

-I believe there's some kind of locals discount referred to as the "Kamaʻaina rate," which basically functions as a tourist tax. Once you get your Hawaii drivers license I think you'll be eligible for a lot of discounts at restaurants, tourist attractions and hotels.

-At least as of 10 years ago, the property crime rate was pretty high. Almost everyone my husband knew had their car broken into at some point while living there.

-There are some parts of the islands that you just shouldn't go to as a non-native. I don't know any specifics, but this is something I've heard several times.

Despite some of the negatives, everyone I know who's lived there, LOVED it. Good luck with the move!!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Sigmagirl,

Realize this is an older thread but I just joined Greek Chat and when I searched "Hawaii" it came up. Please feel free to pm me if I can help or give you some feedback on life in the islands.

Aloha123