GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,442
1 members and 2,441 guests
navane

Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FAB*SpiceySpice
Boston accents and Australian accents make me weak in the knees.
Then you need to come help me work on my newest account. They all have MAJOR Boston accents and call me on the phone all the time.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I loooooove European men. One of my exes is from Northern Ireland. He has a really thick Irish accent. The first time I met him and heard that accent, I was like "I have to have him!!!" The only problem was when he was drunk, he would slur his words, and I couldn't understand him at all.

I am such a sucker for accents. I also love British, Scottish, Italian, French, and Russian accents. Mmmmm....

PSimissU
Old 10-26-2005, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah baby! Accents rock my world.!

-Bobby

*does the stick that shampoo bottle up my ass at a medium pace...dance*
Old 10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
yeah baby! Accents rock my world.!

-Bobby

*does the stick that shampoo bottle up my ass at a medium pace...dance*
I like accents too.

-Rudey
--Does the fuck me gently with a chainsaw dance.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
a cute southern accent on a girl is cute but only a minor one, not to the point where its just trashy... No other accents
Old 11-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

This will come as no surprise, but I like the "soft" southern accent - not the redneck one, but the polite one. If you're watching the Jeopardy College championship right now, the guy from Alabama is a perfect example.

The other accent that I really love is the Scottish ones! I've missed more hours of sleep, staying up to get a Craig Ferguson fix... Seriously, I was fortunate enough to have made friends with a few Scottish families, and while it's a rough accent, it's sexy as can be! The English & Irish ones follow closely behind.

I have a guy friend from Queens, and when we're in the same city, we go out. A few years ago, we both were in NYC at the same time, and he took me to le Cirque, and since he had been studying French, he insisted on ordering. Close your eyes and try to picture a thick Queens accent speaking French - the waiter was in pain!! Yet, he is one of the world's most wonderful men, has met some terribly exciting people, and has led a fascinating life - he could talk with any accent, and hold me spellbound!

Last edited by honeychile; 11-24-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an interesting article on the disappearing southern accent.

By JEFFREY COLLINS and KRISTEN WYATT, Associated Press Writers

COLUMBIA, S.C. - "Y'all" isn't welcome in Erica Tobolski's class in voice and diction at the University of South Carolina. And forget about "fixin'," as in getting ready to do something, or "pin" when talking about the writing instrument.

Tobolski's class is all about getting rid of accents, mostly Southern ones in the heart of the former Confederacy, and replacing them with Standard American Dialect, the uninflected tone of TV news anchors that oozes authority and refinement.

"We sort of avoid talking about class in this country, but clearly class is indicated by how we speak," she said.

"Many come to see me because they want to sound less country," she said. "They say, 'I don't want to lose my accent completely, but I want to be able to minimize it or modify it.'"

That was the case for sophomore Ali Huffstetler, who said she "luuuvs" the slow-paced softness of her upstate South Carolina magnolia mouth but wants to be able to turn it on and off depending on her audience.

"I went to New Hampshire to visit one of my best friends and all they kept saying was, 'Will you please talk, can you just talk for me?'" Huffstetler said. "I felt like a little puppet show."

Across the fast-growing South, accents are under assault, and not just from the modern-day Henry Higginses of academia. There's the flood of transplants from other regions, notions of Southern upward mobility that require dropping the drawl, and stereotypes that "y'alls" and "suhs" signal low status or lack of intelligence.

But is the Southern accent really disappearing?

That depends what accent you mean. The South, because of its rural, isolated past, boasts a diversity of dialects, from Appalachian twangs in several states to Elizabethan lilts in Virginia to Cajun accents in Louisiana to African-influenced Gullah accents on the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina.

One accent that has been all but wiped out is the slow juleps-in-the-moonlight drawl favored by Hollywood portrayals of the South. To find that so-called plantation accent in most parts of the region nowadays requires a trip to the video store.

"The Rhett-and-Scarlett accent, that is disappearing, no doubt about it," said Bill Kretzschmar, a linguist at the University of Georgia and editor of the American Linguistic Atlas, which tracks speech patterns.

"Blame it on the boll weevil," he said, referring to the cotton pest. "That accent from plantation areas, which was never the whole South, has been in decline for a long time. The economic basis of that culture started going away at the turn of the last century," when the bugs nearly wiped out the South's cotton economy.

Even as the stereotypical Southern accent gets rarer, other speech patterns take its place, and they're not any less Southern. The Upland South accent, a faster-paced dialect native to the Appalachian mountains, is said to be spreading just as fast as the plantation drawl disappears.

"The one constant about language is, it's always changing," Kretzschmar said. "The Southern accent is not going anywhere. But you have all kinds of mixtures and changes."

For a long-term study on whether the Southern accent is disappearing, University of Georgia linguists went to Roswell, Ga., an Atlanta suburb that is just the kind of transient place that leads to the death of indigenous dialects. It's packed with strip malls and subdivisions with no cotton patches or peach trees in sight.

"I don't hear it," 21-year-old Roswell native Amanda Locher said of the accent. She's never lived outside the South, but even Northern newcomers question her Southernness. "People tell me I sound like I'm from up North. To hear a true Southern accent, you'd have to go deeper south than here."

Adam Mach, a 25-year-old tire shop worker who moved to the Atlanta suburbs from Lafayette, La., has got a noticeable Louisiana lilt. But he said his accent seldom makes conversation because the area is such a melting pot of newcomers.

"Everybody I meet's not from here," he shrugged.

North Carolina State University linguist Walt Wolfram said it's a misconception among Southerners that Yankee newcomers are stamping out traditional speech. More likely, he said, is that newcomers pick up local speech patterns.

"When people move here and don't think they've changed at all, they go home and people say, 'Wow. You've turned Southern.' They pick up enough to be identified as Southern. So it's still there, still strongly identified with the South," Wolfram said.

But that doesn't mean that population change in the South isn't chipping away at old-timey dialects, especially in cities. Wolfram said the "dearest feature" of the Southern accent — the vowel shift where one-syllable words like "air" come out in two syllables, "ay-ah" — is certainly vanishing. Other aspects — such as double-modal constructions like "might could" — are still pervasive.

Kretzschmar, who has recorded Roswell speakers for three years, said his suburban Atlanta studies have backed up his suspicion that the Southern accent is morphing along with the urbanizing South.

"It's not really disappearing, but the circumstances of living make it different," he said. "People don't have connections with their neighbors to maintain their way of speech.

"The circumstances of how people get together and talk in the cities have changed; they're not constantly talking to people who talk just like them. But in the South outside the cities, you have a lot of similarities."

Georgia-bred humorist Roy Blount Jr. understands that people with strong Southern accents are often perceived as "slow and dimwitted." But he thinks it's "sort of a shame" that people should feel the need to soften or even lose their accents.

"My father, who was a surely intelligent man, would say `cain't'. He wouldn't say `can't.' And, `There ain't no way, just there ain't no way.' You don't want to say, `There isn't any way.' That just spoils the whole thing," Blount said.

"I just think that there's a certain eloquence in Southern vernacular that I wouldn't want to lose touch with ... you ought to sound like where you come from."

But never fear. There are still plenty of professions that thrive on a good Southern twang — from preachers to football coaches to a certain breed of courtroom litigators.

And South Carolina's Tobolski, an Indiana native who came south eight years ago, can help there, too. As a private coach she has even taught a politician she wouldn't name how to ratchet up his Southern accent to make him appear more folksy before certain crowds — a technique she calls "code switching."

"He didn't want to lose his dialect entirely. He just wanted to be able to adapt."

"I don't think that any regional accent is going to be eliminated," she said. "There's still people who want to hang on to how they sound. That's who they are. That's their identity. And that goes from New Jersey to Minnesota to Wyoming to Georgia."
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
"Code switching".. that's exactly what I do. When I moved up here, people seemed disappointed that when I spoke magnolias didn't fall from my lips. I worked on toning down my Southern accent, but when I'm talking to family or good friends from back home, I switch back to it.

But back to sexy accents, Scottish brogues (like Ewan McGregor's) leave me weak. I also like hearing people from Ghana speak English. It's very musical. With respect to North American accents, I still like to hear that Southern gentleman's drawl (which is one of the main reason Matthew McConaughey is so hot). I also like the way folks in Eastern Canada talk -- especially Ottawa and Toronto.

Last edited by Sistermadly; 11-24-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
I also like the way folks in Eastern Canada talk -- especially Ottawa and Toronto.
Except we don't consider ourselves "easterners."

Also, do you mean the "uptalk" accent that many Torontonians (guys and girls!) speak with?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
If you're east of Saskatchewan, you're an "Easterner" in my book.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes.......

Southern and British/Aussie.

But then, my current crush has a Spanish one and that's not too bad either....
Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
i LOVE accents.

My fiance has a bit of a southern accent - not too heavy.. but just enough - its WAY cute.

I have a heavy Boston accent - I get tons of comments on my accent being in the "south" (Maryland)

I have a co-worker from England - *drool* I just love listening to him speak.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

accents

Chicks with British accents...definately...European and Australian women make better wives and girlfriends in my opinion...but I won't open up a can of worms in here. Cheers!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Not as sexy or not sexy, but I just LOVE Jamaican accents!! All of my friends know when I've watched Cool Runnings, because I end up talking like that for about a week afterwards! mon!