GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,472
2 members and 1,470 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-21-2001, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Military

I'm looking for a little advice...
My ex-bf is in the Navy and has been for the past 3 years. I recently (a few weeks ago) flew out to see him where he is stationed for the 1st time since he left, and we had a great time together We have kept in touch at least once a week through the entire time he has been enlisted, so we are still very close to each other. Here's the deal...we aren't officially back together, mostly b/c he still has 9 more months left He leaves soon for a 6 month deployment...any advice/ideas of special/creative things to send, etc. to let him know that I'm still here for him. I've seen on some posts that OhTeenieWahine has a bf that's gone a lot (any advice ? ) Anyone have any experience with someone or yourself in a branch of the military? thanks so much everyone!

[This message has been edited by StaC (edited May 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by StaC (edited May 21, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2001, 08:02 PM
Unregistered-

I think I can help out with this one!

Before my BF goes out on patrol I usually make him a CD with his favorite songs or songs that are very special to us. In addition to that I make cute (but not TOO cute...after all, they are military!) calendar with special events...birthdays, anniversaries, first day of school, etc. In the last month of that calendar I also add a "countdown" of how many days are left until he comes home and he usually crosses the days off as they go bye. It's better to include the days that are left on the last leg of the deployment because if you start at the beginning it gets kinda depressing.

Do you know any of the wives and girlfriends of the men on board? Your post said that he's stationed somewhere far from your home, but try and get in touch with the ombudsman (usually a wife) because she'll know exact dates of their ports of call so you can know when to expect a phone call.

When Brady and I first started dating we kept journals. Usually they had a mail drop twice during their patrol (it's only for two months) so he'd send it then. I usually had a clue on when they'd be in port somewhere so I'd send mine maybe a week and a half before they got there so he'd get it in time. Those journals are great because you can't really get those mushy gushy feelings out on their email since they're read by the TCs.

Email was and is still my best friend, and I'm hoping that the email on his ship is better than the ones in the Coast Guard! I tried to send him at least one email a day or two or three on a very good day. The guys love it when they get something from home!

Of the year and a half that Brady and I have been together, he's probably been gone 6-7 months of that time. It's very hard, and I don't know how anyone can get "used to it". Oftentimes it gets scary because you worry about your BF getting drunk in some weird bar in a foreign country. He's missed out on so many semi-formals and formals, but this is the life and career that he's chosen for now (he'll decide to get out or re-enlist in 2003) and so I reluctantly choose to take a back seat to the military.

While he's gone I drown myself in school, work, and the sorority. Once a week I go to Pearl Harbor with some of my sisters and we take kickboxing classes there. It's so great to have an instructor who's so into your face about letting it all out. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my sorority sisters. It helps that one of them is married to someone on Brady's boat!

I don't know how it's like to have him gone for 6 months, and I have to say that I admire you and the thousands of military wives and girlfriends that go through this all the time. I hope that this post has helped you somewhat...but if you ever need to vent or chat feel free to email me!

------------------
"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame."--Dante

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 05-22-2001, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

My SO is Coast Guard too. Here 3 months, gone 3 months.
I can't say that I've ever sent mail... just email. A couple of times I have flown to where they got shore leave for a quick visit (its fun to party with them). For the most part I occupy my time with work, working out, and friends.
OohTeenyWahine may agree with me when I say that the time goes faster than you think...
Old 05-22-2001, 09:20 PM
Unregistered-

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by dc1:
OohTeenyWahine may agree with me when I say that the time goes faster than you think...
You are definitely right dc1! The BF is here 2 months and gone 2 months. This summer we're somewhat lucky because the ship is in drydock and they're guaranteed here till at least September.

I always thought that the most difficult time is the time between their departure to the time when the email's functioning properly. Getting that first email underway is always a great feeling.

It's true that sometimes it's hard to write snail mail to those underway (especially since the CG is gone for 2-3 months at the most). Since StaC's SO is gone for 6 she probably has a bigger window of opportunity. dc1, if you don't mind--may I ask where your SO is stationed at and on what kind of ship?

------------------
"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame."--Dante

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 05-23-2001, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
dc1, if you don't mind--may I ask where your SO is stationed at and on what kind of ship?

San Diego. One of their Cutter(WHEC) ships.
Old 05-24-2001, 01:51 PM
Unregistered-

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by dc1:

San Diego. One of their Cutter(WHEC) ships.

LOL, my BF is also stationed on a 378. He's absolutely dying to be stationed in San Diego!
Old 05-24-2001, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The base is pretty.. the town is ok.
We share an "apartment" in La Jolla on weekends and I'm here in AZ during the week for school and work. Too much traveling, though.

Where is your BF stationed?
Old 05-24-2001, 04:25 PM
Unregistered-

Cool

He's stationed at Sand Island in Honolulu. The base is okay...but it's in a not pretty industrial area. He's finally getting a house in CG housing to share with 2 other guys off his ship. CG housing is in Red Hill, about a 5-10 minute drive from the base. The housing itself is pretty as it overlooks Pearl Harbor and the rest of Honolulu.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

StaC,
I was wonding how things were going... I hope time is flying by.. Is email working ok for you?

(ya'll this is sad, I thought about this topic last night while out to eat... "I wonder how StaC is doing while her BF is out?"... I'm addicted.)

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me
Old 07-02-2001, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I just want to say that I really admire you girls who are not with your significant other. My fiance' and I are away from each other three months out of the year, and when I say away from each other I mean, that he lives at his house with his parents and I live at my house with mine. We still visit quiet frequently, he only lives like 30 minutes away, but I still have the hardest time dealing with not being able to wake up beside of him in the mornings. I just want to say to you ladies who deal with not seeing your men or even talking to them for long periods of time, that you must be really strong!!! I know it would be so hard for me to go without at least talking to my fiance' almost every night. You girls must really be amazing!!! And, just think, when they come home, it will be wonderful to have them there and there will be no doubt that you will not take them for granted. I know that is something I do quiet often. Anyway, you women keep up the good job and continue to be strong, for your men will come home soon!!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for thinkin of me! He hasn't left yet, but we don't live in the same state, so I don't see him anyway. But, now at least we can still talk on the phone and online He leaves on the 23rd of this month on the ship and will get back in January. Since we aren't together when he isn't on a deployment somewhere, I guess that makes it a little easier, b/c nothing really changes.....except that I can't just call him up whenever!
It's so nice to have everyone thinkin of me