GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,163
4 members and 2,159 guests
John

Old 02-12-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
The Military

just kinda wanting to know if anyone on here has been in or knows anyone who has been in the military. i am 2.5 seconds away from signing with the army nat'l guard (yay, weekend warrior!), so i am just curious as to if anyone can tell me anything other than, "it's gonna kick your ass!"...i mean, i know this, ppl. it's o-k. being greek, i don't know a whole lot of army people (but there are some sig eps here that are), so it's hard to really know the story.

thanks!
monica

My Facebook
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
My dad was army reserve for many years. It wasn't that bad a thing to do from what I got to see of it. The only hard part is getting thru basic training. All I can suggest is stay in shape after basic.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my very close TKE friends is in the nat'l guard. He got called up because of Sept 11. Now he is in Egypt until July. He said it was not really that bad while he was in school, one weekend a month. But now he is missing a year of his life and will be behind in school. My point is don't just do it for the money because you really never know when you'll be called up.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
I'm doing the ROTC thing....

I had to pass a medical, physical, and scholastic tests, but it is well worth it. Tuition is paid, books are paid for, I get to go to all kinds of seminars (like in a few weeks I'm going to get certified for hand to hand combat) all over the country, and I get a stipend every month.

Because I'm training to be an officer, I won't be sent away until I'm out of school and get a commission. I've decided to go a little furture and try to join the JAG corp, which is an additional two years of law school and a few more years tacted onto my obligation after college.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in the AF many moons ago.

Hint #1, do you like wearing the same thing for 4 years...that can't include your AGD badge, etc., if you are on-duty. I haven't checked their ads lately, but the hat and shoes were horrendous.

Hinit #2, do you like working for bozos? okay, that can happen everywhere...

Hint #3, will you have a Weekend Warrior job that you can actually get paid on the outside? As in, how many tank drivers ar needed?

Hint #4, do you like the idea of having to commit certain weekends and summer camps etc., when your family and friends want you to do something else?

Hint #5, are you going in mainly for the benefits?

Best of luck to you!!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My brother is in the Army and stationed at Ft. Campbell in Kentucky. He married while he was in the army and seems to love all the partying and cheap prices at the PX, but you never know where you will be reassigned to and every base is not the same. He is in Afganistan now. I just hope he returns home safely.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Military life? What to say!
Well I am currently 3 years into a 4 yr commitment in the Army and the cliches that you get out of it what you put in definately ring true. First off you have to be very careful what MOS you enlist for... Many of them, mine included have no bearing in the civilian world and will do you no good when you get out. You mentioned Nat Guard. Be careful with that, I am currently at Ft Lewis and most of our GATE GUARDS right now are Nat Guard who got activated. Many of whom are making a lot less than they were in their civilian jobs. I do have to say though that I love my job and I love my country. There are not many people who can say that they are truely defending their rights each day and I am glad that I am one of them. I too got married in the Army and that is hard. My Hubby is also Army and so we don't get a lot of free time together but we both made that sacrifice so we are dealing with it. The education bnefits are awesome though (75% Tuition paid for and I get to go to class during work hours) and health insurance is definately a benefit (FREE)
Everyone will tell you that basic is so hard, IT ISN'T. I loved basic and would go back in a heart beat if I could. I made many new friends, got paid to stay in shape and got to do all kinds of cool things. (rappelling, firing many diff. weapons, and my company got to go see a free show by the Army Band).
Anyway, good luck to you if you decide to enlist. Have fun and above all be safe
Cat
Old 02-12-2002, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopper816
one of the guys from my chapter just went off to the air force...
Old 02-13-2002, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend who joined the army Nat'l Guard and is doing basic right now (he should be done soon, yeah!) and then it's off the training. The good thing is that when he comes to college, almost everything will be paid for, but that doesn't mean he won't be called up. If you are fine with leaving people behind when they want you to go, then go for it, but you never know when that will be.

Kitty_Kat-
Yeah for a west side Washingtonian! I'm from Olypmia, right down the road from you. I feel so sorry for the Gate Guards at Ft. Lewis, and I know the lines are horrible to get in! I used to go to the PX with my fiance's mom (his dad was Army) they looked so bored out there all day!!