GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,035
0 members and 1,035 guests
No Members online

Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment goodies

I'm a Chi O- Iota alum from UT in Austin and my niece is rushing at Texas State and wants to be a Chi O. I wanted to take some goodies by the house, but wasn't sure if it would be better to do a sandwich platter or tray of cookies, or some sort of candy or item that is related (such as, "Pledge Haileigh because she is so sweet!" or "Haileigh, a true sweetheart" taped onto individual sweet-tart packages or "Haileigh, she is such a gem" taped to those ring/jewel pops.)

thanks for any and all advice! I graduated in 2002 and I feel so out of touch and don't want to do something that would embarrass her!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

To all of you out there that don't understand what we deal with in Texas on a day to day basis!

WELCOME!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

However, I think this is a joke. Please tell me it is.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM

I used to hear about this from my southern-school alumna peeps. If I hadn't heard about it from someone I knew, I wouldn't have believed it myself. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 PM

I personally would appreciate home baked cookies or sandwiches with the crusts cut off a lot more than Sweet Tarts or those gross ring pops. That's kind of chintzy.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are planning on having something delivered, you don't know when it will show up and when meal/break time is planned. Go with cookies. Always yummy and no worries if they sit around for a while before being put out. Sandwiches can get stale or soggy if they aren't eaten immediately or refrigerated.

The big question I have whenever I hear of these sorts of gifts (and yes they do happen) is how will the alumna react if their girl is released?

Last edited by Zillini; 01-28-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Ummm am I the only one who thinks she shouldn't send something with her niece's name on it?? Maybe other people just think this is a joke.

You can write a recommendation for her and send food to the house, if you want, but I don't think you should send any food with her name on it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post

The big question I have whenever I hear of these sorts of gifts (and yes they do happen) is how will the alumna react if their girl is released?
I wonder that myself. Like, do people really think that their legacy should get a bid because they sent a cake with her face on it?

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

FYI: This is pretty mild for Texas.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
FYI: This is pretty mild for Texas.

Seriously? I'd be so embarrassed if my eager relative sent a tray of food in my honor, I can't imagine worse.

Please share!

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 AM

I've heard stories of relatives sending posters with girls' senior photos on them, cardboard cut-outs of said senior photo, cake, assorted baked goods, etc.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

No QFP? I'm disappointed in you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansarah View Post
I'm a Chi O- Iota alum from UT in Austin and my niece is rushing at Texas State and wants to be a Chi O. I wanted to take some goodies by the house, but wasn't sure if it would be better to do a sandwich platter or tray of cookies, or some sort of candy or item that is related (such as, "Pledge Haileigh because she is so sweet!" or "Haileigh, a true sweetheart" taped onto individual sweet-tart packages or "Haileigh, she is such a gem" taped to those ring/jewel pops.)

thanks for any and all advice! I graduated in 2002 and I feel so out of touch and don't want to do something that would embarrass her!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Cake with girl's photo screened on it in icing, pizzas with photos on the box, big tins of popcorn with girl's photo on lid and sides...mind you, I'm not from Texas. Just recounting what I've heard.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep, I have seen all of this except the pizza. We once received a popcorn tin (those huge ones that you see at Christmas) and a sister innocently opened it only to find some rushee's/PNM's face staring right back at her, causing her to let out a scream! Sadly, the PNMs were the innocent ones who became household jokes due to some of the more outrageous "gifts."

It is not just individuals who do this. In my day the alumnae associations (especially Houston and Dallas) were doing this too.

To the OP- I echo what was said earlier. If you really, really, really feel that this is the right thing to do, then go with cookies. Don't do anything that would mortify/embarass your neice. Be prepared for the possibility
that your neice may be released/

Finally, ensure that you are not putting additional pressure on the neice by hoping/expecting that she will pledge your organization. Recruitment is hard enough. Please let her know in no uncertain terms that she can map her own course. This will be especially comforting if she happens to be released from your group.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow

Not a joke, thanks for the snark, this was the norm when I went through. I also think it's silly, that's why I was asking another opinion.

Also, FWIT, I haven't pressured her to go Chi O, she came to me saying that she wants to rush and that Chi O is her first pick. If she wasn't so excited, I wouldn't push it.