GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,806
0 members and 1,806 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimuteach View Post
UPDATE!

I got a job teaching third grade. They start next week though (yeah, I'm going to be really stressed out preparing)!

I know how you feel! I got a job teaching Kindergarten this fall so in the process of getting ready for that, I am also getting married next Friday, moving into my fiancee's house, and working my other job. Plus the teacher I'm working with got married 2 weeks ago and has been on her honeymoon so we haven't had much time to get together and get ready. Open house will be interesting!!! Did I mention that it's the day after I get back from my honeymoon????
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I interviewed and now have a job as a kinder teacher! I'm excited. It's a year round school and I teach a morning and an afternoon kinder. The kids are great and really funny. Tomorrow marks the end of my first week and I'm happy. I really enjoy it.
This district has been good to me and the pay is better than I thought it would be for a new teacher. YAY!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Congratulations BDE! I think kindergarten would be so fun to teach!

BTW, if anyone is looking for lesson plans, my company helped to develop these:
www.discoverdairy.com

The series was designed for use in Pennsylvania, but most of the material, especially the animal care and nutrition lessons, are applicable pretty much nationwide. The lessons meet the following educational standards (at least in PA):

• Environment & Ecology: 4.2.4, 4.3.4, 4.4.4, 4.8.4, 4.9.4

• Science & Technology: 3.3.4, 3.6.4

• Health, Safety and Physical Education: 10.1.3, 10.2.3

• Economics: 6.1.3, 6.2.3, 6.3.3

• Food Science & Nutrition: 11.3.3

• Mathematics: 2.6.3

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgirl View Post
I know how you feel! I got a job teaching Kindergarten this fall so in the process of getting ready for that, I am also getting married next Friday, moving into my fiancee's house, and working my other job. Plus the teacher I'm working with got married 2 weeks ago and has been on her honeymoon so we haven't had much time to get together and get ready. Open house will be interesting!!! Did I mention that it's the day after I get back from my honeymoon????
I hope you've survived your first few weeks of teaching! I'm alive....Some days I feel like I've got it together and others not at all. Hopefully tomorrow will be a "together" day!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently off track but I go back October 1st. I'm actually looking forward to seeing my little rugrats again. I have lots planned.
We have a field trip in October as well as a Fall carnival at the school in early November. Then we have our holiday program & parties in December before we go on holiday break AND I am off track in January!!! w00t!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I am excited to say that I am finally going after my dream of being a teacher. The time is right because there is a huge shortage of teachers in this district. I am working on my certification application for Secondary English. I want to be a teacher more than anything. I am very happy. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I substitute-taught for two and a half years. Full-time teaching did not work out for me; but while I was in library school and while waiting till it started I substitute-taught, and I would NOT trade it for anything in the world. I got to see so many kinds of classrooms and students and teaching methods. The experiences I had and the things I learned would not have been picked up anywhere else.

Do not let anyone put you down simply because you have been subbing for so long. I enjoyed it very much. Substitute teachers are irreplaceable.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 AM
wreckingcrew

I'm 3 months into my first year of teaching. Teaching freshman Biology and sophomore Integrated Physics and Chemistry (IPC). The IPC one is pretty interesting, especially since I never took Chem or Physics in college. 'Tis a great job, can hardly believe I get paid to have so much fun.

Kitso
KS 361 snarky comments I've had students make and I can't reprimand them cause I'm laughing too hard
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I start teaching this week! I am a substitute teacher, so I have a lot of different jobs lined up. Having kindergarten one day and then middle school math on another day is kinda crazy! I am excited.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck smiley!

I am off track again and don't return until February 4th. I like this year round schedule. Of course, I'll probably grumble when I'm working June, July, and August while everyone else is off but it still works great.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm originally from SE Ohio and decided to get the hell out of dodge when I got my degree. I accepted a position in Clearwater Florida teaching 8th grade Reading, my dream job And get this, my school is going about 5 minutes away from the beach, heck yeah!

I never subbed and just went straight into teaching, thankfully it's worked out nicely. My hubby subs now and has had numerous offers from schools to teach whenever he finishes his bachelors.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so happy I have found this thread! It has given me some great advice! I recently graduated with a BAE in Secondary Education. Since I graduated in the middle of the year, I knew I would be subbing most of the time.

I am finding it is harder than ever in this job market to find a job! While I am now working a few days a week at a small, private school, and starting to sub the rest of the days. It is so hard to find a perament job for the fall. Any ideas on where to look in this job search? I have already checked out sites like teachers-teachers.com and the local school districts, but no one is listing any openings yet.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I was pink slipped today.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry to hear that! I know you will find an even better teaching job. I am a bit worried I am going to get let go, too, since our enrollment is slipping. I guess I just have to wait and see... Good luck to you, BetteDavisEyes!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I just graduated and I currently sub-I don't want to teach, but I do like subbing.

I want a regular job before the school year ends, preferrably something that utilizes my skills (English & Women's Studies Major). I've been putting myself out there and all that they seem to be offering is customer service and telemarketing! I want a real job, if I wanted to sell things I'd have just stayed in the mall. I really hate this. I don't know where to look anymore.