GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,493
4 members and 1,489 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

It has to be much cheaper to sell stuff without the expense of having an actual store -- I'm sure that has something to do with it, right?

I don't know. I'd never do sales in a million years, but I like some Avon stuff. However, I HATE WITH A PASSION anything that involves parties, except Tupperware because that's funny in a retro sort of way. NOBODY WANTS TO HAVE OR ATTEND THOSE PARTIES. Seriously.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
NOBODY WANTS TO HAVE OR ATTEND THOSE PARTIES. Seriously.
What she said......
Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 PM

Avon has better stuff.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
With regards to companies like Mary Kay, AVON, Partylite, that scrapbooking company (I forget the name), AMWAY, Pampered Chef and Market America.....

IF THE PRODUCTS ARE SO WONDERFUL, WHY DON'T THEY SELL THEM IN STORES?
One of Mary Kay's points was that while yes it is cheaper than to sell it to a store, she wanted women to do it. She wanted women who wanted a career and out of their old "job" to find a new "career" with mary kay.

Also I think Avon and Mary Kay products are wonderful. Both have great anti-aging skin care. So they are good.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
Because they're more elite

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
You know, in spite of recent "elite" postings (which have me laughing out loud), there's an element of truth in your statement. At least for the Longaberger basket company.... They've said in the past that they prefer to keep baskets out of stores to preserve exclusivity. That their products can't just be bought in any old Wal-Mart - a customer has to really seek them out (sometimes). Works for them I guess, and perhaps there's a bit of that angle in other home show / direct selling companies!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:51 PM

Off topic a bit, but does Avon still make those pins for kids that have lip balm in them? I remember my mom getting those for me as a child. It would be a pin of a ladybug or something and on the back a little secret compartment would screw off and had lip balm in it. They were cool.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwright25
Longaberger basket company
You know, someone is going to have to explain the allure of these things to me, because I just don't get it. I mean, I could see if we all were skipping to market and needed heavy duty baskets, but other than that, what's the point??
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irishpipes
Off topic a bit, but does Avon still make those pins for kids that have lip balm in them? I remember my mom getting those for me as a child. It would be a pin of a ladybug or something and on the back a little secret compartment would screw off and had lip balm in it. They were cool.
OMG those were awesome. There were ones with solid cologne, too. I had a ton of them -- I remember one that was shaped like an apple with a worm.

Also, wtf are Longaberger baskets? Are they just baskets?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
OMG those were awesome. There were ones with solid cologne, too. I had a ton of them -- I remember one that was shaped like an apple with a worm.
I remember those too...they were awesome. My memories go to the solid cologne ones too, not lip balm...ha ha

And here is WTF Longberga baskets are:
http://www.longaberger.com/
I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one anytime soon..
Old 02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

OMGWTFBBQ:

http://www.longaberger.com/longaberg...06/10476_a.jpg

That isht is $299.00. I'm not kidding. WTF?!!!

Wow, baskets and oh la la country-looking curtains. That sounds about as exciting as a scrapbooking party. Ew.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
OMGWTFBBQ.
LOL...you crack me up.

I know what OMG is.
I know what WTF is.

What's BBQ? Barbeque? It doesn't seem to fit, given the context. Thanks?!

LMAO about the "That sounds about as exciting as a scrapbooking party"...I hate that isht too.

PS I had a date with a guy last night who sells for "Market America", which is why I am so freaked out about these "cult businesses" right now. Suffice it to say, there will be no 2nd date. I was afraid that I would not be able to leave the restaurant with my life....
Old 02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I just throw on the BBQ even though it doesn't make sense because it's like I have to say OMG and WTF and I have to say something else too to really, effectively convey the dismay I am feeling and BBQ is a nice, random, three-letter thing to throw on the end. LOL.

Market America sounds really hot -- does it involve everybody in the country setting up a tiny grocery store in his or her house?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Market America sounds really hot -- does it involve everybody in the country setting up a tiny grocery store in his or her house?
I think it's an Intar-Mall...you never need to leave your house! You buy EVERYTHING from home.
I said to him, straight up, "So is it like Amway?" and he of course told me that it was NOT. Yeah, whatever buddy.

It reminds me of that scene in "Go" where Scott Wolf and some other dude are kidnapped by that guy on the TV show "Invasion" [William Fichtner] and they think they are going to be made into sex slaves, but actually the guy just wants them to sell "Confederated Products" for him. And both Scott Wolf and Jay Mohr go "You want us to SELL AMWAY??"

A classic moment, if ever there was!!

(I just found this synopsis here:
"Adam and Zack get more than they bargained for in their dealings with a cop named Burke (William Fichtner) in order to secure his favour with regards to a drug infraction they've committed. In exchange for the favour, Burke presents them with a proposal to join Confederated Products, an Amway-like "business"... ")

---------------
http://www.marketamerica.com
Look at what we are missing out on...LOL
"Market America is changing how the world does business. Most companies sell their products to the masses. Our products are designed around one individual - YOU.

By using the latest advancements in Internet technology, One-to-One Marketing and information analysis, Market America opens a personal portal to a new world of customized products and services. Our products are not mass-produced; they are mass-customized to meet your everyday needs.

To some companies, change is frightening. Embracing relationships with our customers and independent distributors gives Market America the ability to meet market demands as they shift. The unique ability to shift with the market is built upon the information gathered, stored, analyzed and mined. We know exactly what our customers want and we deliver it right to their door.

Tell us what you want."

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 02-24-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha, I've never seen that.

Maybe this is weird, but I don't even know what Amway is. Do they sell laundry detergent for wacked-out religious fundamentalists in the rural midwest?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:17 PM

One of my babysitters was into AMWAY for a while. Like MK and AVON, they do sell makeup and skin care, but they sell household stuff too (cleaners, vitamins, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.)