GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 2,152
2 members and 2,150 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-18-2005, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by APhi Sailorgirl
I hope your agency counsel is aware of this. Govt employees can get in a lot of trouble if not first checking about outside employment. I experienced this with a guy who started doing real estate.

sorry about the hijack

I like mary kay satin hands stuff, but i get on ebay, my mom's sales lady is too pushy.
Actually if you are active duty you have to ask your commander for permission. Then it will go to legal to make sure that there are no "shady dealings" I have seen 99% on off duty employment approved.

If you are a government empployee (in the GS/WG system) the governemnt has nothing to do with an outside job. We can't make a big deal about it its in the Union Contract.

As for contractos its whats in your agreement w/your company. Goverment no control over you.

Bottom line you are not "suppose" to sell at work.

As long as you are smart no one cares
Old 12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
I thought about being a consultant at The Body Shop, but we had one of those parties in my sorority, and no one out of the 20 girls bought anything. I felt bad for the consultant, but it made me realize how hard it can be!

Quote:
Originally posted by gpb1874
sounds crazy. i am a consultant for The Body Shop at Home and it's fun. I don't make much and probably won't be doing it too much longer just b/c i have other things i want to concentrate on. we don't keep inventory. you can keep a few things, but not much. i think there is actually a percentage you can keep, but i don't keep it so i don't worry about. there are sales goals to meet every quarter, but it isn't too much. and we get into major trouble if we sell on ebay, at least if you are an active consultant. not sure about any recourse if your are no longer an official consultant. my upline leader is not pushy and understands that some are in it to make a lot of money and then there are people like me who love the product and needed another thing to do.

i still use some MK products at the ripe old age of almost 30. i love the makeup compact that you can switch out shades whenever. i buy MK from a friend and she buys some The Body Shop stuff from me. it's rather funny.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:50 PM

I don't really understand the appeal of companies of AVON or Mary Kay. As a consumer, I like to walk into a store, try a product out and buy it and walk out with it all-in-one trip.....none of this "waiting around for delivery" business for me!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
I don't really understand the appeal of companies of AVON or Mary Kay. As a consumer, I like to walk into a store, try a product out and buy it and walk out with it all-in-one trip.....none of this "waiting around for delivery" business for me!

Just my 2 cents.
Many consultants actually keep the products in stock... So you do leave with it the day you buy it... My Mary Kay consultant and friend has had everything in stock that I have bought from her thus far... And the nice part is she comes to me and delivers... I don't even have to take the step of going to the store...
Old 12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I have gotten involved with Arbonne International. Its a network marketing product with the most amazing all natural products. You don't have to buy lots of products or anything.... its great! I love it!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by MReed1081
I have gotten involved with Arbonne International. Its a network marketing product with the most amazing all natural products. You don't have to buy lots of products or anything.... its great! I love it!
I've been bombarded by 3 people about getting involved in that. One of them was like pressuring me into having a party, but I kept saying I wasn't interested. Another sent me a long email about how she thought about me and how this would be a great opportunity for me. I tried, as politely as possible, to decline.

I'd go with Avon if I were to get into that but one of my best friends already sells it.

KLTC
Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

About Mary kay

I've just started with Mk and like the fact that I can make money from home, meet new people, and unlike the makeup you buy at the store, ours comes with a money back guarantee or exchange. Try that at your local Walmart! I deliver to you or ship anywhere in the country. Check out my website @http://www.marykay.com/awillis7980
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I could write a a book about Mary Kay, in fact, I will, in the future. Right now, you can visit my sites about this company at www.thepinkingshears.org

I appreciate this forum because your membership seems to keep reality about what Mary Kay is really about.

I posted a new thread to Watch Out for Mary Kay because it simply is not all what it seems.

If you want to be one of those Cadillac earners - you MUST perpetually recruit and offspring units getting the most inventory out of new recruits and be willing to quickly move on to the next one to get the same!

Looking forward to sharing my insight with you. I am a former director in Mary Kay and did it the "new way" whereby you purchase your directorship by activating some of your recruits to "finish". It's common in Mary Kay, to cheat your way up, then take the praise and recognition and awe of your unit members making them think you "earned" this the right way. Sure, you have people who were legitimate recruits, but nothing stops some of them to get what they want and I found myself doing the same thing, but soon left as I could not keep up the charade anymore. Many of them have kept it up for decades and think nothing of it.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
I've been bombarded by 3 people about getting involved in that. One of them was like pressuring me into having a party, but I kept saying I wasn't interested. Another sent me a long email about how she thought about me and how this would be a great opportunity for me. I tried, as politely as possible, to decline.

I'd go with Avon if I were to get into that but one of my best friends already sells it.

Mary Kay women are TAUGHT that NO means maybe! You will continue to be bombarded like this! You have to be rude to them for them to really get it. If you are nice, their director will encourage them to try again.

In my opinion, Avon is a better choice and it is surpasses Mary Kay in sales. MK sales are nothing more than sales to consultants whereby Avon product ordered by their reps is already sold, as it is an order business and the product is very comparable!

Laura
www.thepinkingshears.org
Old 02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ilddd3
just my two cents

I was a consultant for Arbonne and had joined with my 2 best friends. I should not have taken this on with friends. It was a lot of pressure to keep up my sales as they were not doing so well and I already hold a full time job that I love. I thought it would be fun to have the parties and make sales, but after a while with my full time job the deliverys and such were just too much. Liked giving the presentations though.

Robin
Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

laura ryan - I think that it isn't correct to say that the entire site is the "truth" about MK. While that might be true for the people that those things happened to, it is NOT the truth for everyone.

I have honestly had nothing but a positive experience so far.

And to say that sales are nothing but sales to a rep is also a very broad term. As I've mentioned before, no consultant is ever forced to order inventory of any sort. Everyone makes that decision for themself.

I am not going to begin an argument here, because I really do have better things to do - but I just wanted to let that be known out there than websites such as those are not the story for everyone. Many, many women have very positive experiences.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand what you are saying - for time spent ordering, packaging and delivering, it's not worth it. I had a full time job too, which I'd never leave for a Mary Kay career since it IS a direct selling business and direct selling does not have a good record of MOST people succeeding. They have their few thousandaires, and a couple of millionaires, but it takes longevity and early in to be in that elite group of .0003%!

I liked sharing about the makeup. I still use alot of the product - I just hate the tactics some of the sales reps use on the public and other reps to pressure them to inventory load. I can be a great salesperson because my enthusiasm for some of the products is genuine - I just couldn't do what was required to sustain directorship (recruiting all the time) - got sick of that real fast.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
laura ryan - I think that it isn't correct to say that the entire site is the "truth" about MK. While that might be true for the people that those things happened to, it is NOT the truth for everyone.

I have honestly had nothing but a positive experience so far.

And to say that sales are nothing but sales to a rep is also a very broad term. As I've mentioned before, no consultant is ever forced to order inventory of any sort. Everyone makes that decision for themself.

I am not going to begin an argument here, because I really do have better things to do - but I just wanted to let that be known out there than websites such as those are not the story for everyone. Many, many women have very positive experiences.
I have no desire to engage in a debate about what's on the site or argue with you because there is nothing to argue about. There are people who have great experiences in MK and people who don't. My site represents those who don't and there are thousands of sites that represent those who do.

I just posted it because there are people who are seeking to find information about Mary Kay and we have a very good collection of information, opinions and experiences that DO represent a part of the Mary Kay experience that MANY women have encountered and can identify with . With good comes bad. Never have I said ALL have bad experiences, so no need to argue. You are correct that many have great experiences.

My site supports them too and I support them personally if they are not pressuring people to do things they don't want to do. In fact, I have active directors pretty high up in rank who mentor the consultants on the Pink Group which I created on my site.

There is, unfortunately, abuse, lying and cheating in Mary Kay and that's what we talk about. If such things are not welcome to talk about on this forum, I will gladly leave and apologize for the invasion. This thread seemed neutral and people seemed to be inquiring about the opportunity.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

That's understandable.

Really it's just another one of those "You get what you put into it" sort of things.

I would never leave my career for a full-time MK gig, because that's just not what I want to do in life for a career.

If some people do, that's their business

I personally do not put a ton of effort into the booking, selling, and recruiting thing. I probably will never recruit anyone, not really because I can't, but because I don't want to. I've made very clear to my director that this is just for fun because I enjoy doing it, and I enjoy working with people, and I've been fortunate that she doesn't pressure me into doing something that I just don't want to (recruit 98173982734 people, buy $329837298374293 worth of inventory, etc) and I still get treated with the same respect that the Red Jackets and everyone else gets.

I've also found several message boards/forums/email groups etc. that get "invaded" with MK haters which I really don't understand. If you hate it, fine, move on and do something you enjoy! There's no point in ruining perfectly good discussions about marketing ideas or whatever to talk about all the "evils" of MK. (Not saying that you're doing that here, just something that I've noticed elsewhere)

You really have to be strong about what YOU want to do with your business. Like if you don't want to order inventory, then don't. No big deal. Or if you don't have time to hold 500 facials in a month, it's all gravy! And I think that goes across with any company whether it be MK, Avon, or primary employer. To say that things like that ONLY happen in MK and not any other company I t hink is a very broad statement. Stuff happens like that all the time (check out Enron for example )

Last edited by texas*princess; 02-21-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess

Sorry that was taken out of context, I WAS ONLY comparing to Avon and should have said something like:

As opposed to Avon, where product is SOLD FIRST, then ordered, "sales" in Mary Kay are mostly orders by consultants of product which is unsold.

That might even be too general, but MK doesn't supply figures on how much product is actually sold to the public, nor is there any way to track it.