GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,682
2 members and 1,680 guests
Tridentia

Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Mary Kay?

My older sister told me "everyone goes through a Mary Kay phase"and I think I caught the bug temporarily.

I don't plan on making it a career or anything, just something to do for fun. Plus, I use tihs stuff and it's awesome so it just makes economical sense!

What are your (or people you know) experiences w/ selling Mary Kay?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a new rep and if you work @ building your customer base you really can earn alot of $$ doing it. My Nationals Director is a millionare. So - it can be just for fun to earn a few $$ on the side - or you can turn it into a full time job, or - I also know some people that just use it to get the 50% discount on cosmetics.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends started out as a rep while she did her student teaching, she said she does enough sales without trying to keep her discount and thats all she is really in it for.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

The people who I know that sell Mary Kay

1) Sell it to their family and friends at their price so they can get their own discount. They maybe place two big orders a year.

2) Sell it as a career on the side, along with Herbalife or other supplments and do it yourself sales like PartyLites, Princess House, etc.

3) Sell it as a full-time career and actually make good money because it is their passion and full time focus.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:55 AM
cutiepatootie

my best friend sells it and enjoys it. She is a legal secretary in delaware works a few days there does mary kay the other days has time for family and makes some good profits off of it

Last edited by cutiepatootie; 02-21-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RioLambdaAlum Send a message via Yahoo to RioLambdaAlum
The gal I go to does it for a living and must do very well cause she is able to keep majority of the stuff on stock at her house. She keeps telling me I should do it...I have yet to listen.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RioLambdaAlum
The gal I go to does it for a living and must do very well cause she is able to keep majority of the stuff on stock at her house. She keeps telling me I should do it...I have yet to listen.
That's awesome My unit director has a whole BOOKSHELF (one of those big ones w/ several rows) of MK stuff I do have an inventory, but not anything close to hers
Old 11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
may kay always have their convention in dallas. about 3-4 months ago i was taking the rail into downtown dallas and a butt load of ladies dressed in red got on. they had their ribbons and awards on their jackets. anyways, i made conversation with them and asked about their stay and stuff. i think the convention lasted 2-3 weeks because i saw them almost every day.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

While I tried MK once, I've never gotten used to it. But, there IS a woman with a Pink Cadillac about a half mile from my house!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RioLambdaAlum
See, you should listen and get thay Pink Cadillac!

Think Pink!

Last edited by Tickled Pink 2; 11-07-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I sell MaryKay and there are things you should know about direct sales. First of all, everything is a write off, but you still have to spend money to make money. I had to put in a bulk order for my first order (first order must be at least $400) and if you buy so much you get so much for free. I have been doing it for 2 1/2 months and have sold 2 things- one lipstick and one mascara. I have "donated" most of it or given my supply away as gifts to try to get repeat customers- no bites so far. I tried to market it but I am too busy. This is very much part time. I do it mostly for the discount, but I do know people who have done well with it. I am not the sales type. I think when I was talked into doing it, I was not aware of everything that was involved, and had I known all I had to buy (you spend way more than the $100 starter kit) I would not have done it. It's not for everyone, it's not for me, but I still do it because MK is all I will use. I love the product, and the company is great, but sales is not for everyone.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the insight, asalady. It seems that a lot of people are blinded by this thought that they're going to make all of this money, but lose sight of the reality. I have seen a lot of people hurt financially by trying to get into this kinda thing.

When you try to get into a business like this, you risk your own money, you risk alienating your friends who don't want to get hit up for $$$, etc. Not a lot of young people use Mary Kay products, so it could definitely be a tough sell. Plus there are already so many other people selling that you're competing against your own people. And Mary Kay certainly has somewhat of an image problem among young people. I know they're trying to fix that with Mark, but so far it isn't working, to my knowledge. Heck, I have tried some of their products over the years and thought they were pretty crappy- both makeup and skin care.

I just posted recently in the Random thread about a chapter sister who I haven't spoken to in years, and wasn't close with to begin with at all, who IMed me asking me to either join her Mary Kay team or buy products from her. People in general do NOT like being approached to buy stuff, and resent it because it makes them feel guilty. Making money by making your friends/coworkers/familiy feel guilty is NOT a good way to do business or to keep your friends.

/my early morning rant on the possible pittfalls of selling stuff like this.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
And Mary Kay certainly has somewhat of an image problem among young people. I know they're trying to fix that with Mark, but so far it isn't working, to my knowledge.
Mark is not a Mary Kay line; it is an Avon line.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
Mark is not a Mary Kay line; it is an Avon line.
My bad, lol. I guess I tend to mix up Mary Kay and Avon. Sorry!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with you, dani. As a stay at home mom (temporarily) Avon really fit more with giving me something to do. Unlike MK, you don't have to have an inventory, you really don't HAVE to buy anything. I explored a lot of options before jumping in, and it's been a blast so far. I've been making some money, and I have a really good time doing it! I guess I'm more at ease, because I know that I havent' sunk SO much into it that I'm stuck! Plus, Avon has SUCH a variety of products and the prices are a lot more reasonable. Just my .02....