GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,415
1 members and 1,414 guests
AOIIalum

Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Office attire basics

What are some basic wardrobe pieces that I can get to mazimize my work attire options without breaking the bank? I figure black pants and black skirts are musts, but what else? I'm completely clueless (I currently work in a lab and a vineyard...dressing nice for work is not really a good idea!)
Old 08-19-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Gray pants/skirts as well as khaki. Gray is nice b/c you can get dark and light and still have lots of options for your top.

I don't own anything navy.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Nice black shoes. Solid color tops (even t shirts work) that aren't low cut or too tight.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
brown is a great alternative too. get creative with the colors you mix with it.

a few years ago, JC Penny used to carry good mix and match pieces for women.....jackets, pants, short and long skirts, etc. they were pretty reasonable. i think they still carry them. i always like to have a few signature pieces....like a really cute skirt or top that everyone ohhs and ahhhs over. other than those, i try to keep it pretty simple and get colors that will match with other pieces i already have.

try not to buy lots of shoes. i've been buying a few more than in the past, but only b/c i'm making a little more money. keep it simple....heels and/or flats in black, brown and whatever other basics you may need.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I travel a lot and buy my work clothes from Ann Taylor. They have a triacetate (sp?) line that mixes and matches well. I tend to stick with black bottoms, shoes, handbags - just because I travel so much. I'll brighten up the outfit with a bright top. I also like to wear sweater sets and you can wear the cardigan buttoned up over a white tank for another look. I tend to spend more money on my work clothes, but I think its better to buy classic items that will carry you thru a couple of seasons.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

I'm a Talbots girl! You can't beat their petite sizes. We have three different Talbots stores within a half hour drive from me-- so I'm pretty spoiled. Talbots has the best sales!

Think "classic" when you buy, and look for good fabrics that will last you. If something costs more-- so what-- if you will be able to wear it for the next ten years. I literally have an Ann Klein skirted suit that I've worn for 15 years. It looks sensational, and never goes out of style.

I'd rather see you buy a few good pieces that you can mix and match for years to come.. then to buy lots of cheapo outfits.

Go to the nice stores (Nieman Marcus, Saks, etc) just to LOOK. Feel the fabrics. Look at how the buttons are made. Pay attention to seam construction and the zippers.

Then... go to lower priced stores and look for that same type of construction. Sometimes you can get very fortunate with some great buys at TJ Max or Marshalls... but you really, really have to look.

Look for natural fabrics-- or at least natural fabric blends. But a caution about linen-- it wrinkles like crazy. You can find beautiful linen blends that LOOK like pure linen but stand up better to a full day at work.

Try to avoid rayon at all costs.. it looks cheap.

John Molloy wrote a book called "A Women's Guide to Dress for Success" many years ago. The styles are outdated, but he gives VERY good advice on building a wardrobe and how to find expensive looking clothes for less. You can probably still find it in your local library. Worth reading.

I think you made a great start with a black pair of pants and a black skirt. Now, go crazy with blazers! Look for some good wool blends (Lands End has some beautiful career jackets), silk blends and linen blends. Buy some different color cotten or knit shells to go under them.

You can also buy a pair of white pants (they go with most colored blazers) for summer, and a pair of tan (khaki) colored. Grey is nice too. Just keep them classic. Pleats don't look good on anyone-- keep them flat fronted. I would also avoid cuffs on the bottom because they go in and out of style, and unless you're very tall, you probably can't carry them off.

I agree too with the advice to go easy on the shoes. Get two comfy pair of shoes for your dress pants (black goes with nearly everything), a pair of shoes to go with your skirt outfits, and maybe one pair of summer shoes.

I also have a very good black leather "portfolio bag." It's a soft-sided (over the shoulder attache case) that I put my purse and my lunch in. It looks very professional.

Do not wear flip flops. Do not buy "bar clothes" for work. Don't dress sexy, dress classic and professional. No plunging necklines, no "too short" skirts. Don't get caught in the "dress down Friday" trap. Dress down doesn't usually mean jeans.. it means khakis and a blazer or button down blouse.

Remember, you want to be taken seriously. You want to look professional. Always dress for the job you WANT not the one you have.

Last edited by blueangel; 08-20-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Blueangel gave some very good advice and you can help me shop anyday.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I bought several long silk skirts from Harolds over the years. For work, I'll pair them with a sweater set or nice silk pullover top. And the skirts are versatile, so if you want to dress it down or funk it up, they look cute with denim tops/jean jackets. Its hard just starting out and I always try to get pieces that I can dress up for work, but also dress down for more casual occasions.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Beanblossom1; 08-20-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Ann Taylor Loft and Casual Corner Annex is a GIFT to all in the tight-clothing-budget price range. It's still high quality, classic stuff, but for VERY cheap. I got a dress and two shirts at Ann Taylor Loft for $35 the other day.

As for me, I have a grey, navy, garnet, and sand-colored suit. My grey suit I have both a skirt and pants for, and that is the best purchase ever. As far as price, the grey, navy, and garnet suits I got at Casual Corner Annex for under $100. The sand-colored one I got from Limited for probably around $150.

And other things are, eveery once in a while Lerner will have a sale for multiple collared shirts... go and BUY THEM OUT!!! You can NEVER have too many collared shirts. And if you're on a really cheap budget, Target (pronounced, Tar-Jay) has collared shirts, too... just watch, because those are cheap and they will shrink and you're back at square one. :-)
Old 08-20-2005, 03:11 PM

CarolinaDG, are the Ann Taylor Loft and Casual Corner Annex in the Gaffney outlets or are they somewhere in Charlotte, NC?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
I love slinky knits, they don't wrinkle and they're light and airy.

Also, if you can find a nice wardrober set, usually 4-5 pieces of a coordinating fabric/color: pants, skirt, jacket, shirt, sometime a dress too.

And get LOTS of shirts. You can double wear pants, no one'll know, but you can't wear a shirt again for at least 2 weeks, so get more of those.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beanblossom1
I travel a lot and buy my work clothes from Ann Taylor. They have a triacetate (sp?) line that mixes and matches well. I tend to stick with black bottoms.
I love this stuff! The triacetate hangs beautifully, and doesn't wrinkle. Ann Taylor has used the same fabric for four years now, I think. So, it's possible to pick up a new piece and goes with with what you already have. (Which in my case is three blazers, two skirts, two pairs of pants, a sheath dress, and a shell.)

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ztawinthropgirl
CarolinaDG, are the Ann Taylor Loft and Casual Corner Annex in the Gaffney outlets or are they somewhere in Charlotte, NC?
The Casual Corner Annex that I got my suits from is the one in Gaffney. I think there's an Ann Taylor Loft there now, too, but I'm not sure. The one I'm referring to is at Concord Mills.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

All the advice above is GREAT!!! One thing I've noticed recently (and someone mentioned above) is you definitely can have less pants/skirts than tops. I would recommend 1-2 pairs of black pants that you love; a black skirt (knee-length or just above the knee); charcoal gray pants/skirt; khaki pants/skirt; white pants (like someone above said they look very sharp with most colors. Just make sure they are NOT tight or see-through); light gray pants/skirt. As for tops, go with basics. If your office is business casual I would (as others recommended) invest in a variety of colors of button down shirts. Banana Republic carries some great fitted ones at their outlets for about 25 bucks each. I would also get basic nicer short sleeve/long sleeve tops and fitted sweaters in a variety of colors you like. Avoid the basic black and white for everything…you'll get bored without some color! Most colors are great to interchange with the above pants and skirts.

I would AVOID navy anything. It is really hard to match with shoes and you'll end up frustrated because you have these great navy pants and nothing to wear them with.

Also, check out sales online and in stores…you can get great deals if you know the size you wear. I do this often at J.Crew and Banana and on their respective websites. Also check out Smartbargains.com. It's the Loehmanns website…I've gotten some great deals on there.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

Great advice. I do, however, think you can do navy.
Black shoes go fine with navy pants-- and if you read the "Dress for Success" books, John Molloy found that navy blue is the best color to interview in.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh you guys, please be careful with white pants. They can go wrong so easily. The other day at work a woman was wearing a white skirt, and I really didn't need to know about her thong but I sure did.