GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,245
3 members and 1,242 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 05-27-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mu_agd
They bought in a new development that is going up and a think a lot of the delays have been due to the hurricanes and getting the supplies there. Although they've also said that they they have to build the clubhouse and pools and all that fun stuff before they put up most of the houses. So they're in the group that's being built after that stuff. I think they're delayed about a year now though.
I figured that was the problem. I've heard that a lot of people are having trouble getting their homes built since builders are still busy making repairs. I know that some roofers are booked all the way through the end of September! Hopefully another hurricane (or 4) doesn't come through Florida again and set people back even further.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Banned

How have the insurance claims been? Have the companies settled with homeowners yet? Or is that process still continuing?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
I figured that was the problem. I've heard that a lot of people are having trouble getting their homes built since builders are still busy making repairs. I know that some roofers are booked all the way through the end of September! Hopefully another hurricane (or 4) doesn't come through Florida again and set people back even further.
Seriously. That would be bad! Luckily for them, it's not urgent for them to get the house built. They were just hoping to escape another winter!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:09 AM

It's still continuing which is partly why some people have not made repairs to their homes. When I was still in Orlando a few weeks ago, there was a house in my neighborhood that had the roofing wood exposed. There's no way that house could be liveable! My roommate's home had just a tiny bit of wood exposed from where the shingles had been ripped out and we had severe interior water damage. I can only imagine what that other house looks like on the inside. My neighbor had just gotten her roof repaired in March which was 6 months after the final hurricane hit. Allstate kept giving her the runaround. I wrote about some of the problems people were having in a post a few months ago. Insurance companies didn't and still don't want to hand out the money that their customers deserve. I will say that my roommate had nothing but a great experiene with State Farm and I know many others were the same way. They gave their customers money immediately and gave them more than enough to fix all the repairs. Allstate, Nationwide and a few others are still denying claims to many customers (and going to court in some cases).
I just really hope another hurricane doesn't come through and devastate Florida like the 4 last year. It could be really bad....
I think the best thing to come out of this is that people all over Florida know now that a hurricane can hit them and not just South Florida. Dade and Broward County (Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area) have very stringent hurricane codes. All homes must built to withstand 120mph winds and only a certain type of roofing tile is allowed to prevent the winds from ripping them out (which is what happened with my roommate's asphalt tiles thus causing water to seep in from where the nails were ripped out). I have a feeling all of Florida will adopt those codes.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 05-27-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

My parents are still waiting for their insurance $$$. They received a letter sometime in the Fall saying their claim needed a closer review (or some crap). Then about two weeks later my mom read in the paper that the company that Allstate contracted with to provide my parents their hurricane coverage had gone bankrupt.

Sometime in November FEMA contacted my parents and let them know they'd be suing on their behalf to help them recover the insurance money that was owed to them.

Oh, and I shouldn't forget to mention FEMA had to intervene in the lawsuit against my parents from the City. When the contractors came out to fix my parents' house, they never returned to haul off the debris (as they were supposed to do), so the City sued my parents for several thousand dollars.

ETA: What's most infuriating about Allstate denying my parents' claim is that where they live, they've never been hit by a hurricane (they've lived in that house since 1966), so they've never had to make a claim. When they finally do, it's denied.

Last edited by WCUgirl; 05-27-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 PM

I had an interview today! It was at the Home Builder's Association of Greenville, SC. The interview was for the Membership Director position. Basically, the position is to maintain the current membership and recruit others. I would have to maintain the membership and recruit by marketing the organization to local builders by setting up workshops to view new products and update builders on legal issues they may not be aware of. Cross your fingers though!

BTW, I have given this much thought and I am going to postpone my legal education. I am going to apply to Middle Tennessee State University and, hopefully, enter their Master of Fine Arts program for Recording Arts and Technologies. Like I said earlier in the thread, I want to open my own recording label and studio so I believe this would be the best for my situation and me. If I ever decide to go to law school I'll keep you informed!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:29 PM

I found out today I didn't get the job because the lack of experience situation. I am never going to get a job so I might as well settle for the sales associate job at Target forever. This means $50,000 went to waste for a useless degree. Yes, I do suffer from a form of depression and right now I am at my lowest point I have ever been at. For those of you who are religious, please keep my job situation and mental health in your prayers. For those of you who aren't religious, please keep me in your thoughts.

I am forever an over-educated part-time Target sales associate without benefits. Peace.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't let that discourage you. I'm currently working in membership at a country club, and while I'm not the membership director, I have a WONDERFUL boss who understands that's what I'm working towards, and has pretty much let me dive right in on that position for hands-on experience. I will tell you, it's a bit tricky to get into because for the most part the people who do that have TONS of sales experience, and no experience in that field, or tons of experience in that field, and completely random degrees (hello... music major here). It sucks right now (though getting better) because 9 times out of 10 from what I've heard, people who are hiring are hiring for very very specific experience. Just keep plugging away, and enjoy getting a paycheck from Target for now.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry things are looking bad right now....I will definitely add you to my prayer list! Don't give up!!! Things have a way of turning around when you least expect them to!

Quote:
Originally posted by ztawinthropgirl
I found out today I didn't get the job because the lack of experience situation. I am never going to get a job so I might as well settle for the sales associate job at Target forever. This means $50,000 went to waste for a useless degree. Yes, I do suffer from a form of depression and right now I am at my lowest point I have ever been at. For those of you who are religious, please keep my job situation and mental health in your prayers. For those of you who aren't religious, please keep me in your thoughts.

I am forever an over-educated part-time Target sales associate without benefits. Peace.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 PM

Finding a job isn't easy...especially in this economy. Even people with 10 years experience aren't finding it easy to get a job.
You need to keep looking and try not to give up. During your free time, you need to network and go through the job ads. Follow up with the places you sent your resume to. Also, you may want to work through a temp agency. Many people find full time work through a job that was supposed to be temporary. Try to get in touch with recruiters in your area. They can be lots of help and they know of jobs that aren't posted on the normal job sites (monster, careerbuilder). I used a recruiter to find my current job.
You may want to contact some professors you had in college to see if they have colleagues in the area that may be looking for someone. My first job out of college was through a professor who knew someone in the company I got hired by.
Keep at it! Something will turn up!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ztawinthropgirl

Listen, just keep trying.

Ask people for advice and feedback after each interview.

Constantly network.

After some time, you are bound to at least get something.

-Rudey
Old 06-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Thanks Rudey and everyone else for your advice and support! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
I would like to bump this thread back up.

I know how the original poster feel. I'm majored in psychology and it's frustrating. I'm tried to find jobs in my field, but I had to have experience. I wanted to do research to gain experience, but I didn't meet the required grades. I had a 3.0 at the end of my junior year. I wanted to do research in my last semester, because I wanrted to get the required classes out of the way. But, I had a rough beginning of my senior year this time last year. My great-grandfather died and I was dangerously ill. My grades fell. I didn't make anything below a C, but still.

I've never had a job in my life. So, I'm trying to find a job, period. Today, I posted my resume to a local company that I would love to work there. If all fails, I might put in an application for Starbucks. It's not much, but some money is better than no money.

To ztawinthropgirl, be glad that you have a job. I know it sucks, but having a job is better than unemployment.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
I would like to bump this thread back up.

I know how the original poster feel. I'm majored in psychology and it's frustrating. I'm tried to find jobs in my field, but I had to have experience. I wanted to do research to gain experience, but I didn't meet the required grades. I had a 3.0 at the end of my junior year. I wanted to do research in my last semester, because I wanrted to get the required classes out of the way. But, I had a rough beginning of my senior year this time last year. My great-grandfather died and I was dangerously ill. My grades fell. I didn't make anything below a C, but still.

I've never had a job in my life. So, I'm trying to find a job, period. Today, I posted my resume to a local company that I would love to work there. If all fails, I might put in an application for Starbucks. It's not much, but some money is better than no money.

To ztawinthropgirl, be glad that you have a job. I know it sucks, but having a job is better than unemployment.
As someone who's been on both ends in the past year, I'll tell you that your best bet right now is to get a part-time job that you might not like so much but that will put something on your resume. As an employer, I would find it odd that you've never had a job, yet your GPA was low (no offense... not that 3.0 is bad, but it's not stellar, either). Did you volunteer a lot? Were you very active on campus? In your sorority? Put all of those things down, and that might help. In the meantime, look for any job that you can get, but don't commit to full-time unless you really want to.